Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
55 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

It's kind of funny that to really make the Pocket 4K work well, it usually ends up looking like the Ursa. 

I don't know, I shot over a weekend with it when it first arrived with nothing but a shoulder strap for stabilization and it worked just fine for me. It was still a joy to use and nobody would I know I didn't have all kinds of crap hanging from it.

8 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

image.thumb.png.e02938886df34a1fc03059aca6e013cb.png

I think it is the Woodencamera kit as you can see the SDI in the back of the viewfinder. It looks like he's gone Camera > HDMI > Video Assist > SDI > VF. You could do the same thing, but replace the VA with BMD HDMI-SDI converter. They're like 30 bucks second hand, and run on USB power. Could tidy up the kit and minimise loose wires if you mount it somewhere out the way... like taped to a V-mount with USB output for example.

Of course - makes sense. Thanks for sussing that out. Waiting for that PortKeys O-eye 3G EVF to come out.

5 hours ago, graphicnatured said:

I don't know, I shot over a weekend with it when it first arrived with nothing but a shoulder strap for stabilization and it worked just fine for me. It was still a joy to use and nobody would I know I didn't have all kinds of crap hanging from it.

Yeah ,for sure, I can see someone handhold the thing with just a lens, mic and SD/CFAST. It's kind of hard to do that for long with that small battery and non-articulating display though.

3 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Yeah ,for sure, I can see someone handhold the thing with just a lens, mic and SD/CFAST. It's kind of hard to do that for long with that small battery and non-articulating display though.

Yeah, a monitor setup on top can help, but in a lot of ways I still like carrying extra batteries over a v-mount. If I really want to carry something that heavy I'd just grab the Ursa because once you add that, it may as well be, like you said.

10 minutes ago, graphicnatured said:

Yeah, a monitor setup on top can help, but in a lot of ways I still like carrying extra batteries over a v-mount. If I really want to carry something that heavy I'd just grab the Ursa because once you add that, it may as well be, like you said.

I would also prefer to carry more batteries because that means that the weight of all the extra batteries is in your bag where it's much more comfortable over time than carrying it in your arms when holding the camera.  Of course, in terms of a P4K fully rigged up vs an Ursa, the P4K option is nice to have because it offers flexibility between different shooting situations.  You can't make an Ursa small like a P4K is without a big rig.

If you were hiring a camera for a single shoot and needed it all rigged out then sure, just get an Ursa, but if you're buying it (like most people would be with a P4K I would imagine) then the flexibility is a useful thing.

BTW, does anyone know why BM doesn't advertise their fixes and firmware improvements ahead of time instead, of just opting to dropping them out of the blue on their users? 

I only say this when you compare it to other camera manufacturers that tell you months in advance that they are working to improve or add something.

6 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

BTW, does anyone know why BM doesn't advertise their fixes and firmware improvements ahead of time instead, of just opting to dropping them out of the blue on their users? 

I only say this when you compare it to other camera manufacturers that tell you months in advance that they are working to improve or add something.

Honestly, I think it's because many BM users are whiny and entitled. Announcements would get hyped up beyond reason and ultimately people would be underwhelmed by the actual improvements. Look at what happened with some of the GH5 AF improvement announcements: people jumped the gun and starting declaring that it would be Canon Dual Pixel level performance immediately, only to be disappointed when the firmware was actually released. Better to just surprise people.

I say this as a BM user and lover.

1 hour ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Honestly, I think it's because many BM users are whiny and entitled. Announcements would get hyped up beyond reason and ultimately people would be underwhelmed by the actual improvements. Look at what happened with some of the GH5 AF improvement announcements: people jumped the gun and starting declaring that it would be Canon Dual Pixel level performance immediately, only to be disappointed when the firmware was actually released. Better to just surprise people.

Hmmm.. that doesn't sound like a very good reason.  It would seem to me that drumming up some excitement would greatly outweigh any potential disappointments.

I always thought it was a bandwidth issue as it seems like BM is a small shop and can only devote their engineering resources towards a few projects at once. That's just guessing, though.

21 hours ago, mercer said:

I read the description of the Laforet video and I’m glad to hear that BM fixed the highlight rolloff issue that a lot of people complained about in the earlier models. 

From the Laforet Youtube video description: “What’s impressive about this package is the micro four thirds sensor. This sensor has an incredible roll off of highlights that I seldom see which really opens up your ability to capture an incredible dynamic range, from the deep shadows to extremely high highlights all the way to the sunlight”.

I wonder which Blackmagic Camera version update this was shot with to allow the sensor to display its "incredible roll off of highlights".  Were they shooting 6.1 with Cinema DNG? Were they shooting 6.3 or 6.4 and Blackmagic has silently rolled in better highlight response or was it there the whole time and the newest Resolve 16.4 beta or some future release beta unlocks the sensor "incredible roll off of highlight"potential with the way it process BRAW.

At 4:54 in this video, it illustrates and describes the highlight issue.

If Blackmagic has some how improved the highlight rolloff characteristics with pocket 4k generated video files,  it would be great to know what combination of Pocket 4k hardware version, Blackmagic Camera version update , recording format and recording format post processing to unleash this potential.

If nothing has changed on Blackmagic's side, maybe Laforet could share his recording technique to achieve incredible highlight rolloff with the Pocket 4k because this guy does beautiful work, so I am hoping he knows something I don't know and will be willing to share his knowledge with the community, or that he will tell Blackmagic and they can share it with the community.

Hopefully someone will clarify how this was made a reality.

14 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

13 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Hmmm.. that doesn't sound like a very good reason.  It would seem to me that drumming up some excitement would greatly outweigh any potential disappointments.

I always thought it was a bandwidth issue as it seems like BM is a small shop and can only devote their engineering resources towards a few projects at once. That's just guessing, though.

i doubt their too concerned about us. We hit about 380 pages before the bmp4k even shipped.if they were interested in excitement you'd see more action from captain hook or some other person from bm. Besides bm have their own forum, surely they would consult with the party faithful before us or another forum Not that i'm complaining its nice to see the occasional post from bm with what ever they feel pertinent about  and correcting the odd post thats got incorrect information in it, which i think is also nice. They sprang the no more dng files with no warning. i expect that will continue, no idea how deep the rabbit warren is but its bm who have theirs hands on the wheel so buckle up and enjoy the ride or get a sony ?

On 6/13/2019 at 3:25 PM, mercer said:

I read the description of the Laforet video and I’m glad to hear that BM fixed the highlight rolloff issue that a lot of people complained about in the earlier models. 

Was there an official update that addressed highlight roll off? I hadn’t seen that. I’ve been waiting all this time for @Sage to help me with that. ?

22 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Was there an official update that addressed highlight roll off? I hadn’t seen that. I’ve been waiting all this time for @Sage to help me with that. ?

The firmware update from the 27 may didn’t mention any upgrades for the P4K...maybe it was a silent fix? Haven’t tried upgrading yet

2 hours ago, dslnc said:

The firmware update from the 27 may didn’t mention any upgrades for the P4K...maybe it was a silent fix? Haven’t tried upgrading yet

I updated all three of my cameras last night, using the 6.4 updater. The cameras now show a firmware version of 6.2.1, which is the last update on the BM site that mentions the P4K.