Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Whats everyones current predictions then? anything from specs to form factor.

-  1" 4K 400 ISO 12-stop sensor from the Micro Studio/URSA Broadcast + 1" 1080p 800 ISO 14-stop sensor from the old Pocket/Micro Cinema in swappable sensor+mount units, improved 4k sensor in the future.

- 24-30fps 4K raw (because of cooling and bandwidth constraints), higher framerates in 1080p (and sensor crop).

- ProRes Raw + all other conventional ProRes codecs + CinemaDNG in different quality/compression levels.

- Likely a 4K DNG stills mode.

- Active MFT mount (as before).

- LP-E6N battery like the Micro Cinema Camera, short battery life in 4K.

- Fixed screen of mediocre quality (cost-cutting measure as with the previous Pocket), no touchscreen (as indicated by the three function buttons on top of the camera).

- False color in addition to focus peaking and zebras, maybe a display option for anamorphic desequeezing. 

- SD card for storage, requiring 300 MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro cards for 4K raw  recording.

- Full-size, robust HDMI port (like the Micro, unlike the old Pocket).

- Mediocre audio, bad preamps, bad in-camera mic (as with all BM cameras).

- No OLPF, UV/IR filtration still required.

- Maybe a Bluetooth interface + smartphone/tablet camera control app.

- Firmware will be similar or the same as the URSA Mini camera OS, with the same improved user interface.

- Larger housing with better grip, maybe some clever design to improve handheld shooting.

- Price at no more than $1500.

2 hours ago, cantsin said:

Tried to deskew the last image and juxtapose it to that of the old Pocket. Seeing them in this perspective, the new image smells fake:

new_vs_old_bmpcc.jpg

Good detective work.

2 hours ago, anonim said:

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi... :)

Well stated. :grin:

1 hour ago, cantsin said:

-  1" 4K 400 ISO 12-stop sensor from the Micro Studio/URSA Broadcast + 1" 1080p 800 ISO 14-stop sensor from the old Pocket/Micro Cinema in swappable sensor+mount units, improved 4k sensor in the future.

- 24-30fps 4K raw (because of cooling and bandwidth constraints), higher framerates in 1080p (and sensor crop).

- ProRes Raw + all other conventional ProRes codecs + CinemaDNG in different quality/compression levels.

- Likely a 4K DNG stills mode.

- Active MFT mount (as before).

- LP-E6N battery like the Micro Cinema Camera, short battery life in 4K.

- Fixed screen of mediocre quality (cost-cutting measure as with the previous Pocket), no touchscreen (as indicated by the three function buttons on top of the camera).

- False color in addition to focus peaking and zebras, maybe a display option for anamorphic desequeezing. 

- SD card for storage, requiring 300 MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro cards for 4K raw  recording.

- Full-size, robust HDMI port (like the Micro, unlike the old Pocket).

- Mediocre audio, bad preamps, bad in-camera mic (as with all BM cameras).

- No OLPF, UV/IR filtration still required.

- Maybe a Bluetooth interface + smartphone/tablet camera control app.

- Firmware will be similar or the same as the URSA Mini camera OS, with the same improved user interface.

- Larger housing with better grip, maybe some clever design to improve handheld shooting.

- Price at no more than $1500.

So, in short, a camera that is excellent when it is used as one third of a cine setup, but not a good standalone performer...?

Man BM is killing it.  I believe this my be the point where I dump everything for Them.  I'm all about that post work flow just wonder if I should keep bmpcc for b cam.  I'm drinking the kool aid for real. 

You think this will push used pocket cams 1.0 to $250 us?

they would really have to fumble this in a Epic lengedary fashion for me not to have is before years out.(most likely a lot sooner)

13 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Side bar, why is there different threads above the general thread? Like black magic cameras and stuff for sale etc. more people view these general posts 

They're not threads. They'e subforums

12 hours ago, kye said:

There is logic to this as there is convenience in a manufacturer providing compatibility across their range of cameras.  Not only does it mean that on set you can have the A-cam and B-cam (and C-cam?) arrangement sharing lenses etc, but it also means that when someone buys into a system at the lower end there's less friction for them to upgrade within the system.

Sony supports this, from the a5100 to the VENICE. 

Meanwhile, Panasonic fvcked this up with their EVA1 not having a MFT option. 

38 minutes ago, Juxx989 said:

they would really have to fumble this in a Epic lengedary fashion for me not to have is before years out.(most likely a lot sooner)

I'd suggest that people not buying one because they fumbled it is less likely than people not buying one because of other more tempting options also appearing.  There's lots going on in this price-range (when you consider all the support equipment required they're up against lots of other -seemingly- more expensive setups).

1 hour ago, kye said:

I'd suggest that people not buying one because they fumbled it is less likely than people not buying one because of other more tempting options also appearing.  There's lots going on in this price-range (when you consider all the support equipment required they're up against lots of other -seemingly- more expensive setups).

For me BMPCC was/is the most beautiful (cinematic) learning tool above all specs/quirks. I just hope new one will somehow retain that special distinctive DNA profile... although perhaps it is more or and more hard to keep such position.

Wow at last! Didn’t buy the original but loved using it (due to the image). 

My wild prediction: 

- S16 sensor 

- Detachable 4” touch screen (fit it on the camera or off camera) 

- CFast slot and SD slot

- 4K 60fps (at a stretch, I’m expecting at least one “wow” feature ) 

- Canon LP-E6 batteries 

- 13 stops DR 

- ProRes RAW in future firmware 

- Price $1295 

I hope it will be like that..... please. They’ve had 5 years to make it. I hope it’s as charming as the original. 

16 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

The 5 things that would make the update WELL worth it.

Slow Mo

Canon Batteries

Full sized HDMI

Flip out screen

I doubt that it will have Slow Mo in 4K raw. The camera is most likely to have an SD card slot and require 300MB/s Sandisk cards for 4K raw recording, which have about 200MB/s (=1600Mbit/s) continuous write speed. That write speed is required for recording ProRes Raw at 4K/30fps (whose bitrate is up to 1400Mbits, according to Apple's White Paper). 

Flip-out screen would be unlikely, too, because screens have always been where BM cuts costs. But a robust HDMI port would partly make up for that.

it better not be more... especially if it's a 1" sensor. too many good large sensor hybrids in the sub $2K region atm. and with ProRes Raw probably appearing in future DSLR/MILCs, BM are going to have to be real innovative & agressive to turn heads imo.

20 minutes ago, Django said:

and with ProRes Raw probably appearing in future DSLR/MILCs, BM are going to have to be real innovative & agressive to turn heads imo.

I don't think that this will happen. Otherwise we could have had conventional ProRes in DSLRs/mirrorless cameras which didn't happen either. So far, ProRes has exclusively lived in the world of postproduction, external recorders and small/niche camera makers.

- But it could indeed happen that future DSLR/mirrorless cameras, including the upcoming Sony A7s III, will offer external ProRes Raw with Atomos recorders. The resulting package would be more cumbersome than an integrated camera like the Pocket, but beat it in image quality...

@cantsin I think it's a possibility since ProRes Raw brings so much more to the table in post than just ProRes yet in a similar average size bitrate. It's like raw for stills is now almost default in every camera which wasn't the case a decade ago.

But of course I'm saying this because of Atomos's advertising on the new recorder aiming it at DSLR/MILCs with ProRes Raw via HDMI.

Wishful thinking maybe but i really hope the introduction of this new codec will be a game changer and that camera makers will run with it..