Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Just hope they keep same sensor size and small form factor and i will buy. 

And fix some of the known weaknesses of the predecessor, like sound quality and battery life.

I shortlisted the BMPCC but went with the XC10 because my work is run-and-gun and the BMPCC is more like a baby cinema camera by the time you kit it out with all the extra stuff you need to make it a practical setup.

4 hours ago, kye said:

And fix some of the known weaknesses of the predecessor, like sound quality and battery life.

I shortlisted the BMPCC but went with the XC10 because my work is run-and-gun and the BMPCC is more like a baby cinema camera by the time you kit it out with all the extra stuff you need to make it a practical setup.

Agree. Too much pampering for that camera to really be productive.

Beware, maybe a new XC camera with EOS M mount, is around the corner (possibly not!) with touch dual pixel AF and all the good Canon things, and usual 8bit codecs!

51 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Beware, maybe a new XC camera with EOS M mount, is around the corner (possibly not!) with touch dual pixel AF and all the good Canon things, and usual 8bit codecs!

An XC update could add another contender into this space for sure.

One thing that I think is a big deal that people aren't really talking about in the context of new cameras is what ML RAW is doing for existing Canon cameras.

I had the 700D and wanted better video quality so was looking at the XC10 / BMPCC / RX10 / etc, but now my new 700D + ML RAW + Sigma 18-35 + Rode VideoMicro setup really has changed how I think about that camera.  In ways it's far surpassed the BMPCC - not quite in image quality but definitely in battery life, sound quality, and with ML RAW Crop mode, my 18-35 is also a 87-169mm without a loss of resolution, and without having to cart extra lenses around etc (although the 18-35 is as large and heavy as two lenses!).

I have no idea if it's possible for ML, but if they could make a module that did full-sensor readouts (5K video) and saved compressed files with variable bitrates, that might take it into another league again.

27 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Yeah swappable mounts make sense as it could potentially use the Ursa mini pro mount

There is logic to this as there is convenience in a manufacturer providing compatibility across their range of cameras.  Not only does it mean that on set you can have the A-cam and B-cam (and C-cam?) arrangement sharing lenses etc, but it also means that when someone buys into a system at the lower end there's less friction for them to upgrade within the system.

I have no idea what compatibility there is within their current range, but this would be an opportunity to further align things.

Hmm... I don't agree. Swappable mounts it's a feature that I think they will leave on the higher end models. The pocket, after all, is a more consumer model and swappable mounts with consumer audience would be a nightmare. By having a MFT mount, it's already plenty versatile and you'll only need an adapter for most lenses.

13 hours ago, kye said:

With 4k in it I would really doubt battery life will be longer than the original. I doubt BM has the volume to have someone make a special battery just for them. All these newer batteries are brand specific. It is only now that a Sony A7xx camera lasts any longer than a BMPCC did in reality! But we can only hope it does last longer. They are still calling it a Pocket Camera, so I would assume that still means sort of small?

There's no way that it'll be the same size as the original pocket, which will probably mean that they'll stick with the same battery as the Micro because that 4K sensor will need room to breathe - double the width, with a bigger hand grip? If they are to keep the price down, then I suppose they might put in better connectors & the screen won't blow anyone away, but will be useable for a bare bones approach/use. Really don't think the battery will last any longer than the original unless the P4K is a small DSLR size (so pocket in name only), but that 4K sensor will almost certainly need power & cooling. The main thing will be the image that it produces & the rest we'll just have to make do with what they give us, which will probably annoy most people because they will want the earth & BM will just give them a compact camera with a beautiful image. 

2 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

Fuck specs, let's just hope it has Mojo™. 

Here, here!

42 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

There's no way that it'll be the same size as the original pocket, which will probably mean that they'll stick with the same battery as the Micro because that 4K sensor will need room to breathe - double the width, with a bigger hand grip? If they are to keep the price down, then I suppose they might put in better connectors & the screen won't blow anyone away, but will be useable for a bare bones approach/use. Really don't think the battery will last any longer than the original unless the P4K is a small DSLR size (so pocket in name only), but that 4K sensor will almost certainly need power & cooling. The main thing will be the image that it produces & the rest we'll just have to make do with what they give us, which will probably annoy most people because they will want the earth & BM will just give them a compact camera with a beautiful image. 

Why so down on something you haven't seen yet? For all we know the screen might be amazing, etc.,.

3 hours ago, froess said:

Hmm... I don't agree. Swappable mounts it's a feature that I think they will leave on the higher end models. 

If you look at the design of the housing, it's pretty clear that the bulge in the middle isn't just a mount, but contains the whole sensor. So my bet is still on Ricoh GXR-style swappable sensor+mount modules where the 4k option will be the 12 stops/400 ISO 1" sensor from the Micro Studio & URSA Broadcast, and the 14 stops option will be the 1080p sensor from the old pocket/Micro Cinema.

30414818_2382152128477607_5726443577513345024_o.jpg

bmpcc_4k.jpg