Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

Hello i have the possibility to get a bpcc4 quick. I never look too much at this camera because of long waiting list and because it seemed a camera that would require too many accessories, so i was going to xt3 or gh5. Now with this chance i need to decide quick. I ask you what do i need to have, other than the camera, to be able to work in a kind of documentary style, run and gun and similar battery,card,rig..what is really needed?

For better understanding: a proper videocamera would be my first choice for quick possibility to operate. But as you know, videocamera would give much less in term of quality image and creativity...but my approach, for my need, would be the one i would have with a proper videocamera (i mean sony a700, panasnic hcx1 and so on..)

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

The waiting list for new orders here is only one week, so stocks around the world will probably be filled soon. No need to rush the decision imo.

here it is not easy,  normally takes weeks, unnambered weeks

I found a place that have  a couple available

Anyway rush or not, those are my doubt when thinking to bmpcc, which looks great for images but less for ease of usability

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stefanocps said:

here it is not easy,  normally takes weeks, unnambered weeks

I found a place that have  a couple available

Anyway rush or not, those are my doubt when thinking to bmpcc, which looks great for images but less for ease of usability

 i have no experience with the previous camera or any video camera actually. The bmp4k is my first video camera. I think you would find that the ui is quite easy to use and navigate around with. I have had it a week or so now and have been a bit sporadic about using it. I have probably flattened the battery twice which is an indication of how much time i have spent with it. I have had the chance to play with again this afternoon and i now begin to know which buttons are where and what they do. it's simply a matter of  using it and familiarizing yourself with it . Resolve on the other hand scares me 😓  and i'm going to have to make a dedicated effort there, but its probably more in my mind than anything. i also have been using a cheap toshiba sd card it will shoot prores hd without issues so if you have some cards already you can probably use them for hd. If you want higher resolution then you would have to spring for faster cards or a samsung t5 ssd. For run and gun or rigging i cant help you there no experience whatsoever. searching eoshd will help you no doubt.  There is a thread for bmp4k power solutions on eoshd.   I don't regret buying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, drm said:

The Viltrox adapter doesn't currently allow AF with any lens, including the Sigma 18-35. Although, perhaps they will add it via firmware update like Metabones just did.

The 12-35 f/2.8 is a great lens. I have a couple of them. But, the Sigma + Speed Booster will be much better in low light. That combo is ~ f/1.2 but has less range. The Sigma combo is roughly ~13-25. The 12-35 has IS and focuses *way* faster than the Sigma, just FYI.

Appreciate the insight.  I think I'll stick with the 12-35mm and run it with a Black Mist Pro Filter to take off some of the hard edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest waiting to see how it performs before judging such a product.  It might be one of those "I thought the normal ones were good, but...." situations.

and in terms of buying another adapter, just go and look at the price of the alternative RAW shooting cameras - that should calm you down a little :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, drm said:

But, the Sigma + Speed Booster will be much better in low light. That combo is ~ f/1.2 but has less range. The Sigma combo is roughly ~13-25.

Isn't it focal length X sensor crop factor X speedbooster's crop factor? It should be smthing like 23-45mm for the Ultra.

For run and gun the 12-100mm Olympus is unbeatable. A true workhorse lens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot a bit more using braw these last days. I still have mixed feelings for it. I like the shadow roll off better in braw. I always thought the shadows were too crushed in cdng. I also like the choice of color space (don't know why you can't chose rec2020 with cdng for instance...), it gives me better colors, a less aggressiv red especially. But the two main caviats are the possible increase of moire and I recently noticed some minor macro blocking noise. The noise in braw is less pleasant, sadly. And that's a big deal (at least to me), it is what differs raw from compressed codec footage. That's the whole point of having raw. I know, in the end it's not crucial, but still... I think calling braw a raw format is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong, the image is still gorgeous, it is better than any mirrorless camera and I can still add noise/grain in post. I also like the braw control panel.

It's such a pity they had to remove cdng, and we can't have both on the same firmware. Also when you shoot with Constant Quality, the estimated time left on the card varies widely from a take to another ! It started with 38 min available. I shot one take, it gave me 56 min ! And then another one, then I got 28 min left ! hehe

I'll give braw one more chance before rolling back to firmware 6.1 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stefanocps said:

Hello i have the possibility to get a bpcc4 quick. I never look too much at this camera because of long waiting list and because it seemed a camera that would require too many accessories, so i was going to xt3 or gh5. Now with this chance i need to decide quick. I ask you what do i need to have, other than the camera, to be able to work in a kind of documentary style, run and gun and similar battery,card,rig..what is really needed?

For better understanding: a proper videocamera would be my first choice for quick possibility to operate. But as you know, videocamera would give much less in term of quality image and creativity...but my approach, for my need, would be the one i would have with a proper videocamera (i mean sony a700, panasnic hcx1 and so on..)

thanks

@stefanocps I have three of the BMPCC4K cameras and have used them extensively. You need two main things:

  1. Power: either lots of LPE6 batteries or an external v-mount or Sony style NP battery with sled.
  2. Storage: very fast SD cards, expensive CFast cards, or a Samsung T5 type drive.

I also suggest that you get a cage to mount accessories (but this isn't required). I use the Smallrig and it works well.

Best of luck on your purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Isn't it focal length X sensor crop factor X speedbooster's crop factor? It should be smthing like 23-45mm for the Ultra.

For run and gun the 12-100mm Olympus is unbeatable. A true workhorse lens.

I love the Olympus 12-100 f/4. It is on one of my cameras almost always. I would like it even more if I could get that kind of range in a f/2.8, but oh well :)

I was sharing the specs for the 18-35 + Speedbooster in terms equivalent to the Panasonic 12-35 lens, not "full frame" equivalent. A new person might not be familiar with the 35mm equivalent conversion specs. Also, to me, quoting everything in 35mm equivalent specs is just silly when we were only talking about the m4/3 format cameras. It isn't like the video world records most everything in 35mm format (although some of that is changing now). I could see it if everyone converted the different formats to Super 35, but 35mm? That wasn't even really a thing until the Canon 5D Mark II a few years back. Of course, I also think that calling 35mm "full frame" is silly too as there are many cameras (e.g. medium format) that use much larger sensors. So, what are they? "Mega Frame"? :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is there anyone use his/her bm for street "photography" ? Since I don't want to carry another camera, I shoot quite a bit at low shutter angle and just grab still frame from it. The resolution works quite well for me since instagram is my main publishing platform

https://www.instagram.com/harrykise/

 

1688286383_tempImageForSave(1).thumb.jpg.0317a0da5dc10009ba6f227015dd1305.jpgtempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.0bf2e80fe59fc5f2b6c5068c27f3b944.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed a bug today with the new firmware update for the Metabones Ultra SB EF. The touch AF is absolutely horrible on the Sigma 18-35mm in BRAW. But, switch it over to any flavor of ProRes and it’s pretty decent. 

Along those same lines, the same lens setup works horribly with the Bluetooth+ app’s manual focus slider in BRAW, but is perfect in ProRes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Onr question about.codec.Are.files produced easy to work with better han those h265 from fuji for example that require very performint pc?also would like to know if i can get ready good footage may be with lut not being that good (yet) in grading?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

Onr question about.codec.Are.files produced easy to work with better han those h265 from fuji for example that require very performint pc?also would like to know if i can get ready good footage may be with lut not being that good (yet) in grading?

Go with the GH5. Nothing against the P4K, it’s a great camera but it will require more of a learning curve and more to get her going. With the GH5 you can be up and shooting right out of the box. I think for what you’re looking for, you’ll be grateful to have the IBIS. And the P4K isn’t going anywhere. In 6 months to a year, you can probably get one used for around a thousand or less if you want more of a cinema camera than the GH5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

Onr question about.codec.Are.files produced easy to work with better han those h265 from fuji for example that require very performint pc?also would like to know if i can get ready good footage may be with lut not being that good (yet) in grading?

To answer your first question, I wasn't able to run Fuji H265 files on my laptop without transcoding.  For the BMPCC4K, I can smoothly play and edit BRAW files on my laptop. 

The only problem I've had with it is that my video card is only 2GB so I sometimes get Out of GPU memory error messages in Resolve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

I noticed a bug today with the new firmware update for the Metabones Ultra SB EF. The touch AF is absolutely horrible on the Sigma 18-35mm in BRAW. But, switch it over to any flavor of ProRes and it’s pretty decent. 

Along those same lines, the same lens setup works horribly with the Bluetooth+ app’s manual focus slider in BRAW, but is perfect in ProRes.

From what I've read on reddit, the Lumix 12-35/2.8 II suffered from the same issue. So, I believe this needs to be tackled from the camera-body side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer said:

Go with the GH5. Nothing against the P4K, it’s a great camera but it will require more of a learning curve and more to get her going. With the GH5 you can be up and shooting right out of the box. I think for what you’re looking for, you’ll be grateful to have the IBIS. And the P4K isn’t going anywhere. In 6 months to a year, you can probably get one used for around a thousand or less if you want more of a cinema camera than the GH5.

it s not easy, there is XT3 competiting :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

it s not easy, there is XT3 competiting :)

I think that you are on the wonderful safe side of testing at the moment: if you can, buy P4K, test it thoroughly for two weeks, and then you can immediately resell it on EOSHD forum to any of many eagerly waiting hands even for little bit more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, anonim said:

I think that you are on the wonderful safe side of testing at the moment: if you can, buy P4K, test it thoroughly for two weeks, and then you can immediately resell it on EOSHD forum to any of many eagerly waiting hands even for little bit more!

i thought it could be a solution, reselling the bm sill be very easy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...