Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, anonim said:

Short shot with Pocket 4k and Dzofilm 20-70mm Parfocal Cine Zoom T2.9

Beautifully shot. 

Looks like the 6k wins out by a small but noticeable margin. 
Both cameras are really impressive though, the highlight recovery tool in resolve is incredible. 

5 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

That is really interesting. I thought both cameras were the same except for resolution and mount.

Yeah I think Cinema 5d really f'ed up with their dynamic range testings on it. The Pocket 6k is way overlooked image wise. It really goes toe to toe with almost any camera out there. 

On 2/22/2020 at 7:05 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I think Cinema 5d really f'ed up with their dynamic range testings on it. The Pocket 6k is way overlooked image wise. It really goes toe to toe with almost any camera out there. 

So what's the verdict if someone want's to get a BM cam? P4K or P6K?

1 hour ago, TurboRat said:

So what's the verdict if someone want's to get a BM cam? P4K or P6K?

I'd get the Pocket 4k,

Reasons: Larger FOV with speedbooster (1.3 crop vs 1.6), ability to shoot 4k with no crop(don't want 6k all the time). 

So it depends on the person. The Pocket 6k has better color science, higher resolution, more dynamic range. Big downsides for me is you can't shoot non cropped 4k RAW and of course no prores 6k(not as big of deal), worse internal battery life(if you'll use internal batteries), EF mount (could be good or bad?). 

If you don't make a ton of your camera purchases the Pocket 4k could save you 1k that could go to rigging it out (or buying food to live lol)

13 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I'd get the Pocket 4k,

Reasons: Larger FOV with speedbooster (1.3 crop vs 1.6), ability to shoot 4k with no crop(don't want 6k all the time). 

So it depends on the person. The Pocket 6k has better color science, higher resolution, more dynamic range. Big downsides for me is you can't shoot non cropped 4k RAW and of course no prores 6k(not as big of deal), worse internal battery life(if you'll use internal batteries), EF mount (could be good or bad?). 

If you don't make a ton of your camera purchases the Pocket 4k could save you 1k that could go to rigging it out (or buying food to live lol)

Good writeup.

I've been tempted to upgrade my P4K to P6K many times.  But, I always stop when I see that the P6K can't do 4K/120 although I dig that its anamorphic has more resolution than the P4K.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:48 PM, Palanza87 said:

So having shot with the bmpcc4k now for most of 2019 figured I'd share a finished video if anyone is thinking about doing wedding work with one. 

pretty couple, awesome video,  nice staging if thats whats its called and the lacquer on that door is incredible. I want one , actually i want both doors 😀

Pocket 4K is an incredible value. That being said, the pocket 6k can be a worthwhile upgrade - it was for me.

The increased amount of detail (more than double the pixels) is not trivial. If you have a 5K monitor you can see the difference; the pocket 4K looks soft and slightly out of focus in comparison. 

The low light is also noticeably better. The larger sensor helps, but 6K downscaled to 4K really reduces noise and gives you a much cleaner image. You can get a Speedbooster for the 4K, but that brings the price close to the 6K.

Of course, some complain about the lens mount, but I haven’t found it an issue considering the availability, range, and variety of EF (and EF-S) lenses from various manufacturers.

I’ve found the Canon 10-18mm and 18-135mm nano usm to be great lightweight, affordable, stabilized lenses. For fast and wide, the sigma 20mm 1.4 has been stellar.

1 hour ago, independent said:

Pocket 4K is an incredible value. That being said, the pocket 6k can be a worthwhile upgrade - it was for me.

The increased amount of detail (more than double the pixels) is not trivial. If you have a 5K monitor you can see the difference; the pocket 4K looks soft and slightly out of focus in comparison. 

The low light is also noticeably better. The larger sensor helps, but 6K downscaled to 4K really reduces noise and gives you a much cleaner image. You can get a Speedbooster for the 4K, but that brings the price close to the 6K.

Of course, some complain about the lens mount, but I haven’t found it an issue considering the availability, range, and variety of EF (and EF-S) lenses from various manufacturers.

I’ve found the Canon 10-18mm and 18-135mm nano usm to be great lightweight, affordable, stabilized lenses. For fast and wide, the sigma 20mm 1.4 has been stellar.

The Pocket 6k does give a better image. However a speedbooster can be had for $200 which is still much less than the Pocket 6k with wider field of view and the option to do 4k RAW without having to crop in on the sensor. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I was debating between the two but ended up with the URSA mini 

So I read back in October that the BMPCC 4k added at 2.6k crop mode that "suitable for Super 16mm lenses" according to cinema5D. Has anyone used this? Is it a proper s16 crop or something fairly close? With a tax return coming, I'm thinking of upgrading from the BMMCC, which I'm using with my beloved vintage c-mount lenses, and I don't want to buy more lenses to cover the full sensor). I'm curious to hear from anyone who has had both the Micro and P4K. I'm thinking of going for the P4K for the low light and higher res (2.6K also seems optimal for going higher res but not as high as 4K, to save card/drive space and possibly use the same cards from the Micro. I've seen people online able to get 12:1 raw on the 95mbps Extreme Pros). The Micro has a wonderful image most of the time, but some things that bother me about it.

• Super Members
45 minutes ago, Matt Kieley said:

So I read back in October that the BMPCC 4k added at 2.6k crop mode that "suitable for Super 16mm lenses" according to cinema5D. Has anyone used this? Is it a proper s16 crop or something fairly close? 

I did a comparison of it a few pages back with the OG BMPCC sensor coverage wise.

Its close enough for jazz.

46 minutes ago, Matt Kieley said:

So I read back in October that the BMPCC 4k added at 2.6k crop mode that "suitable for Super 16mm lenses" according to cinema5D. Has anyone used this? Is it a proper s16 crop or something fairly close? With a tax return coming, I'm thinking of upgrading from the BMMCC, which I'm using with my beloved vintage c-mount lenses, and I don't want to buy more lenses to cover the full sensor). I'm curious to hear from anyone who has had both the Micro and P4K. I'm thinking of going for the P4K for the low light and higher res (2.6K also seems optimal for going higher res but not as high as 4K, to save card/drive space and possibly use the same cards from the Micro. I've seen people online able to get 12:1 raw on the 95mbps Extreme Pros). The Micro has a wonderful image most of the time, but some things that bother me about it.

I asked a similar question a few pages back. It seems the crop is a little more than the Micro... I think a 3x crop... so it's closer to 16mm... which opens up some possible c-mount 2/3" zoom lenses. That 2.6K resolution interests me a lot as well... downscaled to 2K, it could really have that "Alexa look."

On 3/4/2020 at 8:52 PM, mercer said:

I asked a similar question a few pages back. It seems the crop is a little more than the Micro... I think a 3x crop... so it's closer to 16mm... which opens up some possible c-mount 2/3" zoom lenses. That 2.6K resolution interests me a lot as well... downscaled to 2K, it could really have that "Alexa look."

Pardon if this was discussed elsewhere, but which c-mount lenses are your favorite with BM? I'm curious to give the 2.6k a try.