Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dear erstwhile member can you please stop attacking John Brawley now. I have long since given up on camera forum arguments so might not be completely up on who is right and who is wrong-evil /

I like the pictures. A lot.  This camera will probably replace the micro cinema camera for me as it’s not much bigger and is much easier to work with.  I didn’t feel as strongly about the 4K

What a shame. Who are these "deep state" BMD insiders that are here pushing an agenda ? Myself and Hook.  Who else ?  What do you guys think, there's a plot and conspiracy ?  You guys don't wat t

Posted Images

For those that aren't visiting BM forum, here is quote of Juan Melara's cheer and ask about gen 5 color science - as mentioned earlier, also with further playing with gen 5, similarity with P4KAlexa lut is astonishing - it seems as that BM engineers took his achievement as pattern to replicate in effect:

"Just spent an hour or so checking out the new Gen5 colour science. The new gamma curve is great. Pretty much exactly what I’ve always wanted from BMD. Top work.
But Captainhook, Blackmagic Design, any chance you could include an option to disable the Gen5 gamut mapping/limiting? Or include a colour space that has it disabled?
A lot of grading workflows require access to the full unconstrained gamut. For example negative film emulation. Currently neg film emulation works so well on BMD cameras as they see and hold onto extremely saturated colours. The results I’m getting on the P6K in Gen4 are as good as any other camera I’ve shot and profiled.
I’ve got extremely saturated test charts shot on the P6K and on Vision3 film and what the P6K sees in Gen4 is pretty amazing. On the Vision3 charts I can see a gradient of red values getting deeper as they saturate, then organically curving towards orange as they reach peak saturation. On the P6K in Gen4 I can see the same smooth gradient of reds as they reach the same end point but with less of the curve towards orange.
In a profiled LUT based match, that organic curve towards orange is easy to achieve. In a procedural Yedlin style match that curve is easy enough to recreate.
But in Gen5, that gradient of deep red values doesn’t exist, as they’ve been constrained and homogenised into a light pink tone. All the amazing colour separation is gone, which makes it difficult if not impossible to accurately emulate neg film. As you can imagine this is slightly disappointing.
If the URSA 12k and the other BMD cameras are expected to integrate into high end workflows when shooting Gen5, make some colourists and colour scientists happy and please allow access to the full unconstrained gamut."

On 7/18/2020 at 10:41 PM, Kisaha said:

Thank you @anonim for the info.

Does anyone have any IR filter/solution to suggest?

Sorry for delay, I've found that the best price/quality ratio have Rocolax filters, say

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCOLAX-77mm-Optical-UV-IR-CUT-filter-UV-IR-Blocking-Filter-for-camera-lens/173253274325?hash=item2856b32ad5:g:AhsAAMXQUShQ8nk1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 10:46 AM, Yannick Willox said:

I still prefer my older fourthirds lenses on the P4k ... Even the ois seems to have less quirks.

How are you able to get your Four Thirds lenses to work on the P4K? I have an Olympus Four Thirds 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 lens and a Chinese 43-m43 adapter.  It works fine on my Panasonic bodies but the lens won't work on my Pocket 4K.  What adapter are you using?

15 hours ago, Matthew Capowski said:

How are you able to get your Four Thirds lenses to work on the P4K? I have an Olympus Four Thirds 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 lens and a Chinese 43-m43 adapter.  It works fine on my Panasonic bodies but the lens won't work on my Pocket 4K.  What adapter are you using?

Panasonic DMW-MA1

We shot an indie musical feature earlier this year on the BMPCC6K in Tokyo. It was the best choice for our budget range $40,000 ~ $50,000 and our DP just ended up buying it as opposed to renting. Other gear was Nikkor Lenses and TIffen Black Pro Mist 1/4, plus a lot of smoke machine use, and grain addition in post to try to a achieve something approaching a 'film look'. The trailer is much lower res than the finished film but we're super pleased with the results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKF0YxqqEiY&t=2s 

34 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Blaxkmagic have uploaded an update to Resolve that adds Gen 5 support for Windows users.  I've been having a little play with it using footage I shot over the last week and I'm liking the results.  The flatter curve starting point does help.

Totally agree, you can get decent images now by just using the Contrast and Saturation slider. I usually colour manage but for people who like grading from scratch, it feels much more natural! Im really hoping they update the cameras to gen5 

On 2/13/2019 at 4:09 AM, drm said:

For everyone that hasn't seen a BMPCC4K freak out, I finally managed to record mine in action. The camera did this several times prior to the firmware upgrade to 6.1. I had hoped that the firmware upgrade would fix the screen glitching problem. Unfortunately, as I was setting up for a shoot the other day, the camera freaked out again with the 6.1 firmware. I managed to grab my phone and record before the camera did anything harmful, like formatting the T5 drive again.

Note that the camera was turned on and not being touched in any way when this started. You can tell when this problem is starting because it is like someone is tapping the screen to change the focus point. It will eventually open the menus and start going crazy, as you can see in this video. This happens with no apparent pattern. It has done it on the last two shoots. But, after restarting the camera, it didn't do it again, despite the camera running one of the days for 5-6 hours straight.

I spoke with BM about it yesterday and I am sending the camera in for repair tomorrow. The problem is apparently uncommon, as the BM tech support person said that he had never heard of it happening before my report. I know that someone on here commented that their camera had also had this problem. I think he said it was a bad digitizer. If your camera does this, contact BM right away.

Good luck everyone!

Hello, I have faced the same problem today. May I ask how you have solved your problem? Thank you in advance

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 5:53 PM, anonim said:

sorry for bringing that back, but I can't seem to find this filter.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Hoya-77mm-Cut-Screw-Filter/dp/B006OIJTIG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ir-cut+filter&qid=1600627370&sr=8-3

is this ok to buy? any other suggestion? 

When do you people use your IR filters? and can you use it with an ND or Polarizing one?

On 9/20/2020 at 8:44 PM, Kisaha said:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Hoya-77mm-Cut-Screw-Filter/dp/B006OIJTIG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ir-cut+filter&qid=1600627370&sr=8-3

When do you people use your IR filters? and can you use it with an ND or Polarizing one?

I have used the hoya ir cut filter with vari nd and diffusion. Works flawlessly. Use it on the red one as well. 

For the pocket i have upgraded to the rawlite olpf. If you just want ir filtration the hoya is perfect. 

19 hours ago, nickname said:

I have used the hoya ir cut filter with vari nd and diffusion. Works flawlessly. Use it on the red one as well. 

For the pocket i have upgraded to the rawlite olpf. If you just want ir filtration the hoya is perfect. 

I didn't know about the OLPF filter, very interesting. 

Price in EUR € 375,- (excluding 21% VAT, excluding shipping). so expensive though! 

Maybe I will stick to the Hoya for now, as much as I would prefer an internal solution.

On 9/20/2020 at 8:44 PM, Kisaha said:

Sorry, being busy for a while... but luckily mr nickname answered/suggested better than I could. I use also Hoya IRcut with Hoya ND without any issue, but I don't use polarizing filter. Rocolax has the same quality, just cheaper, friend of mine bought for me in UK.

I had  OLPF filter with first Pocket just because I bought it with already installed one - extremely helped with moire problem that luckily doesn't exists with P4K.