Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Administrators
On 7/6/2019 at 12:07 PM, harry henry said:

He didn't impress you when you had a BMD meltdown a couple of months ago when you werent invited to the party. Grant, JB, and Hook probably don't monitor this site anymore .  

Grant Petty has nothing to do with the decisions made in PR in Knutsford. And to be fair to Blackmagic, said PR team were apologetic afterwards and in favour of reaching out. I believe it would be a very constructive relationship if they genuinely put some effort in.

JB's rudeness on here is legendary, but it's in the past as far as I'm concerned, we as a community moved on from him.

Hook contributed straight forward answers and good info.

There are far more viewers than contributors in this post.

How about some more constructive contributors to satisfy that audience of 1 million who have tuned in?

Those people who are posting good info is what this thread and indeed whole forum are about.

The bitching should always take a backseat.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

And it has happened like that : ) Who accepts bitching over here...?!

The point is when people take positive criticism as anything negative and start to biasedly counterattack... Pure nonsense. What for BTW?!

Truth should universally be at the ship's command column, this doesn't rule out a diversity of angles over the same subject in respect of fairness though.

B&W portraits can variably shine but only in 100% under required circumstances ; ) The idea 'who's not with me is against me' is proper of a totalitarian mindset, not suitable to any healthy discussion and progress. Nothing valid comes from facts distortion. From egos either. Let alone ad hominem attacks!

Perspective is always useful and welcome, I always want and tend to believe : -)

That said, to ignore or undervalue this capture device (my fav cam ever as so many times written) is absolutely unfair. As much as the most fanatic opposite side.

I can't replicate the issue with blue sky clips. I attached a BRAW frame. Maybe I'm missing something. Only thing I can see is a lens that needs cleaning, lol.

A008_06142150_C201_000.braw

Pushed it a bit here to see if I could see anything, but still don't. I'll be the first to admit my eyes aren't what they used to be, though! Looking at this image after it posted, any artifacts appear to be from web compression, perhaps. It looks pretty clean to me on my monitor. 

Untitled00086400.jpg

This blue sky subtopic is a mystery still to be cleared up as it seems. The fact people has found it along cDNG proves is not exactly related to braw. I wonder if that's not something coming from some user settings anyway? Something that under other circumstances may bring some distinct outcome and overcome the issue? It would be rather interesting to discover it : -)

14 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

This blue sky subtopic is a mystery still to be cleared up as it seems. The fact people has found it along cDNG proves is not exactly related to braw. I wonder if that's not something coming from some user settings anyway? Something that under other circumstances may bring some distinct outcome and overcome the issue? It would be rather interesting to discover it : -)

I don't know, but I'll surely be looking out for it with all my cameras. I don't recall ever seeing it though.

51 minutes ago, graphicnatured said:

I don't know, but I'll surely be looking out for it with all my cameras. I don't recall ever seeing it though.

I also wonder if that's happening with all them...?! Some report it, some others don't. I didn't test it so far. I suppose there are some answers to honestly address yet.

Does it affect both 4K and 1080p as for instance?

The fact that crosses all formats available from cDNG to ProRes makes me think is nothing related to some particular codec. What about the encode processing, can we say anything on the killer fog or there won't be any issues related whatsoever? I am not engineer, so what do I know!?

Perhaps some other users with wider knowledge can add some light on topic? : -)

I have shot a plenty blue sky in CDNG and Braw and didn't find any macro blocking. So, before jumping to the conclusion that it's a camera issue, everyone one should do it's own test. (As I was the first to raise the red clipping issue, months ago, and felt the sweet anger of many BM fanboys who couldn't believe that the camera could have its flaws, I know what I'm talking about...)

On 6/25/2019 at 10:29 AM, Samirawale said:

Thinking to replace my GH5s with the pocket 4K guys ? What do you think ? Im all about short films and music videos. 

I would not suggest that most people swap the GH5s for the P4K. I have several P4Ks, the GH5, & the GH5s cameras. I use them daily and I like the GH5s and the P4K both very much. The GH5s & the P4K are totally different animals, each with strengths. If I am doing a run & gun type event, I regularly take the GH5s cameras, as they are easy to use, have great battery life, and can produce great images straight out of camera. If I am filming a music video, interview, or similar, I regularly take the P4Ks. The P4Ks allow you to record RAW and produce lovely footage, but they require lots of attention to get great results. They also have lots of issues like focus issues (slow), handling, poor battery life, gimbal balance issues, post processing, etc. The GH5s is much easier to just grab, shoot, and produce great results straight out of camera.

As long as you are aware of the P4K limitations, and are aware of the post processing requirements, you should love the P4K. It is capable of producing amazing footage.

5 hours ago, drm said:

I would not suggest that most people swap the GH5s for the P4K. I have several P4Ks, the GH5, & the GH5s cameras. I use them daily and I like the GH5s and the P4K both very much. The GH5s & the P4K are totally different animals, each with strengths. If I am doing a run & gun type event, I regularly take the GH5s cameras, as they are easy to use, have great battery life, and can produce great images straight out of camera. If I am filming a music video, interview, or similar, I regularly take the P4Ks. The P4Ks allow you to record RAW and produce lovely footage, but they require lots of attention to get great results. They also have lots of issues like focus issues (slow), handling, poor battery life, gimbal balance issues, post processing, etc. The GH5s is much easier to just grab, shoot, and produce great results straight out of camera.

As long as you are aware of the P4K limitations, and are aware of the post processing requirements, you should love the P4K. It is capable of producing amazing footage.

my recommendation is: definitely not selling GH5, it's currently an irreplaceable worker, ideal to have on the shelf: GH5, BMPCC4K, and old BMMCC  ?

8 hours ago, drm said:

Completely agree here. Against my better judgement I chose to use my P4K instead of my usual GH5s on a run and gun shoot yesterday. By the time I rigged it up to match basic usability features like battery life and articulating screen of the GH5s, the P4K was a bit cumbersome. People have different tolerances for such things, but I'd much rather have the tiny, nimble GH5s for shoots like this from now on. Still, it was a good test of the P4K for this kind of shoot. I still love it for narrative and interviews.

43 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Completely agree here. Against my better judgement I chose to use my P4K instead of my usual GH5s on a run and gun shoot yesterday. By the time I rigged it up to match basic usability features like battery life and articulating screen of the GH5s, the P4K was a bit cumbersome. People have different tolerances for such things, but I'd much rather have the tiny, nimble GH5s for shoots like this from now on. Still, it was a good test of the P4K for this kind of shoot. I still love it for narrative and interviews.

I don’t know if it’s possible but if only Panny would add ProRes Raw via HDMI and USB-C recording to their GH5S cameras along with that lovely linear focus option from the S1. The difference between the two would be narrowed slightly more.

Yeah the GH5S really can't match the image quality the Pocket offers. But if you wants something light and or don't want to do much processing in post, at still get a super clean image, the GH5S is superior.

Battery life is really the big killer on the Pocket in regards to run and gun stuff. You really need some time of at least semi bulky external battery, unless you don't mind changing them every 30 minutes.

Panny needs to add a reduced NR/sharpening mode as well as internal RAW!

Everyone probably knows this, but I've seen people rig up cine-type cameras before they leave for the shoot and just pull out the whole rig and then can start using it.  Obviously you need a decent case and it will take up a bit more room, but it's a way to cut out some time and get a bit more flexibility if you need to.

24 minutes ago, kye said:

Everyone probably knows this, but I've seen people rig up cine-type cameras before they leave for the shoot and just pull out the whole rig and then can start using it.  Obviously you need a decent case and it will take up a bit more room, but it's a way to cut out some time and get a bit more flexibility if you need to.

Yeah for me its just the sacrifice of a small body, which is part of the appeal of a Pocket cam.