Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

So to clarify this, if you got a Pocket 4K early on and it came with 6.1 or older, you can swap and choose between the latest firmware and old one... What if latest firmware at some point installs a software update which prevents rollback? Bit risky if you ask me.

I'll stick with CDNG and watch the eBay resale value sky rocket :)

Hi Andrew,

6.1 is the last version that has Cinema DNG.

6.2 adds BRAW and Removes Cinema DNG for the Pocket 4k, it can still be rolled back as it is only compatible with the Old LCD version.

6.2.1 is for compatibility with the new LCD and can not be rolled back if you have the new LCD.  In this thread someone said that they could roll back from 6.2.1 to 6.1

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90870

so I they must have the Old LCD. The 6.2.1 firmware identifies if you have the Old or New LCD and allows or disallows rollback based on the hardware identification.

It makes sense to keep a copy if the installers for 6.1 and 6.2 so you can upgrade and rollback depending on the functionality you desire.

Is this situation pleasant and positive to any BMD customer? We became used to see this going along the major players, not a company like Blackmagic... Much disappointing to see, Mr. Petty! I'd say there's a high chance he's reading these lines since he is aware of this thread, so I hope this can touch his sensibility. We buy BMD for some different reason... No regrets so far. I hope you keep going your commitment with your loyal clientele all the time anyway!

E : -)

• Administrators

Grant Petty has always impressed. It must be tricky as the company grows to have everybody go forwards with the same engineering spirit. He's done a superb job. What needs tweaking is the marketing and communications side.

5 hours ago, majoraxis said:

It makes sense to keep a copy if the installers for 6.1 and 6.2 so you can upgrade and rollback depending on the functionality you desire.

These old LCD bodies are going to be like gold dust and worth double, triple, quadruple or more in a few years

6 hours ago, The ghost of squig said:

Pray your LCD doesn't die.

Maybe that's the Chinese guy's game, with the articulated hinge... Secretly swap the panels! Keep them for himself!

I'm looking for a power solution to run my camera and monitor. I have a V-mount battery, but with only 1 Dtap, and 1 USB - the USB is 5v DC output. I'm running my camera with Dtap to DC, so is this cable likely the be able to power my monitor? (VA 5inch)

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0748FD8NF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A3H9LDGBXF3RS2&psc=1

Or would it be better to get a Dtap breakout box thing like this - and then go D-tap to DC input? 

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B079P73FRC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=APBHT6HUSGIHN&psc=1

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01KJ9RZT0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1R83JE18GEU2L&psc=1

On 7/4/2019 at 11:52 PM, Emanuel said:

What's your beef here, man? Do you think I am not a P4K camera owner/user? Is that what you're insinuating? Why that? Someone has given you instructions for that? Is that so?

First off, it is me who pays my bills, not you or anyone else here to begin with. I am usually to be paid or I invest my own money for. Neither one of both is represented in this request of yours.

Maybe you think I am trolling over here trying to bash your product? If you'd be serious on here or an usual reader you'd well know I've never had such attitude. Either to this or any other camera or piece of gear... Go figure for my fav cam ever! : P You haven't read my posts, I see, I don't blame you for that though, no hard feelings! : -)

Moreover, I didn't report any issue in any way other than reading the issue brought by that other fellow user aka squig (I won't even call him now by his first name I am used to for years for a simple reason, I don't trust your intentions. Who are you? Who pays you to be here?) followed by another user who posted a link for another thread in your forum, I bet; not a brand agnostic oasis like this one. My first reaction to his post was a surprise. Go back a few pages:

Need to do better your home work! LOL ; -)

So go outside, shoot something on your 4K pocket and post  it... bet you can't, otherwise shut up bashing Grant Petty and BMD. No one from bmd asked me to post anything, I'm just an Aussie sticking up  for a product that's changed  the landscape. In the meantime I'll keep shooting on my GH2, and learning Davinci Resolve 15, that you also criticised and it's free.

On 7/5/2019 at 6:28 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Grant Petty has always impressed. It must be tricky as the company grows to have everybody go forwards with the same engineering spirit. He's done a superb job. What needs tweaking is the marketing and communications side.

These old LCD bodies are going to be like gold dust and worth double, triple, quadruple or more in a few years

Maybe that's the Chinese guy's game, with the articulated hinge... Secretly swap the panels! Keep them for himself!

He didn't impress you when you had a BMD meltdown a couple of months ago when you werent invited to the party. Grant, JB, and Hook probably don't monitor this site anymore .  

On 7/5/2019 at 6:28 AM, Andrew Reid said:

He didn't impress you when you had a BMD meltdown a couple of months ago when you werent invited to the party. Grant, JB, and Hook probably don't monitor this site anymore 

4 hours ago, harry henry said:

So go outside, shoot something on your 4K pocket and post  it... bet you can't, otherwise shut up bashing Grant Petty and BMD. No one from bmd asked me to post anything, I'm just an Aussie sticking up  for a product that's changed  the landscape. In the meantime I'll keep shooting on my GH2, and learning Davinci Resolve 15, that you also criticised and it's free.

He didn't impress you when you had a BMD meltdown a couple of months ago when you werent invited to the party. Grant, JB, and Hook probably don't monitor this site anymore .  

Brian, is that your real name you wrote, right? If it is true you are not connected with the brand, you say, nothing more can be inferred from there in any way other than truly suspicious and unveiled content from your keyboard. How you know "Grant, JB, and Hook probably don't monitor this site anymore" as for instance? What for also those other words in your posting before so revealing? How can you surely be so certain of all that? Speaking about personal aspects of people doesn't show any distance from that environment, on the contrary.

On your challenge, I've already responded to you directly, clear and very detailed, nuff said. That "bet you can't" is simply ridiculous... Don't cover yourself on your national pedigree or where have you been when I've praised that people in these same pages even recently?! C'mon, give anyone and everyone a break ; ) The same for BMD products... Never read such? Or then, it was no necessary to be here when only flowers have been written? To say I've criticized Resolve to follow everything I've recorded in these boards about Resolve is beyond the acceptable. Save your nonsense to wherever you want and where your agenda is coming from. Because under my eyes and any attentive reader that doesn't lie. Simply don't come here to spread BS trying to silent good people and distort facts in a cheeky manner. Must I need to embarrass you with quotes of mine? Is it strictly necessary? I don't think so. Do better your home work. And better to be quiet. Your posts only demand for a reply. This can end to distort for some casual reader we early P4K buyers are unhappy with the camera. That's not factual and pure disservice. Pay attention to what you're doing.

3 hours ago, TurboRat said:

P4K owners, what's your issue with the camera? I thought a lot of the old bugs have been fixed with the current updates + BRAW?

As matter of fact, we early P4K adopters are very happy with the purchase. With or another quirk is not enough to put a shame on the whole thing. Need to have perspective. B&W is to reduce the reality and only coming from a disastrous marketing and communication as several people here have quoted. For some reason some people pop up on here very nervous! LOL ; ) We even have the chance of cDNG. Pity the newcomers are unable to have it in any way other than looking for the previous units.

Sad to see.

5 hours ago, harry henry said:

Jesus @Emanuel is one of the biggest owners, boosters on here for the PK4. He probably knows about 50 times more about video than you do. And Hook is on here all the time. You are a silly bastard.

7 hours ago, TurboRat said:

P4K owners, what's your issue with the camera? I thought a lot of the old bugs have been fixed with the current updates + BRAW?

I bloody love this camera - we are using it all the time to shoot elements for video, projection, visuals, shows, etc. It is great. For my use. I love to have latitude and no macro blocking for when grading.

I am not sitting around waiting for the next big thing (anymore). 10bit prores/raw is awesome too. With no external recorder!

2 hours ago, dslnc said:

I bloody love this camera - we are using it all the time to shoot elements for video, projection, visuals, shows, etc. It is great. For my use. I love to have latitude and no macro blocking for when grading.

I am not sitting around waiting for the next big thing (anymore). 10bit prores/raw is awesome too. With no external recorder!

I love it too.

Records to cheap small samsung t5 ssd (handles all, including braw q0 4k 60p slow motion).

Connects to xlr directional sennheiser mic.

Love the big lcd and simple menu (all for movie, not like photo hybrids).

So easy to use: record not thinking about WB, profiles and not much about iso. Connect the same ssd to PC and start easy editing in Resolve (no transcoding, even no copy to PC, direct from ssd).

Braw is great, can choose different file sizes but maintain raw file benefits. Grading is much easier now.

Don't care about other gear anymore. Will use this camera for many years.

regarding the macro blocking, its been quite sunny today. i took the bmp4k outside and shot some blue skies about 14 seconds worth,  its ungraded, unedited. what sort of file sizes are you guys looking for to test video at ? i can upload it and supply a link, i figure you guys can play with it and break it if you want see whether macro blocking is an issue with an original 6.1 camera or not. i personally dont really know what im doing as yet but i can supply the footage at least i guess.

20 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Jesus @Emanuel is one of the biggest owners, boosters on here for the PK4. He probably knows about 50 times more about video than you do. And Hook is on here all the time. You are a silly bastard.

Web the last time I heard of Hook on this site was  when Emanuel accused Grant Petty of "using a kindergarten to get staff from" Do you actually know Grant Petty and his philosophy towards the industry he's turned upside down?...probably not. Grant couldn't give two hoots about you or Emanuel Whoezbuts or this site.  If he knows 50 times more than me thats cool, because I've spent 35 years doing the same gig as you with Network TV. Most people on this site don't know what a line cross is? Call me a silly bastard is ok, but I read your previous comments towards BMD and you are very American. Actually  I might reach out to JB, Hook, and Grant via Lemac in Melbourne, as I worked with John Bowring a lot in the 80'90's. 

1 hour ago, harry henry said:

Web the last time I heard of Hook on this site was  when Emanuel accused Grant Petty of "using a kindergarten to get staff from" Do you actually know Grant Petty and his philosophy towards the industry he's turned upside down?...probably not. Grant couldn't give two hoots about you or Emanuel Whoezbuts or this site.  If he knows 50 times more than me thats cool, because I've spent 35 years doing the same gig as you with Network TV. Most people on this site don't know what a line cross is? Call me a silly bastard is ok, but I read your previous comments towards BMD and you are very American. Actually  I might reach out to JB, Hook, and Grant via Lemac in Melbourne, as I worked with John Bowring a lot in the 80'90's. 

Well I guess Hook and Emanuel Do have a pissing contest going. I would have to lean toward Hook being more right lol.  And apologize for calling you names. But Hook is somewhat active on here. I don't know as much about the PK4 as people that own it. Seems like a nice camera, I just can't seem to get excited about it. But I can see why people are pissed about the Cdng, bRaw thing.

Oh I do think this site has influence over the PK4. If we say it is total shit they are not going to do too well with it. We have not said that, it seems with a few warts to be a great camera, and I bet it Has helped sales for them. A lot of traffic on this site, tire kickers and such. But BMD had a terrible Rollout, and that didn't help in the beginning. Turned me off on it I will be honest about it. And now this LCD stuff is even a bigger turnoff. I have no need for bRaw.

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/profile/34137-captainhook/

Despite the issues I am going to be getting the camera soon. The price/value ratio is just incredibly high no matter how you look at it. BM is now really the only one competing against RED with a compressed RAW format. The Pocket is of course cheaper than even the RED one and probably performs better.  I of course hope they solve these current issues but even if not its still a solid camera.