Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Darganslayer said:

I have this same question- do these Sigma 1.8 zooms work well with the S1/S1H or do they effectively put it into S35 mode? I wonder if anyone has done a real world test with video samples.

Putting the Sigma 1.8 lenses on the S1 automatically puts the camera into Super 35 mode. Unfortunately, short of gaff-taping the contacts and losing aperture control, you can't use these crop lenses in full-frame mode, even though (at least with the 18-35) it covers the ff sensor just fine from about 28mm and up. I just had to buy a new ff 35mm prime for this exact reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/4/2020 at 9:09 AM, Darganslayer said:

I have this same question- do these Sigma 1.8 zooms work well with the S1/S1H or do they effectively put it into S35 mode? I wonder if anyone has done a real world test with video samples.

I believe from 20mm-ish the Sigma 18-35mm "covers" full frame somewhat with a slight crop (but the corners won't be great), or from 25mm ish without any crop. 

But you might as well buy the full frame Sigma 24-35mm f2 lens instead!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BjornT said:

S1H used for 2500 pounds on Panasonic's eBay outlet store seems like a pretty amazing deal. Shame I can't afford it:(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DC-S1HE-K-Full-Frame-Mirrorless-Camera-24-2MP-6K-Photo-Body-Only-/324058233334?hash=item4b736039f6

only for the UK im afraid. But guess these prices will become pretty common soon. And might expect a pricedrop in general when canon/sony will announce their new camera's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Platto said:

That was very good deal for refurbished S1H as new in stores are still 4k euro guess i will wait for price drop.

Hmm 2.5k that's nearly halve of what i paid in september 😪  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

 

Show me some vintage glass on this beast. This is an indie filmmakers dream! An all in one Varicam GH2 with IBIS. :) Anyone with a 20mm Canon FD on this beast?

 

hadnt seen any S1H samples with the FD's but heres a S1 video with Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 Canon FD 85mm f/1.8, and Angenieux 28-70 f/2.6 Angenieux 70-210 f/3.5.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 10:27 AM, PannySVHS said:

 

Show me some vintage glass on this beast. This is an indie filmmakers dream! An all in one Varicam GH2 with IBIS. :) Anyone with a 20mm Canon FD on this beast?

 

Check out Spencer Sakuri’s YouTube channel. I believe he uses vintage FD lenses on his test with this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 9:33 PM, Zak Forsman said:

Seems people like pairing their S1H with Leica-R lenses... and I'm one of them! I'm shooting a short doc on my brother about his comic book, "I Am Not Okay With This", as it's currently being adapted into a series for Netflix. This will be the second time he's had a comic book adapted into a series. The first was "The End of the F*cking World" which did well, however, he told me that people would see him signing copies of the original comic at cons, and accuse him of "ripping off the show". So this time, i wanted to help raise his profile a bit when "I Am Not Okay With This" is released, and it gives me something to flex my creative muscles on. 

I just watched the entire season of I Am Not OK With This in one sitting...  please pass on my congratulations to your brother - it was great stuff!

I highly recommend everyone else checks it out, it's very well done :) 

Looking forward to your doc too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 2:33 AM, Zak Forsman said:

Seems people like pairing their S1H with Leica-R lenses... and I'm one of them! I'm shooting a short doc on my brother about his comic book, "I Am Not Okay With This", as it's currently being adapted into a series for Netflix. This will be the second time he's had a comic book adapted into a series. The first was "The End of the F*cking World" which did well, however, he told me that people would see him signing copies of the original comic at cons, and accuse him of "ripping off the show". So this time, i wanted to help raise his profile a bit when "I Am Not Okay With This" is released, and it gives me something to flex my creative muscles on. Anyway, some sample stills... Panasonic S1H, Leica Summicron-R 35mm, 50mm, & 90mm. Not a final grade -- just wanted to get some images out.

Is the doco going to be Netflix as well? (do you know what "I Am Not Okay With This" was shot on?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 10:27 AM, PannySVHS said:

 

Show me some vintage glass on this beast. This is an indie filmmakers dream! An all in one Varicam GH2 with IBIS. :) Anyone with a 20mm Canon FD on this beast?

 

Here are a few frame grabs from the S1H with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 @ f/2.0. I didn't shoot the whole mini doc with FDs, but in some of the lower light scenes, I did use the 50mm a bit. 😊

P1001521.00_00_51_14.Still003.jpg

P1001521.00_00_21_04.Still007.jpg

P1001521.00_00_00_12.Still006.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...