Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
22 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

I'm looking for a portrait lens to complement the Voigtlander 17.5mm.  Is this lens a good choice?

It certainly held its own against the far more expensive Contax Zeiss 85mm f1.4 in my side by side.

@BTM_Pix : thanks for the tip ! So it should work, the Internet was confusing me, some Internet pages suggest it does not work straight from BNC timecode out to 3.5mm audio/timecode in. Some seem to pass via a standalone sync device, but that would make things impossible for me.

I will try to test before end of the week and report back.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, MeanRevert said:

Sounds great. What adapter did you use?

That test was on a Leica SL so it was just a dumb SL to EF adapter and then a C/Y adapter.

Same story for Pocket 4K but you have the added option of using a Speedbooster.

3 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

I'm looking for a portrait lens to complement the Voigtlander 17.5mm. Is this lens a good choice?

Are we talking about a lens for video, stills photography or both?

I´ve been using the Rokinon for video only and was never disappointed. Like most of the Rokinons/Samyangs they can be a little soft wide open, but @2.8 you get the best of both worlds. Sharp and detailled Images with smooth bokeh.

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Are we talking about a lens for video, stills photography or both?

I´ve been using the Rokinon for video only and was never disappointed. Like most of the Rokinons/Samyangs they can be a little soft wide open, but @2.8 you get the best of both worlds. Sharp and detailled Images with smooth bokeh.

Hmm. thanks for the update.  After seeing this video, it does look pretty soft wide open.  

1 hour ago, MeanRevert said:

Hmm. thanks for the update.  After seeing this video, it does look pretty soft wide open.  

So is the Voigt 17.5mm!

Considering you own the Voigt, it might be useful to shoot a test scene at various apertures and then take the wide-open shots and try to add sharpening in post to match the shots from the sharper apertures.  You might surprise yourself by how well you can match things, in which case it doesn't matter if they're a little soft.  It would matter even less if you're shooting in the 5K mode, or delivering in 1080p.

7 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

That´s true, it is soft though I didn´t experience this level of diffusion with mine. Still, I don´t really use it wide open @t1.5.

But @t2 it´s really usable and @t2.8 it´s an awesome lens. 

This Clip was filmed @t2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq33mWaJyuk

Sorry guys to bump in, but what is the best lpE6 canon battery alternative for the pocket 4K? Looking to buy some new lpe6 batteries, but the canon ones are quite expensive. So I have read in the thread ravpower, jupo,... but which is currently the best lpe6 battery with the longest lifespan? Also gonna buy a double or triple charger. 

thx

17 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Sorry guys to bump in, but what is the best lpE6 canon battery alternative for the pocket 4K? Looking to buy some new lpe6 batteries, but the canon ones are quite expensive. So I have read in the thread ravpower, jupo,... but which is currently the best lpe6 battery with the longest lifespan? Also gonna buy a double or triple charger. 

thx

Don't waste your time with LPE6 batteries, Canon or otherwise. 20 minute run-time just isn't worth the hassle, nor the embarrassment. Get some Sony NP-F970 clones and one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Decoded-LP-E6-Dummy-Battery-NP-F970-770-Mount-Plate-Adapter-for-Canon-TK/202760180667?hash=item2f3572d3bb:g:HV4AAOSwvpVci7MT

You can mount it to the 1/4" hole on top of the P4K, or onto a shoulder rig with a rail mount like I do. You'll get 1.5 to 2 hours run-time per battery, and they cost about the same as a Canon clone.

1 hour ago, The ghost of squig said:

20 minute run-time just isn't worth the hassle

I have found and read others experiencing 45-50 minutes. Still not great but better than 20. For some, like myself, more LPE6 is less a hassle than the extra attachments. Yours truly is a good solution though, just not for everyone. 

8 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I have found and read others experiencing 45-50 minutes. Still not great but better than 20. For some, like myself, more LPE6 is less a hassle than the extra attachments. Yours truly is a good solution though, just not for everyone. 

The other problem is you can never be sure when the battery is going to conk out, that goes for LPE6 and external batteries; the battery metering is not to be trusted.

20 minutes ago, The ghost of squig said:

The other problem is you can never be sure when the battery is going to conk out, that goes for LPE6 and external batteries; the battery metering is not to be trusted.

I think newer firmware has addressed though, but still good to know. Regardless, some like myself would prefer the LPE6.

19 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I think newer firmware has addressed though, but still good to know. Regardless, some like myself would prefer the LPE6.

If you want to be sure the camera shuts down in the middle of a shot, the LPE6 is definitely the way to go. And for the record I've been using genuine LPE6 batteries with the new firmware.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:47 AM, Yannick Willox said:

OK, so I finally have the Pocket 4K !

I also have a Zoom F8, which outputs timecode on a BNC. I have some cable/converters into 3.5 mm stereo jack, but I cannot get my p4k to sync up. 

Does anyone know if a direct connection is possible ? It would be great to record "playback" video shots on pr-edited audio tracks. I want to start playback of the audio clips on my Zoom, which would output the correct timecode, and all my shots would be in sync.

Hi Yannick,

I do this all the time with my F8n, on multiple P4Ks & P6K. Just plug your BNC cable into the BNC out on the Zoom F8(n) and plug in to the P4K mic input. You will instantly see your timecode sync. Let me know if you have trouble and I can walk you through the steps.

IMG_5194.jpg

13 hours ago, The ghost of squig said:

Don't waste your time with LPE6 batteries, Canon or otherwise. 20 minute run-time just isn't worth the hassle, nor the embarrassment. 

When recording internally (in my case on sd card) and having the screen brightness around 50% I get about 40m  ‘on time’.

16 minutes ago, dslnc said:

When recording internally (in my case on sd card) and having the screen brightness around 50% I get about 40m  ‘on time’.

same here roughly 40 mins however i did bump up the display to 100% yesterday in the afternoon sun  for about 10 minutes. no idea if the battery meter went down any faster i wasn't watching that