Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

39 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I do not know for sure, but there are obvious differences around the much bigger EF mount.

At least one dimension is bigger (width), and I would guess the bigger sensor and larger body surface increases the weight too.

I am only guessing of course.

Tottaly right.

Increased width and weight are only physical differences.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, nathlas said:

Tottaly right.

Increased width and weight are only physical differences.

As I already own the Ronin S, I am wondering if those differences can create any balancing issues.

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I do not know for sure, but there are obvious differences around the much bigger EF mount.

At least one dimension is bigger (width), and I would guess the bigger sensor and larger body surface increases the weight too.

I am only guessing of course.

It does seem a bit odd to me, but the Blackmagic site lists the dimensions for *both* cameras to be the exact same:

7" wide x 4" deep x 3.8" tall

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/techspecs/W-CIN-15

The weights are:

P6K: 1.98 lbs

P4K: 1.59 lbs

It’s probably a stupid question, and I’m missing something, but what's the advantage of an in camera crop to s16 over using the whole sensor and cropping in post? 

Couldn't they just add s16 frame lines to help you get your shot and then you can adjust it later. That way it's the same advantage as shooting 6k for 4k delivery... right?

Or even better, allow the s16 frame to fill the camera monitor, but the actual file has the full 4k image, vignette and all.

If you are shooting with s16 lenses then it speeds the whole process to have the files as you will be using them and not having to do a crop on every take.

Reduced file size would offer lower compression rates on slower media or longer record times at same compression rate.

Its much easier to implement a crop for BM than changing things in the display as well to do scaling etc.

I haven't checked the details but does the crop offer higher frame rates too?

2 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Plus lenses for s16 could be more affordable or you get more for your money. You may be able to pick up an old cinematic zoom for less than a couple k.

Yeah, my thought process was, you can already do that and always could, just crop in post. But as been pointed out, this new in camera crop will save space and time, and we definitely need to do that with the way the world's looking these days.

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

So, with all of the P6K hype, I missed what the P4K updates are. It seems there is an Anamorphic Mode and a 4K S16 Crop Mode? Anything else?

Yes. There’s a new “Do the work” mode, where you grab your camera and go shoot something. I haven’t tried it yet but eventually I will, once I get the right lens.

@mercer Here's everything Grant mentioned regarding the P4K update

v6.6 expected 'in a month or two'.

1. Many more HUD languages

2. One screen level, using built in gyrochip.

3. Gimbal support to allow start stop and focus on popular gimbals. (No mention of what those are)

4. 4k 2.4:1 - s16 - 1.33x anamorphic desqueeze & 16x9 preview - 4:3 anamorphic 2x desqueeze preview

5. Hopefully a few other little surprises

10 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Yes. There’s a new “Do the work” mode, where you grab your camera and go shoot something. I haven’t tried it yet but eventually I will, once I get the right lens.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, sometimes a new lens can make all the difference or sometimes an Ursa, a GH5, a BMPCC 4K or maybe the P6K will “do the work?”

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

@mercer Here's everything Grant mentioned regarding the P4K update

v6.6 expected 'in a month or two'.

1. Many more HUD languages

2. One screen level, using built in gyrochip.

3. Gimbal support to allow start stop and focus on popular gimbals. (No mention of what those are)

4. 4k 2.4:1 - s16 - 1.33x anamorphic desqueeze & 16x9 preview - 4:3 anamorphic 2x desqueeze preview

5. Hopefully a few other little surprises

Thanks for the summary. I hope BM is able to fix any outstanding P4K bugs as well.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:01 PM, mercer said:

Don’t be too hard on yourself, sometimes a new lens can make all the difference or sometimes an Ursa, a GH5, a BMPCC 4K or maybe the P6K will “do the work?”

Don't forget to add the boring filter.

On 7/7/2019 at 11:30 PM, Snowfun said:

Damn. I might be one of them. Is it the same as the 180 degree rule? 

Well if you ever worked on drama, sport or such, it's when left to right, becomes right to left for the punter watching at home. Don't fret because some of the best actors I've worked with didn't know what we were on about until they were well into their careers. So many times a stagehand would say "line cross" and we'd have to do another take because of continuity. Thank god for switched on stagies.

I did a little reading on the reduser forums and people there believe that P6K upsets more P4K owners than anyone else.

The possibility of having a 6K sensor is great, but in reality it can be a burden for budget and feature consious users which P4K owners are (so many features for so little money!).

What do P4K owners think? Do they have to update? Do they need to? What's your impression now that P6K are already available while some people are still waiting for their backordered P4Ks?