Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, leslie said:

hey i'm left handed, you make being left handed sound like an impediment :blush: you should definitely rush out and buy a bmp4k now, it will improve your dexterity !!. Besides that, there is plenty of great footage shot with other cameras and i reckon there will plenty more great footage shot on other cameras. i'm not trying to sell bm cameras because well, there's no commission in it for me.  i do however like stirring the pot every now and then, don't take too much of what i say seriously. If your making birdie movies would not the 2x crop on the p4k get you closer to the action ? i know where your coming from my fitness level sucks as well. I caught some rare bug three years ago which took alot of the fun out of everything, but there are people out there doing it tougher than me so im not complaining.  i think the battery life is ok, certainly not spectacular. I tend to turn it off after i take a shot. it fires up in less then five seconds. maybe if i went to a carnival or a zoo i'd want another battery  or maybe another solution perhaps still considering,  but like anything, you have to work within the limits of what you have got.

 Well for the time being I am mostly going to be shooting stills with my Nikon D2Xs and the Sigma 150-500mm, Tamron 80-400mm, and a Nikon 18-105mm. It  doesn't have video at all, so one less thing to worry about lol. My iPhone sure won't work that is for sure for birding.. Just about tapped out on money at the moment. Looking to rent or buy something cheap down here to live in. So toys sort of out of the question for a bit. Hard  packing up everything in your life and moving at my age. But new adventures good or bad ahead. At least it is not boring, which it had become.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, anonim said:

It might be a nice occasion to compare results of two generations of BM cameras from the same master's DP signature. For me, very hard to judge...

 

Not that the P4K looks bad, but these sharpening halos (easiliy visible in the thumbnail around the jacket even) make the P4K look way less organic than the original BMCC.

Was shot in either ProRes or Braw. Cdng doesn't show any of these internal processing issues when sharpening in Resolve is set to 0. Still wondering why BMD joined Panasonic, Sony, Canon (since EOS R) etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah they turned a unique, pure  look into a mainstream look. Crazy long term plan to me? What, is every camera suppose to look like a Canon? It is nice for wedding, portrait stuff, but for filming shorts, indie stuff, nah. That stuff is suppose to have a bite to it, gritty,  right in your face stuff. Not Marie Osmond looking. And that is what to me the PK4 looks like. Pure as the driven snow. WTF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, deezid said:

Not that the P4K looks bad, but these sharpening halos (easiliy visible in the thumbnail around the jacket even) make the P4K look way less organic than the original BMCC.

Was shot in either ProRes or Braw. Cdng doesn't show any of these internal processing issues when sharpening in Resolve is set to 0. Still wondering why BMD joined Panasonic, Sony, Canon (since EOS R) etc...

You sure its not processing rather than the codec itself? 

 

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah they turned a unique, pure  look into a mainstream look. Crazy long term plan to me?

I don't know man 4k RAW at 1k is not a bad plan to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I don't know man 4k RAW at 1k is not a bad plan to me.

Doesn't seem like may have a clue how to grade it. I will say it looks nicer than ProRes out of the PK4. Maybe people are just going to have to learn it better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Doesn't seem like may have a clue how to grade it. I will say it looks nicer than ProRes out of the PK4. Maybe people are just going to have to learn it better.

True but that goes for pretty much any camera. Most cameras are offering log now and people think that is the way to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

True but that goes for pretty much any camera. Most cameras are offering log now and people think that is the way to go. 

Yeah nobody said video is easy. The big problem is it is Very hard to go out and be good at every aspect of video. My main beef is if the audio sucks in the first 20 seconds I am not watching another frame, good or bad. So what good is an Arri Alexa if you don't know shit about Microphones. I can live with goofy video longer than crappy audio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, deezid said:

Not that the P4K looks bad, but these sharpening halos (easiliy visible in the thumbnail around the jacket even) make the P4K look way less organic than the original BMCC.

Was shot in either ProRes or Braw. Cdng doesn't show any of these internal processing issues when sharpening in Resolve is set to 0. Still wondering why BMD joined Panasonic, Sony, Canon (since EOS R) etc...

I don't see any 'sharpening halos' on this video or my own BRAW footage - can you post some samples to show this please?

6 hours ago, anonim said:

It might be a nice occasion to compare results of two generations of BM cameras from the same master's DP signature. For me, very hard to judge...

 

What's with the cyan cast on the 2nd video?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shirozina said:

I don't see any 'sharpening halos' on this video or my own BRAW footage - can you post some samples to show this please?

What's with the cyan cast on the 2nd video?

Yeah, I really don't care for the grading on the 2nd video personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, anonim said:

It might be a nice occasion to compare results of two generations of BM cameras from the same master's DP signature. For me, very hard to judge...

 

Great...

How did he put the MK lenses on the P4K?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, anonim said:

Maybe beta tester for https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1436743-REG/fujinon_mk18_55mm_t2_9_m4_3_mk_18_55mm_t2_9_lens.html

Although Filippo Chiesa earlier wrote that conversion was two minutes task to acomplish... 

Whaaaaat??!!!!

I totally missed this type of info.

"The Fujinon MK18-55mm T2.9 Lens is a lightweight cine-style zoom lens for MFT mount cameras with a Super 35mm-sized sensor."

What that even means??!! The only MFT S35 camera is the JVC LS300..

I am in the process of ordering the EF Samyangs anyway, the 24/35/50/85 kit + the 16mm = 1000less € than the MK 18-55, which admittedly is a better solution..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Whaaaaat??!!!!

I totally missed this type of info.

"The Fujinon MK18-55mm T2.9 Lens is a lightweight cine-style zoom lens for MFT mount cameras with a Super 35mm-sized sensor."

What that even means??!! The only MFT S35 camera is the JVC LS300.

Z cam guys & gals are almost ready to introduce a new one these days... ; -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah they turned a unique, pure  look into a mainstream look. Crazy long term plan to me? What, is every camera suppose to look like a Canon? It is nice for wedding, portrait stuff, but for filming shorts, indie stuff, nah. That stuff is suppose to have a bite to it, gritty,  right in your face stuff. Not Marie Osmond looking. And that is what to me the PK4 looks like. Pure as the driven snow. WTF.

Thanks, it seems to me worth noting - exceptional, yet simple formulation of one point of view valuable for rethinking (being it with or without foundation): unquestionable distinctiveness as quality.

I also took a glance to see who is Marie Osmond :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are not happy with .braw, nothing holds you to go back to CinemaDNG. As simple as that. Well, perhaps only double tap for new update features, you'll probably never use anyway, that's all.

You're also comparing 1080p to 4K, that's your beef on your Apples to Oranges approach and you any naysayer(s) tend to ignore or forget that : )

Moreover, there's no SOC ever at big screen. Big boys such as ARRIs and co included. Post is your friend to help you out with any of your mantra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, anonim said:

Thanks, it seems to me worth noting - exceptional, yet simple formulation of one point of view valuable for rethinking (being it with or without foundation): unquestionable distinctiveness as quality.

I also took a glance to see who is Marie Osmond :)

I am glad you are more educated as of now. She is the definition of squeaky clean. Nothing wrong with that but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Doesn't seem like may have a clue how to grade it. I will say it looks nicer than ProRes out of the PK4. Maybe people are just going to have to learn it better.

It looks basically exactly the same lol
Same fringing
same sharpening halos
same noise reduction

 

15 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

You sure its not processing rather than the codec itself? 

Since the ARRI Alexa doesn't have sharpening halos when shooting ProRes, nor my exported ProRes footage does and Braw and ProRes on this camera look exactly the same on the P4K I really don't think so.

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

If you are not happy with .braw, nothing holds you to go back to CinemaDNG. As simple as that. Well, perhaps only double tap for new update features, you'll probably never use anyway, that's all.

Really didn't switch from the GH5 to the P4K for BMD to apply even more noise reduction aka texture reducer than Panasonic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deezid said:

It looks basically exactly the same lol
Same fringing
same sharpening halos
same noise reduction

Again show us this in your footage  as I'm just not seeing it in mine. OK at 600% I can see a bit of color aliasing but apart from that for a 1:1 sampling sensor it's remarkably clean. Resolve can have some unpleasant image display artefacts under some of the user options for playback settings where you can trade playback speed for quality but I guess you know this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...