Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

1 hour ago, matthere said:

Hi @christrad I read a post on BMD's forum yesterday..

POST...

"My camera update went til 70%, once there all the usb devices disconnected and windows showed a "can't recognize the usb device" it was stuck and it wouldn't show any activity. Now, the camera doesn't power on and the front recording led is blinkg in white. ¿Is there any way to reset the camera? or it is a brick now

EDIT: I sent a mail to BM support and they answered right away with the solution: copy of the response, in case anyone needs it:

Confirm that the camera is still connected via USB, switch the power to OFF then back ON.
Immediately after powering ON, hold down the Focus Button (the one with the crosshairs) for about 10 seconds.
This should put the camera into recovery mode and allow it to show up in the software and allow you to run the update again.

POST END

Hope this helps, otherwise contact BMD yourself :)

Thank you so much for your quick answer! I'm not at home right now but soon I'm back, i'll try the focus Button trick and let you know... 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, matthere said:

POST...

"My camera update went til 70%, once there all the usb devices disconnected and windows showed a "can't recognize the usb device" it was stuck and it wouldn't show any activity. My

My update was stucked at 70% too and sounded disconnected (nearly heart stroke) but I didn't touched that and after 5 minutes it completed successfully update.

3 hours ago, wyrlyn said:

How does the Pana 12-60 lens stab work on BMPCC 4K when there is no IS button on the lens itself?

Have this lens. Image stabilization works very well. It's controlled by the camera and by default is ON. You can turn it off in the menu (Setup).  Am sure was mentioned before but IS on BMPCC 4K works only when you start recording if you are using the internal battery. Obviously this is made to preserve the battery which doesn't last long. If you use external battery IS works all the time before recording and during recording. 

During firmware upgrade was also stuck at 70% but after some time camera said upgrade finished and it works OK. That was my second try. First try disconnected by accident the USB cable. But after re connection was able to start upgrade from scratch and finish it successfully. So in my understanding firmware upgrade is well thought out.

But new firmware 6.6 broke (again) Viltrox speed booster functionality. Aperture and  IS don't work with Viltrox firmware version 2.3 neither with version 3.3.☹️ 

2 hours ago, stephen said:

Have this lens. Image stabilization works very well. It's controlled by the camera and by default is ON. You can turn it off in the menu (Setup).  Am sure was mentioned before but IS on BMPCC 4K works only when you start recording if you are using the internal battery. Obviously this is made to preserve the battery which doesn't last long. If you use external battery IS works all the time before recording and during recording. 

During firmware upgrade was also stuck at 70% but after some time camera said upgrade finished and it works OK. That was my second try. First try disconnected by accident the USB cable. But after re connection was able to start upgrade from scratch and finish it successfully. So in my understanding firmware upgrade is well thought out.

But new firmware 6.6 broke (again) Viltrox speed booster functionality. Aperture and  IS don't work with Viltrox firmware version 2.3 neither with version 3.3.☹️ 

Good to know about the Viltrox issue. I am not upgrading yet, then!

7 hours ago, stephen said:

Just FYI, the firmware seems to work just fine with my Metabones 0.71x.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:03 PM, matthere said:

POST...

"My camera update went til 70%, once there all the usb devices disconnected and windows showed a "can't recognize the usb device" it was stuck and it wouldn't show any activity. Now, the camera doesn't power on and the front recording led is blinkg in white. ¿Is there any way to reset the camera? or it is a brick now

EDIT: I sent a mail to BM support and they answered right away with the solution: copy of the response, in case anyone needs it:

Confirm that the camera is still connected via USB, switch the power to OFF then back ON.
Immediately after powering ON, hold down the Focus Button (the one with the crosshairs) for about 10 seconds.
This should put the camera into recovery mode and allow it to show up in the software and allow you to run the update again."

POST END

Hope this helps, otherwise contact BMD yourself :)

Matthere thank you so much, the focus button trick worked very well for me! Now my dear pocket 4k is fully working with the newfirmware! Love this forum, love my pocket 4k. Big thanks again matthere!

Thats a super impressive update. 

Been very impressed with the BMP4K.  I am still shooting at 1080p 60fps with it.(Quick workflow) I think it's the best bang for the buck at the price.

I am still trying to work out it's sweet spot. But I think its between 400-640 iso. Thats where I have had the best results. This update pumps some more sellby date into this cam. 

On 10/28/2019 at 11:58 AM, Dunjoye said:

Thats a super impressive update. 

Been very impressed with the BMP4K.  I am still shooting at 1080p 60fps with it.(Quick workflow) I think it's the best bang for the buck at the price.

I am still trying to work out it's sweet spot. But I think its between 400-640 iso. Thats where I have had the best results. This update pumps some more sellby date into this cam. 

Just a quick thought on this. I think you may find that shooting in 4k in Braw 5Q for 1080 delivery is the sweetspot.

It's an optimum workflow in that the files sizes are very small for both acquisition and working in post/Resolve.

Downresing to 1080 in Resolve will give you the best HD image and you don't have to worry about iso because all of that can be adjusted in post shooting Braw.

It's really liberating to focus on the creative knowing that you have the control to optimize everything from iso and exposure to white balance after the fact. Just shoot with a viewing LUT so you know you're getting what you want in real time and it comes together really quickly in color and edit.

5 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

Just a quick thought on this. I think you may find that shooting in 4k in Braw 5Q for 1080 delivery is the sweetspot.

It's an optimum workflow in that the files sizes are very small for both acquisition and working in post/Resolve.

Downresing to 1080 in Resolve will give you the best HD image and you don't have to worry about iso because all of that can be adjusted in post shooting Braw.

It's really liberating to focus on the creative knowing that you have the control to optimize everything from iso and exposure to white balance after the fact. Just shoot with a viewing LUT so you know you're getting what you want in real time and it comes together really quickly in color and edit.

It may seem a bit counter intuitive to some, but I think that having a pro feature like BRAW recording at this price point actually makes the camera more accessible. Now less skilled people can produce much better content. With traditional codecs, the videographer needs to worry about getting the exposure correct, the white balance accurate, etc. With BRAW, many of those things are less important to get completely right on location. You simply have to be somewhat close and then we can adjust in post to get nice images. I was out of town earlier this week and my wife was able to film something by herself and the footage turned out nice. (She is a great editor, but she sucks as a camera operator.) Normally, I would have done a FaceTime call to walk through all of the exposure, white balance, and other settings. Despite our having walked through the setup a dozen or more times, I still get the "I can't figure this out" call most times.  In this case, she was able to cover the shoot unaided, thanks to BRAW. It is almost like having auto settings on a camera that actually work :)

3 hours ago, drm said:

It may seem a bit counter intuitive to some, but I think that having a pro feature like BRAW recording at this price point actually makes the camera more accessible. Now less skilled people can produce much better content. With traditional codecs, the videographer needs to worry about getting the exposure correct, the white balance accurate, etc. With BRAW, many of those things are less important to get completely right on location. You simply have to be somewhat close and then we can adjust in post to get nice images. I was out of town earlier this week and my wife was able to film something by herself and the footage turned out nice. (She is a great editor, but she sucks as a camera operator.) Normally, I would have done a FaceTime call to walk through all of the exposure, white balance, and other settings. Despite our having walked through the setup a dozen or more times, I still get the "I can't figure this out" call most times.  In this case, she was able to cover the shoot unaided, thanks to BRAW. It is almost like having auto settings on a camera that actually work :)

There is definitely a very practical side to RAW. 

11 hours ago, drm said:

?The camera is still not idiot proof with these benefits. Had a friend working as my camera OP, and I kept reviewing each shots and adjusting the camera for him.  Still requires a bit of a skill 

17 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

Interesting, I havent actually used raw. Just Pro-res 422 HQ. That's why I mentioned the iso. The 1080 I shot recently is just as good as the 4K to the eye. I will eventually start toying BRAW. I i am a straight to FCPX type of shooter. Preference of UI over davinci 

9 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its too bad you can't do BRAW 1080 without cropping

Why wouldn’t you just downscale 4K though? I guess I’m in the mind that if I’m shooting RAW I want the biggest image available in terms of resolution. Otherwise what’s the point? 

Kinda like being upset you can’t drive a Ferrari down an unpaved foot path,

7 hours ago, IncriminatingPictures said:

Why wouldn’t you just downscale 4K though? I guess I’m in the mind that if I’m shooting RAW I want the biggest image available in terms of resolution. Otherwise what’s the point? 

Kinda like being upset you can’t drive a Ferrari down an unpaved foot path,

Easier to edit 1080p and I really dislike having to downscale stuff simply for the sake of editing as its just another step. I never really rescale stuff and output in 1080p regardless. Color is more my concern than resolution.