Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Samirawale said:

Thinking to replace my GH5s with the pocket 4K guys ? What do you think ? Im all about short films and music videos. 

I've shot along a P4K and GX85 these last June '19 days... Not even small size factor comes as a notable advantage. Maybe IBIS, only a bit though. You shoot very steady on P4K because of form factor.

There's no doubt, it is a breeze and much more friendly to shoot with the Blackmagic. You pick one, you simply don't want to look back.

A way more professional too. Menus with endless automatic modes are for sissies : ) Even focus assist is twice or beyond more effective. At times, the difference is to pop up as helpful or not, more often than it should. As simple as that.

Distinct worlds. The conclusion is: in a single strictly craft usage perspective, when Blackmagic does it, they do it better. Japanese have a lot to learn with the Aussies, for some reason I have a weakness for the anglo-saxon pragmatism... : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick peek at one of the expansion options for the PBC.

This one is a focus controller where the focus range of the lens is mapped to one full turn of the control.

Obviously, ignore the electrical tape thats holding it together.

The production version will be using gaffer tape.

2012538522_CDA-TEK-PBCPrototype004a.thumb.jpg.a944145f1196fc2b2c4207d1604eb0f8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BTM_Pix said:

This one is focus controller where the focus range of the lens is mapped to one full turn of the control.

Obviously, ignore the electrical tape thats holding it together.

The production version will be using gaffer tape.

Is this going to work with all/most native lenses?

What other modules do you have in mind, and how you are going to price it/them/all of them?

I am all in for some gaffer tape constructions, it could lower the price also a $ or 0.7£!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kisaha said:

Is this going to work with all/most native lenses?

What other modules do you have in mind, and how you are going to price it/them/all of them?

I am all in for some gaffer tape constructions, it could lower the price also a $ or 0.7£!

It works with any lens that the camera can drive so that is all the native MFT lenses but also EF lenses if you have an adapter (like the Metabones smart ones) that the camera supports.

There is a switch module, a joystick module and a generic GPIO module.

They can all be assigned to different functions so switches could do aperture or ISO up/down, joystick could do focus on one axis and aperture on another etc etc.

The GPIO module is intended to let you trigger record from a pulse input such as a custom cable or even a radio trigger and also to be able to send a pulse out to trigger external equipment  such as an audio recorder when the camera is in record.

With regard to price, they will be appropriate to the cost of the PBC itself so expect between €20-25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Feature request for Davinci Resolve - one click 'make my skin tones awesome' button.  Make it so, Blackmagic!

I didn't do much more than use the Extended Video v4 LUT and some lift gamma gain adjustments. (I did darken the bookcase on the wide).  I've been really impressed with the colours out of the BMPCC 4K!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JordanWright said:

I didn't do much more than use the Extended Video v4 LUT and some lift gamma gain adjustments. (I did darken the bookcase on the wide).  I've been really impressed with the colours out of the BMPCC 4K!

Good to know, thanks! I always found that LUT a little harsh so sprung for that buttery films LUT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

Good to know, thanks! I always found that LUT a little harsh so sprung for that buttery films LUT. 

I would be interested to see how it performs but i've always been satisfied with blackmagic's one.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

cDNG is a way better but .braw doesn't visibly diminish it.

Yeah, my eye isn't good enough to distinguish between them, I prefer the workflow of BRAW but I totally understand why people prefer CDNG. Most of the time Im shooting in ProRes anyway, only using BRAW for bigger projects at the moment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Yeah, my eye isn't good enough to distinguish between them, I prefer the workflow of BRAW but I totally understand why people prefer CDNG. Most of the time Im shooting in ProRes anyway, only using BRAW for bigger projects at the moment!

Try shooting a blue sky, Braw is macroblock hell even set to Q0 and 3:1. Braw has looked good with everything else I've shot, but I'll have to rely on my trusty 5DMk3 with magic lantern for anything with a blue sky in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The ghost of squig said:

Try shooting a blue sky, Braw is macroblock hell even set to Q0 and 3:1. Braw has looked good with everything else I've shot, but I'll have to rely on my trusty 5DMk3 with magic lantern for anything with a blue sky in it.

That's new... Really. I've never seen anything like that. It is more about any potential artifacts of aliasing or moiré : ) hardly to be found in motion to be sincere. cDNG is also more detailed and better IQ overall : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...