Panasonic GH6

kye

I think it's time for a GH6 rumours thread.

There were a flurry of rumours in early 2015, including talk of 8K video and people were anticipating potential release dates.  The New Camera made this handy-dandy diagram:

Panasonic-camera-list.jpg

They also made a couple of predictions about a couple of different possibilities on how it might happen:

Possibility #1

• GH1 – 2009
  • GH2 – 2010
  • GH3 – 2012
  • GH4 – 2014
  • GH5 – 2016 – 4K
  • GH6 – 2018 – 6K
  • GH7 – 2020 – 8K

Possibility #2

• GH1 – 2009
  • GH2 – 2010
  • GH3 – 2012
  • GH4 – 2014
  • GH5 – 2016 – 4K
  • GH6 – 2018 – 8K (development announcement on Photokina)
  • GH6 – 2019 – 8K (official announcement)

There's also lots more stuff in there too - http://thenewcamera.com/tag/panasonic-gh6/

We know that The GH5 got 5K video in a firmware update in late 2017, and with all the talk about 8K for the 2020 Olympics, the GH6 might be 8K.  The GH5 5K mode also got H265 encoding, which due to its increased efficiency, is probably a requirement for decent 8K video.

In May 2018 Personal View leaked this: https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/19798/panasonic-gh6-first-rumors

Rumors I heard so far from various sources:

• Panasonic wants to add 8K support, most probably at 24p only
  • m43 sensor can be first present only at GH6 presentation time and will be exclusive for 1-2 years
  • 8K support can be interpolated (from around 6.5-7K), but can be true 8K, depends on sensor version Sony chooses
  • Next focus will be improving high frame rates
  • AF will be kept at same level, slightly faster, just with more options
  • Will use this EVF - https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/19797/meet-first-gh6-part-1600x1200-resolution-oled-evf#Item_1
  • GH6 can be first camera with AI and cloud based features with monthly cost
  • Other features can be possible to be enabled permanently, but paid, similar to V-LOG license
  • Panasonic also wants to account for big currency fluctuations
  • So, price will rise compared to GH5, but it can be GH6V (value edition) with 8K and other features disabled that you can buy later
  • GH lineup, after one year of introduction, will be 3 cameras - GH6V, GH6 and GH6X (top one, similar to mix of G9 and GH5S)
  • First announcement round will be Photokina 2018 and spring Photokina 2019 or CP++ will be release time

Then during the S1 announcements, a Panasonic rep made comments that indicated that video would continue to be lead by their GH line of cameras (I can't find the link) which helped to firm up the idea of a GH6 rather than abandoning MFT for FF, yet at least.

What do you predict?  What do you want?  Do you care?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Panasonic is waiting to start selling a few hundred thousand S1 cameras, before any GH6 announcements, since the next GH Camera would eat everyone's breakfast, in the video department. So there will be a deafening silence on the GH front until the S1 has sold in a fee truckloads. I am guessing the GH6 will redefining video quality and features on an ILC just like the GH5 did 3 years ago.

I'd be surprised if the GH6 isn't announced by early next year. I think the S1 factors very little in Panasonic's GH plans. I'm guessing we won't see a video focused full frame camera announced from Panasonic until mid to late 2020 at the earliest. 

The GH line is their bread and butter right now, as it should be. It'd make no sense for them to prioritize the S series over the GH series until there's reason to. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

What is far more overdue than a GH5 successor, is where the bloody hell is the G85 successor???????????? 

51 minutes ago, anonim said:

Price of GH5 at autumn 2019 :)

....or the G9 recently (with all the discounting and cashbacks over the Dec/Jan period we had in UK at least).

I suspect putting 4k60p in a G85 body size is a problem due to heat issues, and if it happened it would have a similar (short) time limit like the G9 has in 4k60

4 hours ago, Inazuma said:

GH line is dead in the water if they don't introduce more marketable features, such as good AF, better low light. 

IDK, the newest firmware on the S1/R looks like it was doing a respectable job with AF. The earlier firmware seemed good a drawing boxes around people and things... but those boxes didn't always translate into sharp focus. Firmware version 0.6 would seem to address this issue from the limited footage I have seen. Still, we need to see how it does under backlite conditions and in low-light. It's looking promising though. That said is it  better than the competition? I don't think so. Sony's latest AF seems amazing and we all know Canon has AF nailed down pretty well. Soon enough AF alone will not be a major factor. For all it seems to bring on paper, I need to be blown away to want to invest the $10k or so to get onboard with a whole new system. And before adopting a completely new system I have to have confidence in it. At this point it's a tough sell... for me anyway. 

The GH6 is a different story. It builds of the success on the GH4 and GH5/S... All were/are great cameras. Good imagery, battery life, ergonomics, menus etc... But just making usable AF and better low-light doesn't seem to cut it today. The EOS R has the ND adapter... That's a step in the right direction. Panasonic could easily trump all other cameras on the market IF... and it's a big IF... they would finally put that dam organic sensor in a GH body... or the S1 for that matter... had they done that I would have preorder the S1 on announcement... bleeding edge and all. If it makes it into the GH6 then that would be a game changer for many conditions. True HDR video with no need for NDs. But many seem to feel that Panasonic will not do this. But if they don't, I cannot imagine what breakthrough technology they will add to make the GH6 more compelling than it's APSC counterparts?

29 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I'm predicted 4k 120 fps and RAW recording in a GH5s type sensor with IBIS and new AI focus system. To me that is the minimum. If they add some type of internal NDs to that you'd have a perfect run and gun camera, I'm not counting on it though. They'd need to improve on the battery system too.

I feel like ProRes Raw is a given externally. But internal raw is just not in the cards imo. Panasonic seem pretty committed to Contrast Detect AF; supplementing it with AI to make up for any deficiencies. Honestly, it might well prove to be successful.