Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@deezid That would be super cool!!:) Did you come across problems with the original battery? My camera shuts off at 20% battery power left. Have been using my S1 very moderately. Issue occured after six months of usage.:/

Never happened here ;)
Maybe something is wrong with the battery.

21 hours ago, deezid said:

After firmware 2.0 I see less reasons to do so. Would love some more less cropped high frame rate options.
Overall 2.0 is quite impressive for V-Log.

Magenta tint seems gone
Orange/yellow lights won't burst into noise anymore
Sharpening seems to be turned off
Noise reduction -1 fixes the motion related issues, also much nicer grain pattern which matches the framerate (temporal NR seems to be gone entirely)

Here's a small test I did for an upcoming music video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pUW5itKQn2Jjz1pqkqh4sPxB-IgnOWgE/view?usp=sharing

Looks great! Love the colours - how did you grade it? Looks Arri-ish

• 1 month later...

@deezid.

Been a S1 user for some time and my friend just bought the S1H so using that soon a bit too and just wondered if you could let me know which codec/resolutions you shoot with most of the time and what you think provides the best quality internally? I know vlog with sharpness to -1 is the way to go but just curious if some modes have better/less quality than others or any issues you have noticed with any of them (h264, vs h265 etc) so many options compared to the S1!

Also I know people out there are on about canon and sony etc but the image quality in Vlog on the S1 and the dynamic range etc have blown me away using it.

Cheers,

Björn

On 6/3/2020 at 6:37 AM, deezid said:

Using my new V-Log Lut basically. Still developing 😅

Please share!! Just migrated over to the S1H from the pocket 6k's (missed that IBIS + EVF from my GH5) and this is some of the best base looks I've seen. Would love to test the lut out/give feedback/but it if that's something you're open to 🙂

On 6/2/2020 at 11:25 AM, deezid said:

was shot with the Canon 24-105 F4 lol in 4K 48p and 6K24p
The S1 isn't as smooth and organic in my last comparison. Need to do some further testing as soon as I am in Munich again.

How did you record in 48p? is this in VFR in 8 bit, or did you record the anamorphic mode and crop in post? Not seeing 48p 10bit as a native S35 or Full Frame option

14 hours ago, stephenkraus said:

How did you record in 48p? is this in VFR in 8 bit, or did you record the anamorphic mode and crop in post? Not seeing 48p 10bit as a native S35 or Full Frame option

48P is availabe in NTSC and Cinema modes in 10 bit on the S1H 😉

14 hours ago, stephenkraus said:

Please share!! Just migrated over to the S1H from the pocket 6k's (missed that IBIS + EVF from my GH5) and this is some of the best base looks I've seen. Would love to test the lut out/give feedback/but it if that's something you're open to 🙂

Basically done with the Lut, but have to fix the V-Log L (GH5/GH5s/G9) versions and documentation before I can update the webpage. In case you want to try it out send PM. 😉 
Old version can be found here, webpage will be updated soon:
http://55media.net/55m-s1h-color/

I remember reading an interview Yosuke Yamane where he basically said the S1H was the real passion for the L-mount and that the S1 and S1R were released first just so their was more cameras for L-mount and to give it a bit of starting momentum (paraphrasing). Which is a big hint maybe to their primary strategy and focus for the L-Mount. He also talks about S1H and EVA1 and the customer overlap. I’ll look through my history and see if I can find it.

22 minutes ago, deezid said:

V-Log (S1H/S1 and Varicam), hlg (GH5, G9, GH5s, S1, S1H and Canon C-Series) and V-Log L (GH5s/GH5/G9) 😉

Cool. I would be interested in the HLG for the GH5S. Your HLG S1H one is very nicely done.

It’s a transform LUT correct? Moving HLG or Log to a Rec709 for further grading afterwards?

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

I remember reading an interview Yosuke Yamane where he basically said the S1H was the real passion for the L-mount and that the S1 and S1R were released first just so their was more cameras for L-mount and to give it a bit of starting momentum (paraphrasing). Which is a big hint maybe to their primary strategy and focus for the L-Mount. He also talks about S1H and EVA1 and the customer overlap. I’ll look through my history and see if I can find it.

Hopefully that means an EVA2 L Mount is coming, but honestly I'd rather first see an EVA1 MFT happen!

20 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Cool. I would be interested in the HLG for the GH5S. Your HLG S1H one is very nicely done.

It’s a transform LUT correct? Moving HLG or Log to a Rec709 for further grading afterwards?

Providing both accurate transformations (advanced and film) and stylized transformations (organic, blockbuster etc.) 😉

15 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Hopefully that means an EVA2 L Mount is coming, but honestly I'd rather first see an EVA1 MFT happen!

I would be surprised if EVA2 won’t be FF and L-mount. Would be good to help boost L-mount adoption. Can have adapters for EF and PL.

I think the chances for a MFT style EVA2 is slim.

39 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

20 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I would be surprised if EVA2 won’t be FF and L-mount. Would be good to help boost L-mount adoption. Can have adapters for EF and PL.

I really hope a Panasonic EVA 2 comes by the end of the year or next year. If they imrpove their autofocus, and put an L mount on it it would be a great camera since the EVA 1 is already really good.