Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Super Members
Just now, Kisaha said:

Is this going to work with all/most native lenses?

What other modules do you have in mind, and how you are going to price it/them/all of them?

I am all in for some gaffer tape constructions, it could lower the price also a $ or 0.7£!

It works with any lens that the camera can drive so that is all the native MFT lenses but also EF lenses if you have an adapter (like the Metabones smart ones) that the camera supports.

There is a switch module, a joystick module and a generic GPIO module.

They can all be assigned to different functions so switches could do aperture or ISO up/down, joystick could do focus on one axis and aperture on another etc etc.

The GPIO module is intended to let you trigger record from a pulse input such as a custom cable or even a radio trigger and also to be able to send a pulse out to trigger external equipment  such as an audio recorder when the camera is in record.

With regard to price, they will be appropriate to the cost of the PBC itself so expect between €20-25.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Feature request for Davinci Resolve - one click 'make my skin tones awesome' button.  Make it so, Blackmagic!

I didn't do much more than use the Extended Video v4 LUT and some lift gamma gain adjustments. (I did darken the bookcase on the wide).  I've been really impressed with the colours out of the BMPCC 4K!

Just now, JordanWright said:

I didn't do much more than use the Extended Video v4 LUT and some lift gamma gain adjustments. (I did darken the bookcase on the wide).  I've been really impressed with the colours out of the BMPCC 4K!

Good to know, thanks! I always found that LUT a little harsh so sprung for that buttery films LUT. 

7 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

Good to know, thanks! I always found that LUT a little harsh so sprung for that buttery films LUT. 

I would be interested to see how it performs but i've always been satisfied with blackmagic's one.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

cDNG is a way better but .braw doesn't visibly diminish it.

Yeah, my eye isn't good enough to distinguish between them, I prefer the workflow of BRAW but I totally understand why people prefer CDNG. Most of the time Im shooting in ProRes anyway, only using BRAW for bigger projects at the moment!

4 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Yeah, my eye isn't good enough to distinguish between them, I prefer the workflow of BRAW but I totally understand why people prefer CDNG. Most of the time Im shooting in ProRes anyway, only using BRAW for bigger projects at the moment!

Try shooting a blue sky, Braw is macroblock hell even set to Q0 and 3:1. Braw has looked good with everything else I've shot, but I'll have to rely on my trusty 5DMk3 with magic lantern for anything with a blue sky in it.

1 hour ago, The ghost of squig said:

Try shooting a blue sky, Braw is macroblock hell even set to Q0 and 3:1. Braw has looked good with everything else I've shot, but I'll have to rely on my trusty 5DMk3 with magic lantern for anything with a blue sky in it.

That's new... Really. I've never seen anything like that. It is more about any potential artifacts of aliasing or moiré : ) hardly to be found in motion to be sincere. cDNG is also more detailed and better IQ overall : -)

2 hours ago, The ghost of squig said:

Can't say i've ever seen macro blocking when shooting a blue sky but maybe I haven't been looking for it, here's 2 3:1 braw clips on my hard drive and they look good to be with a fairy aggressive grade. They might not be the best examples.

Untitled_1.1.1.png

Untitled_1.1.2.png

Untitled_1.2.1.png

Untitled_1.2.2.png

7 hours ago, Emanuel said:

That's new... Really. I've never seen anything like that. It is more about any potential artifacts of aliasing or moiré : ) hardly to be found in motion to be sincere. cDNG is also more detailed and better IQ overall : -)

I find it amazing it's been over a year and nobody mentioned it, I noticed it the first day I got the camera. I'm fine with the detail of Braw, but the macroblocking is a worry.

5 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

There's a whole thread about that Blue Sky thing on the BMD forum:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93737

Thanks for the link.

5 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Can't say i've ever seen macro blocking when shooting a blue sky but maybe I haven't been looking for it, here's 2 3:1 braw clips on my hard drive and they look good to be with a fairy aggressive grade. They might not be the best examples.

Those examples look OK, but it's only been a problem with clear blue skies. I did a test with the P4K Braw, X-T3 HEVC 10bit, and 5DMk3 magic lantern 14bit lossless, graded in Resolve and exported to ProRes4444, only the P4K shot has the macroblocking in both 3:1 and Q0 at varying exposure levels. It may not look so bad on a 27" screen, but I wouldn't want to risk it on a 40 foot screen. These are screenshots taken from the ProRes4444 file.

Pocket 4K

t52Ox5Y.jpg

X-T3

q5ooP1T.jpg

5DMk3

MKMI7mu.jpg

3 hours ago, The ghost of squig said:

I find it amazing it's been over a year and nobody mentioned it, I noticed it the first day I got the camera. I'm fine with the detail of Braw, but the macroblocking is a worry.

Thanks for the link.

I believe this will depend on our grading too.

As far I've seen posted cDNG is even worse with Blackmagic cameras but should it be going lossless?

ProRes 422 HQ should be clean, at least. If not, there's nothing related to codec or RAW implementation.

It's surely not good news...

47 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I believe this will depend on our grading too.

As far I've seen posted cDNG is even worse with Blackmagic cameras but should it be going lossless?

ProRes 422 HQ should be clean, at least. If not, there's nothing related to codec or RAW implementation.

It's surely not good news...

It's definitely compression artifacts. Grading accentuates it, but even ungraded it's noticeable. Any large monochromatic areas could be problematic. I haven't tested ProRes, in my experience ProRes is less prone to macroblocking like that, but I'll do a test anyway. I don't remember having any macroblocking issues with CDNG 3:1 on the BMMCC, but I didn't use it much. Lossless would definitely solve the problem, adjusting the variable compression algorithm might help too.

This is how it looks rendered out to ProRes4444. Braw up first, followed by the X-T3 and 5DMk3 raw: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bTrb4QlNxZRQW2dZPMQ5_7U5b0jMxrQ5

6 minutes ago, The ghost of squig said:

It's definitely compression artifacts. Grading accentuates it, but even ungraded it's noticeable. Any large monochromatic areas could be problematic. I haven't tested ProRes, in my experience ProRes is less prone to macroblocking like that, but I'll do a test anyway. I don't remember having any macroblocking issues with CDNG 3:1 on the BMMCC, but I didn't use it much. Lossless would definitely solve the problem, adjusting the variable compression algorithm might help too.

This is how it looks rendered out to ProRes4444. Braw up first, followed by the X-T3 and 5DMk3 raw: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bTrb4QlNxZRQW2dZPMQ5_7U5b0jMxrQ5

In that thread above-posted someone claims cDNG is the worst sample when some other notices that's make little sense from lossless... ProRes is reported as identical.