Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

I would think if anyone is trying to make a actual living doing this stuff a lens combo like that would have to be a must in your kit. You Have to be able to make it happen whether you agree with the client or not. It is their money, so their call in the end. There is a reason the Sony a7s was so popular, maybe not the prettiest output, but a reliable low light output none the less. It can save your bacon. I would have to have one in the bag for do or die stuff like them or not. You get a reputation of not being able to make it happen and your goose is cooked. Pros make shit happen no matter the challenge with skill and gear, and that is why they succeed.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I would think if anyone is trying to make a actual living doing this stuff a lens combo like that would have to be a must in your kit. You Have to be able to make it happen whether you agree with the client or not. It is their money, so their call in the end. There is a reason the Sony a7s was so popular, maybe not the prettiest output, but a reliable low light output none the less. It can save your bacon. I would have to have one in the bag for do or die stuff like them or not. You get a reputation of not being able to make it happen and your goose is cooked. Pros make shit happen no matter the challenge with skill and gear, and that is why they succeed.

Did you have an A7S during your career years? 

Most of the pros I know prefer/own a GH5 more than a A7S. 

I dare to say A7s is a sail safe camera for youngsters more than experienced videomakers or pros. Just go unlimited ISO and pray.

Hell during my career I shot weddings with film! And later with film and tape video cameras. I would have been a Billionaire if I had a a7s back then lol. I disagree with a Pro not having one, you have in your magic kit ANYTHING that will help when the shit hits the fan.

I made most of my money in video doing TV ads. There is some damn good money in that. Everyone Has to advertise to be successful.

38 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Did you have an A7S during your career years? 

Most of the pros I know prefer/own a GH5 more than a A7S. 

I dare to say A7s is a sail safe camera for youngsters more than experienced videomakers or pros. Just go unlimited ISO and pray.

The GH5 is an all round better camera than the A7s but for low light the A7s was ( and is ) in a different league and that’s why it can deliver the results in difficult circumstances. Oh and pair it with an ext recorder and you still have a competitive image with all the benefits off a full frame. Sometimes wish I’d kept mine....

P4K Battery life w/NP-F970 batteries:

By the way, I just completed a quick battery test on the P4K, for anyone that is interested.

I set up 3 P4K's with NP-F970 batteries on a battery sled connected to the 12V port on the camera. The batteries were fully charged before starting the test. They all tested about 8.1V at the start.

Each camera had the following equipment and settings:

• XLR shotgun microphone with phantom power turned on
  • Audio levels set to 50%
  • Screen brightness at default levels
  • Samsung T5 1TB drives
  • Panasonic native M4/3 lenses
  • NO internal battery in camera

I recorded a static scene until the camera turned off. Then noted the duration of the recorded video. Here is what I found:

Battery 1: No name NP-F970 7.4V 48.84Wh => 2:08:51 total runtime
Battery 2: Powerextra NP-F970 7.4V 8800mAh 65.12Wh => 2:24:11 total runtime
Battery 3: Powerextra NP-F970 7.4V 8800mAh 65.12Wh => 2:25:10 total runtime

So, as a worse case scenario, my cams get around 2 hours and 20 minutes with a big NP-F970 battery.

Hopefully this information is helpful to people trying to decide how to power there little beasts :)

=============================================================================

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I see that you have "been there" before :) I agree with you completely. When you are getting paid for a job, you need to get it done, regardless of the obstacles. That is one of the reasons that I have backups for pretty much everything, including camera bodies. I get asked all the time why I bring so much gear to a job. Some of the gear that I bring isn't needed on every job, but at least I have the things to solve a problem when I need them. I am really big on redundancy. On a lot of our jobs, I only get one shot. I can't do a retake on many of our projects.

I actually had the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 Type II Lens in my bag the other day, but elected not to use it, as I didn't *quite* need it.  If I need a f/0.95 lens and ISO 10000+, that is a really peculiar situation. ISO 12800 with an f/1.2 lens is already much brighter on the screen than it looks to your naked eye. At least I didn't have to break out the night vision :D

1 hour ago, MeanRevert said:

Great info, thanks DRM!

Do you have any pics of your battery sled?  And where'd you get it?

These are the ones that I purchased:

https://amzn.to/2WXXpIZ

The batteries are a bit snug, but it works properly. I ordered 3 and they all work.

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/08/we-take-sharps-upcoming-8k-micro-four-thirds-camera-for-a-spin/

Seriously, wouldn't most of you prefer this form factor for the Pocket4K?!

It even has a hinge, an even bigger 5.5" screen, and almost all the same I/O.

Of course it lacks the front facing Rec Button but I can live with(-out) that!

That form factor may  be to small to cool the internals enough for RAW and internal 60p.

21 hours ago, leslie said:

two pages back the was a video shot by moonlight. i wonder if that's how it was accomplished with a 0.95 and speedbooster. I googled supermoon and they can be as much as 30% brighter and 14%  larger. So maybe a combination of all the above would make it doable perhaps.

I have a GH5 and I shoot home and travel videos in available light and I must say that having a 0.95 lens really makes a huge difference.  I just turned off all the lights so the room was only lit by the monitor and at f0.95 in HLG the 400 base ISO and 1/50th shutter is almost as bright as my vision.
I'd love an extra stop or so, but in terms of practicality being able to shoot whatever people can see is a good reference point for low-light performance.  The P4K should be a bit closer to that limit.

With the P4K, a Sigma 18-35 on a Viltrox booster at ISO 3200 1/50th shutter can be quite a bit brighter than what the human eye can see, and there's still plenty of room in the ISO range to go up. Going to 6400 is perfectly acceptable in most situations, but you can go even higher and clean up in post if you like.

28 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

2 hrs on a single charge while powering external disks. Sweet. 

I get 2.5 hours on an NPF on an external sled which costs way less and is a lot smaller - that's a big unit for not much capacity.

I actually think the battery grip is a decent option to have to keep everything integrated as it were.

Adding a bit of weight to the body when you're using adapted FF lenses on it won't be unwelcome from a balance point of view either.

Not quite sure how the price can be not far off double a similar Canon one for the same batteries though (which also includes nav/control buttons) let alone against the price of the 3rd party ones.

Throws a bit of a spanner (or hacksaw) in the works if you've bought a cage though.

As it appear to have no electronic - a third party knock offer may follow for cheap... at least that's what happened to the GH5 battery grip. And the third party version with electronics for the GH5 works perfectly for $50...

13 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

As it appear to have no electronic - a third party knock offer may follow for cheap... at least that's what happened to the GH5 battery grip. And the third party version with electronics for the GH5 works perfectly for $50...

I have a couple of the Panasonic GH5 battery grips and a couple of the Vello battery grips. The Vello grip feels a little bit more cheaply made, but they work perfectly. I haven't had a single issue with them and I leave them on the camera 24/7. I would certainly consider one for the P4K from Vello.

As to the new Blackmagic grip, I am excited and disappointed. 1) Using Sony NP-F570 batteries in the grip is just weird when the cam uses LP-E6 batteries. I am fine with it, but it is weird. 2) Now, I have three cages that won't work (obviously) with the grip. I will likely get grips anyway, but I like the compact cages. 3) It doesn't appear to allow hot swapping the batteries. Does anyone know if the grip allows hot swapping batteries? I bet no, after looking at the design.

5 minutes ago, drm said:

3) It doesn't appear to allow hot swapping the batteries. Does anyone know if the grip allows hot swapping batteries? I bet no, after looking at the design.

I don't think they're hot swap-able, but you can charge them through the 12v input. So you could have the grip and sled with a bigger NPF battery on and you'll be able to go for like half a day, then hotswap the battery on the sled if need be. Kind of the same as it currently stands with the LPE6, but with MUCH more backup.

From their website:

Designed for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, the new Pocket Battery Grip lets you replace the camera’s standard LP‑E6 battery with two L‑series batteries so you can shoot for over 2 hours on a single charge! You can even charge the batteries in the grip via the camera’s 12V DC connection in between takes!

--

I think the grip would be great for travel stuff where you don't want extra cables etc. I'll definitely grab one, but in a few months when some 3rd parties have solutions.