Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

12 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

The S1H does have 4K 60p 10-bit internal. This feature alone has my Ninja V being used just to nail focus. If your computer has enough balls to process H265, why bother for files 6x the size?

Ah, I mean if they added  that feature to the S1 or introduced a new model.  Not everyone needs 6k. 

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The S1H firmware 2.0 update is now available from the Panasonic download page - https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html

(without the "RAW Video Data output over HDMI" function "due to some technical issues yet to be resolved")

Enhanced video functions / improved performance

- Downconverted output over HDMI during [6K]/[5.9K]/[5.4K] video recording is available.

- In Creative Video mode, it is possible to disable the operation of starting/stopping video recording by pressing a shutter button.

- In Creative Video mode, it is possible to set [Rec Quality(My List)] from the control panel.

- The value of noise reduction in [V-Log] in Photo Style has been expanded to [-1]. It suppress afterimages previously occurred in some situations.

- It is possible to prevent the enlarged view window of MF Assist to be output over HDMI.

- There were cases where color banding appeared in 4:2:0/10-bit video recording in some situations. This bug has been minimized.

- There were cases where the REC RUN time code did not count up when the video was not recorded on an SD Memory Card but was recorded on an external device over HDMI. This bug has been fixed.

Changed of operating specifications

- To prevent improper operation, touch-control is disabled for [Delete All] operation in playback mode. Only cursor buttons can be used for [Delete All] operation.

Improved AF performance

- It is possible to set [AF+MF] in AFC mode.

Improved compatibility with Panasonic interchangeable lenses

- It is possible to assign functions to the lens’ Fn buttons when the Panasonic LUMIX S PRO 70-200mm F2.8 O.I.S. (S-E70200) is mounted.

Improved compatibility with Sigma interchangeable lenses and mount converter

- It is possible to assign function to the Fn buttons of Sigma L-Mount interchangeable lenses.

- When attaching a lens using the Sigma MC-21 mount converter and [Image Stabilizer] > [Lens] is set to ON , Body I.S.(Image Stabilizer) suppresses roll movement.

Other added functions

- [Backlight Illumination Period] has been added to the menu of Status LCD. [ON1] prevents the LCD backlight to be turned off.

- It is possible to select the card slot to save the JPEG images developed by in-camera RAW processing.

- [0.5 SEC] has been added for an option of [Duration Time (photo)] in [Auto Review].

- [Off (Disable Press and Hold)] can be assigned to the Fn button. It disables operation when the button is long-pressed.

- Fn button can be used for checking aperture effect while the button is pressed.

Other improvements

- There were rare cases where the camera froze during [Segmented File Recording] or during recording at 400 Mbps under a particular set of conditions including the type of SD Card used. This phenomenon has been improved.

- Aperture and shutter speed can be controlled using front/rear dials when the rear monitor is set to OFF.

- There were cases where F value control failed depending on the maximum F value when non-Panasonic L-Mount lens is mounted. This bug has been fixed.

12 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

First full frame camera that's Netflix Approved, with 6K and ProRes RAW on deck? Don't hold your breath buddy!

Also the image - especially after the update - blows the competition out of the water.
Codecs are improved now - so is the color gamut/mapping and (temporal) NR can be turned off now. :)

22 minutes ago, deezid said:

It is, no more banding as it seems, will do a blue sky test tomorrow. 
Also HDMI monitoring works now with 6K recording. 

Loving the aspect ratio as well. 😄

Let us know how 6k is working, big reason to buy the camera IMHO especially if it gets a legit 12.8 stops in 6k. 

Just now, thebrothersthre3 said:

Let us know how 6k is working, big reason to buy the camera IMHO especially if it gets a legit 12.8 stops in 6k. 

The extra 0.6 stops was due to heavy NR in the 6K modes. The -1 deactivates TNR which also means these modes are finally usable without any ghosting at all. The footage looks really clean still, although not as clinical and sterile anymore, much more organic. Something you'd expect from RED cameras which also use light amount of spatial filtering.

@deezid

What´s your take on the S1 vs S1h regarding pure image quality now, after the update? Full analysis regarding ghosting, smearing, aliasing, harshness of edges and so on, as we have been appreciating it coming from you before, our dearest watcher of the cinematic VLOG image! :) cheers

5 hours ago, Mike Mgee said:

Thank you. I anxiously wait your footage.

I'll try and grab a little today. Maybe a few sky shots. I'm kinda anxious to see how the HDMI down scaling works. Would be nice to see the 4K ProRes against the 5.9K H265.