Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thats a super impressive update. 

Been very impressed with the BMP4K.  I am still shooting at 1080p 60fps with it.(Quick workflow) I think it's the best bang for the buck at the price.

I am still trying to work out it's sweet spot. But I think its between 400-640 iso. Thats where I have had the best results. This update pumps some more sellby date into this cam. 

On 10/28/2019 at 11:58 AM, Dunjoye said:

Thats a super impressive update. 

Been very impressed with the BMP4K.  I am still shooting at 1080p 60fps with it.(Quick workflow) I think it's the best bang for the buck at the price.

I am still trying to work out it's sweet spot. But I think its between 400-640 iso. Thats where I have had the best results. This update pumps some more sellby date into this cam. 

Just a quick thought on this. I think you may find that shooting in 4k in Braw 5Q for 1080 delivery is the sweetspot.

It's an optimum workflow in that the files sizes are very small for both acquisition and working in post/Resolve.

Downresing to 1080 in Resolve will give you the best HD image and you don't have to worry about iso because all of that can be adjusted in post shooting Braw.

It's really liberating to focus on the creative knowing that you have the control to optimize everything from iso and exposure to white balance after the fact. Just shoot with a viewing LUT so you know you're getting what you want in real time and it comes together really quickly in color and edit.

5 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

Just a quick thought on this. I think you may find that shooting in 4k in Braw 5Q for 1080 delivery is the sweetspot.

It's an optimum workflow in that the files sizes are very small for both acquisition and working in post/Resolve.

Downresing to 1080 in Resolve will give you the best HD image and you don't have to worry about iso because all of that can be adjusted in post shooting Braw.

It's really liberating to focus on the creative knowing that you have the control to optimize everything from iso and exposure to white balance after the fact. Just shoot with a viewing LUT so you know you're getting what you want in real time and it comes together really quickly in color and edit.

It may seem a bit counter intuitive to some, but I think that having a pro feature like BRAW recording at this price point actually makes the camera more accessible. Now less skilled people can produce much better content. With traditional codecs, the videographer needs to worry about getting the exposure correct, the white balance accurate, etc. With BRAW, many of those things are less important to get completely right on location. You simply have to be somewhat close and then we can adjust in post to get nice images. I was out of town earlier this week and my wife was able to film something by herself and the footage turned out nice. (She is a great editor, but she sucks as a camera operator.) Normally, I would have done a FaceTime call to walk through all of the exposure, white balance, and other settings. Despite our having walked through the setup a dozen or more times, I still get the "I can't figure this out" call most times.  In this case, she was able to cover the shoot unaided, thanks to BRAW. It is almost like having auto settings on a camera that actually work :)

3 hours ago, drm said:

It may seem a bit counter intuitive to some, but I think that having a pro feature like BRAW recording at this price point actually makes the camera more accessible. Now less skilled people can produce much better content. With traditional codecs, the videographer needs to worry about getting the exposure correct, the white balance accurate, etc. With BRAW, many of those things are less important to get completely right on location. You simply have to be somewhat close and then we can adjust in post to get nice images. I was out of town earlier this week and my wife was able to film something by herself and the footage turned out nice. (She is a great editor, but she sucks as a camera operator.) Normally, I would have done a FaceTime call to walk through all of the exposure, white balance, and other settings. Despite our having walked through the setup a dozen or more times, I still get the "I can't figure this out" call most times.  In this case, she was able to cover the shoot unaided, thanks to BRAW. It is almost like having auto settings on a camera that actually work :)

There is definitely a very practical side to RAW. 

11 hours ago, drm said:

?The camera is still not idiot proof with these benefits. Had a friend working as my camera OP, and I kept reviewing each shots and adjusting the camera for him.  Still requires a bit of a skill 

17 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

Interesting, I havent actually used raw. Just Pro-res 422 HQ. That's why I mentioned the iso. The 1080 I shot recently is just as good as the 4K to the eye. I will eventually start toying BRAW. I i am a straight to FCPX type of shooter. Preference of UI over davinci 

9 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its too bad you can't do BRAW 1080 without cropping

Why wouldn’t you just downscale 4K though? I guess I’m in the mind that if I’m shooting RAW I want the biggest image available in terms of resolution. Otherwise what’s the point? 

Kinda like being upset you can’t drive a Ferrari down an unpaved foot path,

7 hours ago, IncriminatingPictures said:

Why wouldn’t you just downscale 4K though? I guess I’m in the mind that if I’m shooting RAW I want the biggest image available in terms of resolution. Otherwise what’s the point? 

Kinda like being upset you can’t drive a Ferrari down an unpaved foot path,

Easier to edit 1080p and I really dislike having to downscale stuff simply for the sake of editing as its just another step. I never really rescale stuff and output in 1080p regardless. Color is more my concern than resolution. 

• Super Members

Some shameless pimping for v1.4 of 3C in case you missed it in the other thread.

Added support for using Tilta Nucleus Nano focus wheel to control native and EF adapted lenses without requiring gear rings/focus motor/power.

Ideal for gimbals or just to keep the overall package form down.

I do get why you'd want to shoot 1080 in camera, but making 4k footage 1080 in Resolve isn't an extra step at all. If you're sequence is HD, it auto scales to fit, so from a user experience it's exactly the same as working with 1080 material.

The difference is in the storage used and possibly the speed of your playback and export.

I had my first experience with the Bmpcc4k. Rented one and took it to a friend's wedding to see how it stood up. I had barely anytime to get to know the camera so there will be user errors. I've yet to see the images as what I really wanted to check was reliability and handling.

Good things first: actually feels very nice in the hand, menus nice, recording individual sound on each channel, once I'd pumped up the brightness on the screen it was nice to use. 

Bad things: wtf, so unreliable. Shut off 4 times although connected to external battery and internal. At one moment it would only record clips of one second then stop. Then it started recording normally again. It took an age to start up and even longer to read the SD to be ready to record (nearly 2 mins!). I tried 4k 50p and 2.6k 50p to see if that helped but no. Another weird thing is when watch the clips in playback it would only show the clips recorded in the same settings as the came was at at that moment (4k, could only review 4k. 2.6k could only review 2.6k).

The rental place is reliable and always want feedback from their clients. I was the first to use the camera after the new firmware was installed. It could be that. The SD card (v90) had never had problems before with the camera according to them. 

So was that just a freak shitty experience or does that kind of stuff happen a lot?

1 hour ago, Thpriest said:

I had my first experience with the Bmpcc4k. Rented one and took it to a friend's wedding to see how it stood up. I had barely anytime to get to know the camera so there will be user errors. I've yet to see the images as what I really wanted to check was reliability and handling.

Good things first: actually feels very nice in the hand, menus nice, recording individual sound on each channel, once I'd pumped up the brightness on the screen it was nice to use. 

Bad things: wtf, so unreliable. Shut off 4 times although connected to external battery and internal. At one moment it would only record clips of one second then stop. Then it started recording normally again. It took an age to start up and even longer to read the SD to be ready to record (nearly 2 mins!). I tried 4k 50p and 2.6k 50p to see if that helped but no. Another weird thing is when watch the clips in playback it would only show the clips recorded in the same settings as the came was at at that moment (4k, could only review 4k. 2.6k could only review 2.6k).

The rental place is reliable and always want feedback from their clients. I was the first to use the camera after the new firmware was installed. It could be that. The SD card (v90) had never had problems before with the camera according to them. 

So was that just a freak shitty experience or does that kind of stuff happen a lot?

verry interesting. I haven't updated any of my cameras yet since we are in the middle of wedding season. But all of our bm (2 p4k and 1 p6k) has been really reliable so far. We use npf plate and t5 ssd on all of them and none has any shut down issue. I have found if the ssd is more than 3/4 full, it takes a lot longer to read. 

The playback thing is the same with every bm camera so it's not a bug. 

j.jpg

2 hours ago, xzobinx said:

verry interesting. I haven't updated any of my cameras yet since we are in the middle of wedding season. But all of our bm (2 p4k and 1 p6k) has been really reliable so far. We use npf plate and t5 ssd on all of them and none has any shut down issue. I have found if the ssd is more than 3/4 full, it takes a lot longer to read. 

The playback thing is the same with every bm camera so it's not a bug. 

j.jpg

I didn't realise the playback was like that. It sure gave me a fright!!!