Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

33 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

To be fair. Blackmagic body, ergos, color science, codec + Panny battery. 

The funny thing is, the battery can be resolved externally, but none of that other stuff can. 

First time I've heard anyone choose BM body/ergos over Panny body/ergos. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The non tilt screen is never an issue? 

Sincerely not. Very interesting angle viewing design. This camera is terrific, its design no less : )

I find people focus funny, not exactly your case once I've already checked your skilled framing abilities, but most part of people not necessarily here but everywhere stinks on theirs but complain about tilt screens... LOL C'mon : -)

4 hours ago, kye said:

Everyone probably knows this, but I've seen people rig up cine-type cameras before they leave for the shoot and just pull out the whole rig and then can start using it.  Obviously you need a decent case and it will take up a bit more room, but it's a way to cut out some time and get a bit more flexibility if you need to.

I do this *all* the time. It is such a hassle to set up everything that I leave my P4Ks rigged up (mostly) and transport them that way. I take off the external monitor (if I am using one) when I travel, but leave the cage, rails, battery, follow focus, etc. I have the HDMI / USB-C clamps in place, so I also usually leave the SSD attached.

If you want to go with a smaller / lighter setup, skip the v-mount battery with rails and use one of the Sony NP battery sleds. I attached them to the cage top handle. A 970 gives me 2+ hours of run time (iirc). The NP battery sleds that I use have an LED that turns red when the battery gets low, so you have some indication before the external battery dies. Since I use the 12 connector, I also have the internal battery as a safety backup.

23 hours ago, JordanWright said:

I much prefer the BM body and ergonomics over the GH5. I can't go back to a 3inch monitor or a non-BM OS. However I will take the GH5 battery life!

i am learning to like it. i like the layout or ergonomics. Not sure how it would work in a different format. i occasionally hit the wrong button on top when going for iso or shutter but  a bit more time on it and it will be second nature. The screen is a good size and apart from not swiveling and some issues in the sun i like it. I would have paid another $100 for a swivel screen, maybe they'll do a mark two ?  and the os is very easy to use, i cant compare it to any other video camera as this is my first video camera but honestly i cant see how they could make it any simpler. 

I used the P4Ks all day yesterday at a shoot where I was regularly going from outside in direct sunlight, to shady areas, then to indoor areas with varying light. If you plan to use the P4K in a quickly moving shoot, I **strongly** encourage you to mount an external daylight-viewable monitor to your P4K.

The screen on the P4K works great, unless you are in direct sunlight. In direct sunlight, it is basically unusable. I mounted my SmallHD 5" monitor on top to help, but even that wasn't really bright enough. I could have used one of my 7" Ninja Infernos, but they are kinda big when going handheld. I prefer a 5" monitor unless I am on a tripod. I think that I am going to buy the 2200nit Feelworld monitor and try it, just for kicks (it is a 7", but it is light). I could pick up the Atomos Shinobi, but I need HDMI in and out.

So, for all of you planning to use the P4K in sunlight, you will have to find shade regularly to review your shots, or pick up a bright external monitor. Happy shooting!

2 hours ago, drm said:

I used the P4Ks all day yesterday at a shoot where I was regularly going from outside in direct sunlight, to shady areas, then to indoor areas with varying light. If you plan to use the P4K in a quickly moving shoot, I **strongly** encourage you to mount an external daylight-viewable monitor to your P4K.

The screen on the P4K works great, unless you are in direct sunlight. In direct sunlight, it is basically unusable. I mounted my SmallHD 5" monitor on top to help, but even that wasn't really bright enough. I could have used one of my 7" Ninja Infernos, but they are kinda big when going handheld. I prefer a 5" monitor unless I am on a tripod. I think that I am going to buy the 2200nit Feelworld monitor and try it, just for kicks (it is a 7", but it is light). I could pick up the Atomos Shinobi, but I need HDMI in and out.

So, for all of you planning to use the P4K in sunlight, you will have to find shade regularly to review your shots, or pick up a bright external monitor. Happy shooting!

So are you gonna part with your Ninja Inferno? I had mine for quite some time and been thinking of selling it since I'm using it less and less ever since I switched to music vids / events / run  & gun type of video coverage

I doubt they'll make a Pocket V2 (v3), and if they do, it won't be anytime soon. Plenty of people are still waiting for the current model, and if I was one of those people, I'd be really annoyed if they announced a new version while I'm still waiting on my order. If they did make a new version, they should definitely change the battery type before any other modifications. Oh and also add tilting screen, IBIS, VF, DPAF, full size XLR and a FF sensor. There's no other way to make good films without those things.

53 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I doubt they'll make a Pocket V2 (v3), and if they do, it won't be anytime soon. Plenty of people are still waiting for the current model, and if I was one of those people, I'd be really annoyed if they announced a new version while I'm still waiting on my order. If they did make a new version, they should definitely change the battery type before any other modifications. Oh and also add tilting screen, IBIS, VF, DPAF, full size XLR and a FF sensor. There's no other way to make good films without those things.

You forgot talent. 

5 hours ago, TurboRat said:

So are you gonna part with your Ninja Inferno? I had mine for quite some time and been thinking of selling it since I'm using it less and less ever since I switched to music vids / events / run  & gun type of video coverage

Probably not any time soon. I have a couple of the Atomos Ninja Infernos and I really like them. They are great recorders and monitors and I use them when I am on sticks. They are just too big and heavy for my liking when doing a small handheld rig. I have one of the P4Ks rigged with a cage, handle, and NP970 battery. It makes a nice little rig when used with a stabilized lens. I have also been using it a fair bit on a gimbal.

4 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

This is where that existing battery grip comes in handy.

It's just a shame they went for the smaller NPF batteries in the grip. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it only extends the life to 1.5 or 2 hours. Considering an NPF sled and a bigger battery can run all day, and cost a fraction of the price, you're only really paying for the streamline design. You also lose the option to hot-swap batteries with the grip.