Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, kye said:

I think that blown out highlights might be the worst aspect of poor quality digital, for me at least.  Worse even than poor resolution, over-sharpening, or low-bitrates with macro-blocking.

That's one of the primary benefits of shooting with 10+ bit depth, you can expose for the greatest DR and then choose your middle exposure in post while applying a nice highlight roll-off, and do it without breaking the image.  To this end, I haven't really noticed the DR of my GH5 being too low as I can normally get the exposure I want and also not clip highlights.

Yeah I find the same with my XT3, which definitely puts me off from buying another camera anytime soon. 

• Super Members

Interesting response from the creator to the negative comments about the highlights.

2069791546_ScreenShot2019-06-24at12_44_20.png.5dcea3f4c865e7706711ec38b5c287bf.png

Its not an artistic choice that I would have made but there are enough very positive responses to it from commenters on YouTube to suggest many others thought it was the right one.

Interesting.

15 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Interesting response from the creator to the negative comments about the highlights.

2069791546_ScreenShot2019-06-24at12_44_20.png.5dcea3f4c865e7706711ec38b5c287bf.png

Its not an artistic choice that I would have made but there are enough very positive responses to it from commenters on YouTube to suggest many others thought it was the right one.

Interesting.

Every technical choice has an aesthetic association.  It might not be the same association across different groups of people, but everyone will have some kind of association.

It would be the perfect choice if you wanted that 80s video look, the 90s home video look, or you were creating something where there was altered perception involved, like someone with a migraine goes outside into the sunshine.

Everything depends on the outcome you're trying to achieve.  Including trying to impress people on the internet with your camera tests....

He is using a camera that has 13 stops of DR. I really don't think he put them to very good use. He can call it what he wants. He needs to buy a light meter I guess, and a graduated ND filter. He sure as hell ought to know better. If that is what you want your followers to think is the best that camera can do, the best He can do, well they need to follow someone else.

If I was BMD I would be pissed. That is a pretty amateur, piss poor, looking video. He is from Canada. I guess it is the first time he ever seen the sun.

• Super Members
10 hours ago, kye said:

Every technical choice has an aesthetic association. 

Tomato/Tomato to some degree but as he has stated it was a deliberate "artistic choice" for it to look like that then it was the technical choices that had to serve the aesthetic rather than than the aesthetic being a by-product of the technical choices.

I learnt this lesson the hard way when failing to achieve a Kraftwerk aesthetic on my last album by using a mandolin and a French horn.

10 hours ago, kye said:

Including trying to impress people on the internet with your camera tests....

Well, as I say, he's impressed quite a lot of people with that choice judging by the comments, many of whom find it to be very evocative for them of the work of Philip Bloom.

I'm not really au fait enough with the entire canon of Bloom's work to know whether he ever had a Handycam period so I don't have sufficient insight to challenge that.

I usually don’t like to say negative things on forums that are not constructive but this video of Gerald... « c’est chaud ! » ? as I would say in french. I have to agree with webrunner5 on this one. It’s ugly as shit. Even the artistic choice argument is barely acceptable here.

It’s a shame because it’s the first time he takes some risks to express his artistic/technical skills and I appreciate the effort.

Maybe it has to do with the fact it was his first time with the camera...

Boy, I have to say something nice now, I don’t want to turn into webrunner5 ;)

We live funny times today! The guy posts a crappy sample of such capture device beast and there's curiosity about some of his past work... LMAO : )

14 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

He is using a camera that has 13 stops of DR. I really don't think he put them to very good use. He can call it what he wants. He needs to buy a light meter I guess, and a graduated ND filter. He sure as hell ought to know better. If that is what you want your followers to think is the best that camera can do, the best He can do, well they need to follow someone else.

If I was BMD I would be pissed. That is a pretty amateur, piss poor, looking video. He is from Canada. I guess it is the first time he ever seen the sun.

LOL My vote to post of the year! ; ) And to Gerald, the Razzie of the best excuse of 2019 too and we are in June yet!

PS -- Just seen this thread has just reached 1 million of views these days! Congrats, you're in the Guiness Book @Andrew Reid

I believe Grant Petty will have no excuses next time to not send you a Mark II sample for the upcoming launch... Speaking of devil, I'll forward him this remark via email right now : -D

7 hours ago, Emanuel said:

We live funny times today! The guy posts a crappy sample of such capture device beast and there's curiosity about some of his past work... LMAO : )

Well if he has work that looks amazing I'd chalk it up to an odd artistic choice. If not its more likely that its just bad work. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Emanuel said:

LOL My vote to post of the year! ; ) And to Gerald, the Razzie of the best excuse of 2019 too and we are in June yet!

PS -- Just seen this thread has just reached 1 million of views these days! Congrats, you're in the Guiness Book @Andrew Reid

I believe Grant Petty will have no excuses next time to not send you a Mark II sample for the upcoming launch... Speaking of devil, I'll forward him this remark via email right now : -D

Amazed. That's more than the GH5 sticky topic.

And a lot more than the sticky topics at the official Blackmagic forum on 20-30k.

Wonder how many Pocket 4K units are actually out there?

2 hours ago, Samirawale said:

Thinking to replace my GH5s with the pocket 4K guys ? What do you think ? Im all about short films and music videos. 

I've shot along a P4K and GX85 these last June '19 days... Not even small size factor comes as a notable advantage. Maybe IBIS, only a bit though. You shoot very steady on P4K because of form factor.

There's no doubt, it is a breeze and much more friendly to shoot with the Blackmagic. You pick one, you simply don't want to look back.

A way more professional too. Menus with endless automatic modes are for sissies : ) Even focus assist is twice or beyond more effective. At times, the difference is to pop up as helpful or not, more often than it should. As simple as that.

Distinct worlds. The conclusion is: in a single strictly craft usage perspective, when Blackmagic does it, they do it better. Japanese have a lot to learn with the Aussies, for some reason I have a weakness for the anglo-saxon pragmatism... : -)

• Super Members

A quick peek at one of the expansion options for the PBC.

This one is a focus controller where the focus range of the lens is mapped to one full turn of the control.

Obviously, ignore the electrical tape thats holding it together.

The production version will be using gaffer tape.

2012538522_CDA-TEK-PBCPrototype004a.thumb.jpg.a944145f1196fc2b2c4207d1604eb0f8.jpg

Just now, BTM_Pix said:

This one is focus controller where the focus range of the lens is mapped to one full turn of the control.

Obviously, ignore the electrical tape thats holding it together.

The production version will be using gaffer tape.

Is this going to work with all/most native lenses?

What other modules do you have in mind, and how you are going to price it/them/all of them?

I am all in for some gaffer tape constructions, it could lower the price also a $ or 0.7£!