Panasonic S1H review / hands-on - a true 6K full frame cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/11/2020 at 1:50 PM, Danilo Del Tufo said:

I'm still tryin' to acquire more information about this camera, and I've a question for you, can't find in the online manual: Does the touch focus works while recording, so you can change the focus point when you want? Or the focus can be only set before start recording? 

Yes, but it's different than how the GH5 line works. You have to have the camera in AFS mode for touch focus to work, as it doesn't work in MF mode. Took me awhile to figure this out ?!

23 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

Yes, but it's different than how the GH5 line works. You have to have the camera in AFS mode for touch focus to work, as it doesn't work in MF mode. Took me awhile to figure this out ?!

This is what I simply hate about the legacy of Japanese cameras. They want to make us stupid, the impression left. Or that we need to be all geeks. They are the stupid part of the equation. Not the users.

Without mention photography requires a minimalist operator interface. ISO, shutter, and access to a simple menu to mainly coordinate a few automatic or monitoring features if needed, WB and not much else. The example of the upcoming Sharp 8K. Blackmagic, as for example, is a breeze. Long live Aussies! : -)

Wildlife shooters, how are you coping? Any ideas on when a proper super zoom L-mount will be available?

I was planning on selling my GH5 but I think I will hang on so I can continue to use the Pan 100-400.  

Big fan of GH5.  Voigtlander 17.5 lived on my camera.  I must admit though the S1H with 24-70 is a pleasure to use without swapping lenses like before.  GH5 feels so light in comparison. It's like when you hold someone else's baby, you forget how small your kids used to be! 

V-log is new to me. Still figuring it out. Have zebras @ 90 highlights and 55 skin.  Never ventured away from Cine-D on GH5.  It's my first FF so bit of a learning curve, managing DOF, ISO.  Definitely helps that its essentially very similar Panny menu and functionality of GH5. 

Would love to have a built in ND.  Is it difficult tech? Even the RX100 has it. 

Happy shooting

1 hour ago, ride_on_the_rhythm said:

Any ideas on when a proper super zoom L-mount will be available?

The L-mount roadmap listed super-zoom in 2020.

1 hour ago, ride_on_the_rhythm said:

Would love to have a built in ND.  Is it difficult tech? Even the RX100 has it. 

It's awesome tech! It just happens to be an exclusive in camera tech for only Sony!

47 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Rent the Lumix S1H for $99/week

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/01/23/rent-the-lumix-s1h-for-99-week/

Sadly I'm not in the USA 😞 As that rental price is insane!

You could rent one of these for a couple of weeks, shoot an indie feature film in a fortnight, and only have spent US$198 on camera rental fees!

Indeed... I thought it was per day, go figure! LOL : -)

12 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Indeed... I thought it was per day, go figure! LOL : -)

That is the normal low side of the S1H rental pricing for per day. 

To have it PER WEEK is crazy talk. 

Guess Panasonic was disappointed the S1H didn't catch on even though it was super duper awesome, likely because their price was too high. Now they're thinking if we just get it into people's hands... that will be enough to convince them to buy it! Possibly so

Wish I could rent a Zaxcom Nova for a week for $99! haha

Probably is what would be necessary to convince me to change over from my Sound Devices 833

• Administrators
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Rent the Lumix S1H for $99/week

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/01/23/rent-the-lumix-s1h-for-99-week/

Sadly I'm not in the USA 😞 As that rental price is insane!

You could rent one of these for a couple of weeks, shoot an indie feature film in a fortnight, and only have spent US$198 on camera rental fees!

It's going to get the camera some deserved fans, but the catch is that whose factoring in $$$ rental costs likely have an important project coming up and it would be a big gamble to save $3000-$6000 to bring an untested camera in at $99 per week they have no experience of.

Those in the right position to do this though absolutely should. The image is one of the best full stop.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's going to get the camera some deserved fans, but the catch is that whose factoring in $$$ rental costs likely have an important project coming up and it would be a big gamble to save $3000-$6000 to bring an untested camera in at $99 per week they have no experience of.

Those in the right position to do this though absolutely should. The image is one of the best full stop.

If you're an indie film crew, trying to save every penny, then why not? Especially if you already own say a Panasonic GH5 / Panasonic S1 so you already have a lot of experience shooting Panasonic cameras and know your way around them blindfolded.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:41 AM, austinchimp said:

Just wanted to chime in on this and say I've used the S1 and S1H recently and the autofocus when recording with v-log is much worse than you'd imagine. I'd say continuous autofocus it's basically unusable. It cannot focus on a static face in good light indoors across a table about a meter across.

Really hope they can pull out some improvement through firmware. The weird thing is the tracking box recognises the face and tracks it well, but the focus just went back and forth to extremes trying to focus. In other modes apart from V-log it's better, but not great. Given I bought the camera to use the V-log I'm quite disappointed that it can't do even basic shots. I wouldn't trust it even making home movies with my family, let alone a professional job.

I thought that Panasonic fixed the autofocus in the G9 so the S1/S1H doesn't have the same fix?

Panasonic released a new update 1.2 which still doesn't fix the ghosting and smearing issues.

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/ff/dl/s1h.html?fbclid=IwAR3biGv5hEvDRCZM5AOHmQ-LaeatQNX4_JiVWYN7WwewW7-WYiVaKYf1ZT4

Artifacts are still the same and V-Log remains a shit show, especially used in 6K

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sAml_fqNYE7AKPuC8H6Ktve02BnmmYyo/view

On 9/1/2019 at 5:30 AM, Thpriest said:

I have the famous Sigma 18-35 as well as a 50-150 2.8 and the Tokina 11-16 2.8. Perfect for most of what I do. Just really want to know if it's worth while or whether I'm better off with the GH series and Speedbooster.

I have this same question- do these Sigma 1.8 zooms work well with the S1/S1H or do they effectively put it into S35 mode? I wonder if anyone has done a real world test with video samples.