Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Well, if you're shooting stuff that can't be reshot and you need flexibility on location, but you have more time in post. 

Or what about then you need very wide and tele shots within 10 seconds of each other? What other option is there for MFT users?

Sure it's not ideal, but I'm fairly sure 12-100 is the only option, and the downside is 45 seconds of extra time in post.

45 seconds for how many shots? And what about 12-13-14-15-16-...100mm?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

45 seconds for how many shots?

Copy - paste the effect to all you clips at any given focal length. I agree, it's less than ideal, but doesn't stop it being a run-and-gun lens. You can shoot fast with it, and then fix it up later... isn't post work what this camera's all about anyway? 

If you need a corrected lens and have no time for editing/grading, perhaps there's a different camera out there that's more suitable to your needs.

13 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Copy - paste the effect to all you clips at any given focal length. I agree, it's less than ideal, but doesn't stop it being a run-and-gun lens. You can shoot fast with it, and then fix it up later... isn't post work what this camera's all about anyway? 

If you need a corrected lens and have no time for editing/grading, perhaps there's a different camera out there that's more suitable to your needs.

Maybe a firmware update with lens profiles for the most popular lenses will add that angle to the camera and make more people happy than less people.

I am 100% sure that I am not alone on that.

Right and uncropped 1080p Braw too - but then there's the argument that it's no longer raw video... same as uncropped 4k Braw on the 6k camera... fixing the lens distortion in camera will no longer be a raw image.

I can't say it enough, I do agree with you, however I don't see BMD implementing lens profiles into this camera.

7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What is the point having a run n gun lens and have to correct every shot in post?

If you are looking for a single lens allrounder that can be alternative to your Olympus then adapting a Tamron 16-300mm f3.5-f6.3 might be worth thinking about.

On a speed booster it becomes slightly wider on the short end (and has a lot more range on the long end obviously ;) ) and a few stops faster. The speed booster also brings the f6.3 long end back to f4 as well so you won't be losing out there either and can just run it as a constant f4 if you want.

I've just done this quick comparison on the P4K for you between it and the Panasonic 12-60mm f2.8/f4 (which is typical of the uncorrected wide end of the native lenses) so you can see the difference in the distortion at the wide end with walls and edges.

EDIT>>>SEE POST FURTHER DOWN FOR RE-SHOT TEST

Whilst the Tamron isn't exactly distortion free either, it shows far less than the Panasonic.

Also, if you go in by a fraction (17-18mm unboosted versus 16mm unboosted) then it improves quite a lot more.

Size and weight wise, its a bit less than the Olympus.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=tamron_16-300-3p5-6p3&products=olympus_12-100_4p0_is_pro

It also has pretty decent stabilisation and the big kicker of course is the price as they can readily be found used for under £250.

Its not without its faults (it isn't particularly sharp at the very long end but the speed booster does alleviate that somewhat) but as a run and gun all rounder it is a decent alternative.

59 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Size and weight wise, its a bit less than the Olympus.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=tamron_16-300-3p5-6p3&products=olympus_12-100_4p0_is_pro

Its not without its faults (it isn't particularly sharp at the very long end but the speed booster does alleviate that somewhat) but as a run and gun all rounder it is a decent alternative.

How strange a humble Tamron to perform like this! 

The 12-60 is a bit better than the Olympus in the wide end, but the big issue in general is the 12-17mm. The 18mm Canon's I tried were a lot better.

Thank you very much for the recommendation.

1 minute ago, Kisaha said:

The 12-60 is a bit better than the Olympus in the wide end, but the big issue in general is the 12-17mm. The 18mm Canon's I tried were a lot better.

Mmmm....

I've flawed that test a little bit.

Give me 20 mins to fix it.

59 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The camera was tilting up a bit on the original which was making the distortion look even more pronounced so I've re-done it.

They are now closer but the Tamron still shades it if you move it in to 17-18mm so it matches the FOV of the Panasonic and the distortion is actually reduced a bit further.

For added context, I have included a Canon 16-35mm f2.8 L lens (on the speed booster) for comparison and well.........

555767815_PanvTamronvCanon.thumb.jpg.075c11bb288f768a5ff9758f08fd299c.jpg

Here's a more detailed list:

Support for Blackmagic Pocket Battery Grip

Support for new horizon meter tool

4K 2.40:1 (4096 x 1712) recording up to 60 fps in Blackmagic RAW (4K model)

2.6K (2688 x 1512) recording up to 120 fps in Blackmagic RAW (4K model)

2.8K 4:3 (2280 x 2160) recording up to 80 fps in Blackmagic RAW (4K model)

2x desqueeze preview when recording 2.8K 4:3

1.33x desqueeze preview when recording in 16:9 and 17:9 formats

Pinch to zoom up to 8x magnification

USB PTP control support

New 1:1 and 4:5 frame guide options

New ability to type in custom frame guide ratios

Improve auto focus performance

Language localizations

Done. Just tested and right in time for a shooting scheduled for tonight. Thanks.

A few AF tests performed with a cheap Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 in low light (6:45PM in Western Europe right now) EXT-INT (street buildings from town landscape to a monitor LCD inside the office only a few feet over there). Fast as a shark and damned accurate in any of my early tests.

Much impressed and really improved. Looks like a different camera unit...

75 -> 25 fps adds something there as well. My fav modes from now on.

Anamorphic modes, oh well, no need for additional comments. Any of this for the 6K model as well?

Absolutely... perfect update : P Kudos to you BMD, you're definitely the camera manufacturer number one in 2019 -- who shoots with a Blackmagic won't want to look back ever again... what a tool! And a joy to play with : ) Simply anyone can operate with one. Easier than any of the usual suspects with those nonsense labyrinth menus totally unfriendly to the sake of the art. This is the way! Elitism is over on filmmaking nowadays, thanks to these Aussies! : -)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101259

20 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Done. Just tested and right in time for a shooting scheduled for tonight. Thanks.

A few AF tests performed with a cheap Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 in low light (6:45PM in Western Europe right now) EXT-INT (street buildings from town landscape to a monitor LCD inside the office only a few feet over there). Fast as a shark and damned accurate in any of my early tests.

Much impressed and really improved. Looks like a different camera unit...

75 -> 25 fps adds something there as well. My fav modes from now on.

Anamorphic modes, oh well, no need for additional comments. Any of this for the 6K model as well?

Absolutely... perfect update : P Kudos to you BMD, you're definitely the camera manufacturer number one in 2019 -- who shoots with a Blackmagic won't want to look back ever again... what a tool! And a joy to play with : ) Simply anyone can operate with one. Easier than any of the usual suspects with those nonsense labyrinth menus totally unfriendly to the sake of the art. This is the way! Elitism is over on filmmaking nowadays, thanks to these Aussies! : -)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101259

I simply love your enthusiasm Emanuel -

and actually I feel pretty much the same. It is almost like Xmas each time a camera update gets released or resolve getting an update.

lovely tools 🙂 

On 10/24/2019 at 12:10 PM, CaptainHook said:

Apologies, it is indeed 75 fps. The text I posted was old and before we had confirmed the final FPS we could achieve.

Any plans for a 240fps 1080p ? 

Hi, I'm an idiot!

I thought the update was quick and did it with a battery! I know...and I hate myself.

Of course, the update take a long time and the battery died during the process.

Now when turning the pocket 4k on, the screen remain black and the update utility doesn't recognize it anymore. The blue light on the left front is blincking but that's all.

So, I was thinking about maybe a reset of the camera but I can't find anything on the net about how to do it.

Any help? Even for a fool like me?

1 hour ago, christrad said:

Hi, I'm an idiot!

I thought the update was quick and did it with a battery! I know...and I hate myself.

Of course, the update take a long time and the battery died during the process.

Now when turning the pocket 4k on, the screen remain black and the update utility doesn't recognize it anymore. The blue light on the left front is blincking but that's all.

So, I was thinking about maybe a reset of the camera but I can't find anything on the net about how to do it.

Any help? Even for a fool like me?

Hi @christrad I read a post on BMD's forum yesterday..

POST...

"My camera update went til 70%, once there all the usb devices disconnected and windows showed a "can't recognize the usb device" it was stuck and it wouldn't show any activity. Now, the camera doesn't power on and the front recording led is blinkg in white. ¿Is there any way to reset the camera? or it is a brick now

EDIT: I sent a mail to BM support and they answered right away with the solution: copy of the response, in case anyone needs it:

Confirm that the camera is still connected via USB, switch the power to OFF then back ON.
Immediately after powering ON, hold down the Focus Button (the one with the crosshairs) for about 10 seconds.
This should put the camera into recovery mode and allow it to show up in the software and allow you to run the update again."

POST END

Hope this helps, otherwise contact BMD yourself :)