Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

On 5/20/2019 at 2:01 AM, CaptainHook said:

Ignoring the made up numbers here, in terms of debayer quality the method for cDNG is much older as not anywhere near as good as Blackmagic RAW. I see a lot of people mistake the artefacts of the DNG debayer as sharpness. Its not that the cDNG debayer is necessarily keeping more details, but it IS creating false detail. An interesting comparison was just posted here that's worth looking at :

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=510320#p510320

Especially this image - what you're seeing on the DNG is not real information the DNG retained, it's CREATING it (falsely) and it can look like sharpness/detail when it's over areas of real detail, but it's a very "hard" and digital feeling look IMHO :

1731-Noise-Noise.jpg

But also pay really close attention to the resolution image at the above link. You can see on the right hand side the artefacts between the red and yellow resolution lines and around the edges of the circle. These artefacts are not real detail or sharpness that you lose with Blackmagic RAW, they are created in error.

Something to consider as well is we get a lot of feedback from customers that 4.6K Blackmagic RAW still has more resolution than some "other" cameras 8K RAW images - likely because of strong optical low pass filtering that without could produce similar artefacts as shown in DNG.

The highlights and shadows sliders in cDNG are NOT debayering RAW controls and work on debayered data only. They are the exact same (mathematically) as the ones in the primaries tab and work exactly the same on Blackmagic RAW as the DNG RAW tab ones. I demonstrated this for someone on Facebook last year..

I would like to return to this contribution.

Here it is claimed that the cDNG example is false details. I quote "Especially this image - what you're seeing on the DNG is not real information the DNG retained, it's CREATING it (falsely) and it can look like sharpness/detail when it's over areas of real detail, but it's a very "hard" and digital feeling look IMHO"

That's not correct. The solution can also be found in your Blackmagic forum:  http://54.172.192.242/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51936&start=350#p310046

Or: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75290

The solution is very simple: "use the "pan/tilt" setting in the Color Tab (same values of 0.5 each)" 

Thanks to Dmitry Shijan for the advice!

If DNG does false details, why is it that they are back by simple correction without affecting the sharpness? 

This is probably a firmware bug that has not been fixed by the Blackmagic team. 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here is my P4K Film - Rec 709 LUT with built in natural highlight roll-off. 

I created it for myself for monitoring & fast colour correcting. Hopefully someone here might find it useful, if you do let me know what you think!

P4K - Rec709.cube

Here's my unscientific test - I shot this interview viewing the Leeming LUT in camera, so there is a bias there as that's what I exposed for. In Premiere, I've tried to closely match exposures between the Leeming, BMD Extended Video and Jordan's LUT. Other than Exposure adjustments, all other settings are exactly the same - and Exposure is not a perfect match between them.

Extended Video:

Extended.thumb.jpg.b2e57726de0390427bf5a573cff607a6.jpg

Leeming:

Leeming.thumb.jpg.4b4563f8afbfe3ee8febad1b7de64273.jpg

@JordanWright

Wright.thumb.jpg.04e90fc6e2d6078dfb91d920f43b38be.jpg

I have just spent hours looking around for a type c male to male with a 90 degree head. The standard cable that came with the samsung t5 ssd cable hanging out the side has been bothering me. I bought this ugreen cable from china maybe it will turn up before xmas. Its 50 cm long maybe a little long but should be better than most that are 1 meter or longer. I run my ssd under the camera on a plastic homemade holder, I figure i should be able to vary the excess cable by moving the ssd either forward or backwards, plus i like that the ssd is out of the way under the camera. Curious as to how others with ssd's and cabling have solved their issues ?

ugreen.jpg

ssdHolder.jpg

39 minutes ago, leslie said:

I have just spent hours looking around for a type c male to male with a 90 degree head. The standard cable that came with the samsung t5 ssd cable hanging out the side has been bothering me. I bought this ugreen cable from china maybe it will turn up before xmas. Its 50 cm long maybe a little long but should be better than most that are 1 meter or longer. I run my ssd under the camera on a plastic homemade holder, I figure i should be able to vary the excess cable by moving the ssd either forward or backwards, plus i like that the ssd is out of the way under the camera. Curious as to how others with ssd's and cabling have solved their issues ?

I have some stuff from Ugreen. They are higher grade than the usual Chinese accessories.

I use the Tilta cable.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I have some stuff from Ugreen. They are higher grade than the usual Chinese accessories.

I use the Tilta cable.

thats good to know about ugreen. Haven't heard about them before finding a listing on ebay.  Ii'll also have a look at tilta

2 hours ago, leslie said:

thats good to know about ugreen. Haven't heard about them before finding a listing on ebay.  Ii'll also have a look at tilta

I buy a lot of stuff from amazon.de and they have a lot of Ugreen products.

I have the Tilta cage, and as you can see it fits nicely there https://www.cinegearpro.co.uk/products/tilta-cb-usbc-20-usb-type-c-cable-for-bmpcc-4k-cage-rig20cm

On 11/23/2019 at 9:47 AM, osmanovic said:

That's not correct. The solution can also be found in your Blackmagic forum:  http://54.172.192.242/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51936&start=350#p310046

The issue shown at Slashcam is not the same crosshatching issue you link and has a different cause. The "solution" of adjusting pan/tilt in Resolve (I would call it a workaround, not a solution) might help hide the crosshatching issue (that was addressed in a firmware update) but doesn't change the underlying artefacts from the DNG debayer shown at Slashcam.

On 11/28/2019 at 7:54 PM, JordanWright said:

Initially I created it to view in Rec709 with highlight rolloff but Ive found it useful for a base to start a grade.

Heres one of my samples.

BMD Film
My 709 LUT
BMD Extended Video

Untitled_1.2.1.pngUntitled_1.2.2.pngUntitled_1.2.3.png

wow who is she man? gorgeous gal ?

On 11/29/2019 at 5:54 AM, JordanWright said:

Initially I created it to view in Rec709 with highlight rolloff but Ive found it useful for a base to start a grade.

Heres one of my samples.

BMD Film
My 709 LUT
BMD Extended Video

Untitled_1.2.1.pngUntitled_1.2.2.pngUntitled_1.2.3.png

On 12/2/2019 at 7:49 AM, shooter said:

wow who is she man? gorgeous gal ?

i was admiring the almost perfect bokeh ball down in the bottom of the left hand corner,  very round, very sexy. Hadn't really noticed the Gal ?

Interesting indeed. Something nicely nuanced about the Sony shots. The way it handles color, highlights and shadows... it's like shooting a lens with Black Pro-Mist filter and without, but here it's the sensor/camera itself making all the difference. The BMPCC4K might be more technically correct... but so is a smartphone these days. What you want is not hyperrealism. If you sell me a dream, I need the image to speak to the imagination and take me to a different world... the F3 manages to do that with its X-factor. The BMPCC4K less. Actually got rid of mine. Sticking to the original two BMPCCs I have which I feel do a better job at giving me that filmic/cinematic vibe. Still... the BMPCC4K is one incredible piece of kit in the right hands with the right approach.

The Waterboys concert in Lisbon. Last week.

Much impressed to say the least : ) Better capture device I had for music live purpose so far...

So glad with the outcome and camera system performance that this setup and braw format are the production choice to be used in the following music shootings to come (as well, further steps of the current project).

E : -)