Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Glenn's club standard ; ) Seems he's not alone on that one, well, I fully understand his call anyways : -) At least, you'll be sure then he won't let you down from the other side when St. Peter : P will ask you about that bald dude with the cat in in his back : D Better a pretty rare one than just another pet you can find in any store of the neighborhood ; -)

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah for a cheap ass camera and rig it is pretty amazing. It took them years to do according to their Facebook page, but I don't think much of it was due to the camera. Just stuff when you are trying to do a zero budget film with friends, and limited gear, and not much time more than anything.

Kind of a Mercer type film LoL. I have a bad feeling I will be dead before he finishes it. And I doubt they have cable, or internet in Hell. 😜

@mercer

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah for a cheap ass camera and rig it is pretty amazing. It took them years to do according to their Facebook page, but I don't think much of it was due to the camera. Just stuff when you are trying to do a zero budget film with friends, and limited gear, and not much time more than anything.

Kind of a Mercer type film LoL. I have a bad feeling I will be dead before he finishes it. And I doubt they have cable, or internet in Hell. 😜

90% of the film was shot on the SLR Magic 12mm and Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm, with a Kowa 8mm, Angenieux 12-120, Pentacon 300, and a Nokton 17.5mm accounting for the rest.

Can I get some feedback on my planned P4K purchase list? This is my first camera, first lens, etc. I've tried to do as much research as I can, now I just need some learned eyes to double check I haven't made any real dumb decisions. Planned use will be no-budget narrative fiction and a bit of casual street filming.

Lenses: Meike 25mm T2.2 + Meike 16mm T2.2
Filters: Tiffen 77mm Indie Pro Infrared/ND Filter Kit
Monopod: Sirui P-326S with VH-10X head
Storage: Samsung T5 2TB

I would be planning to buy more of the Meikes as they came out, and I don't have to worry about sound for now. The other alternative would be to go for the Metabones + Sigma route. I already have the camera, a smallrig cage and a couple of batteries. Not sure if I'll need a bigger battery or not.

@tekeelaI haven't tried the Meike lenses but they look great! It looks like they are cheaper Veydras! If you end up picking them up please share some footage! 

You could probably save quite a bit of $$ on the filters & Storage. IR isn't a problem you'll probably ever notice. Ive used the Tiffen Vari-ND  at max and only ever noticed it once. I would also go with the 1TB over the 2TB. Im using the 500GB and get 73mins In BMRaw 3:1. DCI 4k 25p.

Yeah 2TB is sort of a dangerous amount of data to put in one basket as they say unless you are doing Documentary's all day, and even then I would not risk all that data on one storage device. Just get 2 or 3 smaller ones. Better way to go. That way you can forget and leave 2 of them at home and really be unhappy lol. That is the first thing you will find out is how much you forget to bring, or Gee I NEED to buy a Heck of a lot more stuff.

Not too fond of using a Monopod with a camera with a touchscreen. And the PK4 is an odd shaped body to start with. Especially a camera you are leaning on. Might get interesting lol. It is damn hard to get a lot of minutes of video unless you just turn it on and sort of walk away. I have been out for hours, and shot 15 minutes of footage, and felt good about getting that. 😀

2 hours ago, tekeela said:

Can I get some feedback on my planned P4K purchase list? This is my first camera, first lens, etc. I've tried to do as much research as I can, now I just need some learned eyes to double check I haven't made any real dumb decisions. Planned use will be no-budget narrative fiction and a bit of casual street filming.

I would be planning to buy more of the Meikes as they came out, and I don't have to worry about sound for now. The other alternative would be to go for the Metabones + Sigma route. I already have the camera, a smallrig cage and a couple of batteries. Not sure if I'll need a bigger battery or not.

I own the 25mm Meike and enjoy it very much. It's a good, sharp lens, and I plan on buying the 16mm soon. You'll need a follow focus though. The throw is very long and you won't be able to pull focus very well without one.

2 hours ago, tekeela said:

Looks fine but I'll just say that the two focal lengths you're looking to buy are very similar to each other and I wonder if having a bit more variation might be more useful initially?

I do understand that the 16 and 25 are probably the most common focal lengths that get used, so depending on how you shoot it might be fine.  I'd suggest thinking about what camera angles / framing you're going to have (two-person, one-person-wide, one-person mid, tight, over the shoulder, and b-roll closeups, establishing shots, etc) and how close your camera will be from them (are you shooting on sets, temporary locations in larger rooms, in people's houses in open-plan areas, houses in smaller rooms, open plan offices, individual offices, meeting rooms, locker rooms, etc ) as this combination of shot+distance will dictate the focal length you will need.  

For close-ups consider the minimum focus distances of your lenses too.

Also consider that if you're shooting 4K you only have to crop into the 16 about 150% to get 25 (which will be a 2.5K image) and if this is acceptable for you to do so, if you're delivering in 1080 for example, then maybe you get a 35 or 40 instead of the 25.  Or, you get a 12 and the 25, and you can crop in to emulate a 16, and also emulate a 35 or 40 with your 25.

As I said, this is personal, so the only person who can answer it is you, but make sure you've considered that before spending your budget :) 

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Not too fond of using a Monopod with a camera with a touchscreen. And the PK4 is an odd shaped body to start with. Especially a camera you are leaning on. Might get interesting lol. 

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm taking all the advice in and reconsidering my options from there.

Webrunner, in regards to what you said about the monopod: this is something I hadn't thought about, and to be honest I'm only half confident I understand what you're getting at. Could you recommend any alternatives?

11 hours ago, tekeela said:

Let's me to try to be useful :)

Lenses: T2.2 might not be enough flexible (as exclusive in arsenal); 25mm and 16mm are too close

Filters: That one is pretty expensive and slowing shooting process solution

Monopod: Maybe to try first with some UW lens and see how you manage handheld shooting with it regarding style and possibility

@tekeela Meike are also coming out with a 12mm at some point, could be a great addition! https://www.cinegearpro.co.uk/products/meike-12mm-t2-2-manual-focus-cinema-prime-lens

I would also hold off on buying the monopod right away! especially such an expensive one. You could try buying a cheap used manfrotto photo monopod on eBay to see if you the shooting style. When I do street stuff I prefer to just be handheld. Im lazy, the less stuff I have to carry the more often ill bring my camera! 

Also personally I find T2.2 more than enough for my requirements! 

5 hours ago, tekeela said:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm taking all the advice in and reconsidering my options from there.

Webrunner, in regards to what you said about the monopod: this is something I hadn't thought about, and to be honest I'm only half confident I understand what you're getting at. Could you recommend any alternatives?

Oh I am not saying Don't use a Monopod at all, but I think you might go with a normal tripod for awhile until you get used to using the camera. I use a Monopod myself at times, but I don't use a Fluid Head on one, and I don't have one with the feet either. One gust of wind, or someone wanting to look at the screen or touch it, or you swinging your arm around, ouch. I think until you get really familiar with it I would stay with a Tripod. Buy the Monopod with the head and just find a good used Tripod on the web or Craigslist. That way you can swap the head between them. I like Tripods with a Half Bowl. It is WAY easier to get the camera level really fast. That adjusting the legs thing is the pits.

Find a Heavy Tripod, and I even hang a Gallon Jug of water off the bottom of them or use something else heavy.  When you are done you just pour out the water and bring the empty bottle home. You can't have too steady of a tripod. The nice thing about a Monopod is they are a lot faster to move, but I have used my Tripod with the legs unfolded and move it around like that. But you can't really pan with one that way.

Everyone has different needs and likes. You will figure out your sweet spot. Video is a Lot different from Photo work for Tripod, Monopod usage. And a nice thing is if you have a nice fluid head you can use that for wildlife better than the normal swing gimbals most use in photography for your photography. A lot more Fluid, pun intended.

Speaking of tripods or monopods, one of the best items I have ever bought is a gizmo that goes into where the Long Manfrotto foot is on their tripods. And a lot of other tripod manufactures use the Manfrotto standard or Arca Swiss. The problem is when you take the long foot out of the tripod when you are using a DSLR or a Mirrorless camera is the foot is hanging what seems like 2 inches front and back of the body.

This thing goes into the slot and turns 90 degrees, that way it latches, clamps on your camera body sideways. Then it is a LOT smaller footprint, and all of it is under the base of your camera. It is great to put it mildly. Cost like 39 Dollars, but is well worth it, at least in my eyes. Only drawback, but same problem with the long foot, is you can't just sit it down flat on a table when it is attached to your body. No more tripod foot sticking in your mouth or throat anymore lol..

Now it does not come with a Arca Swiss plate of any kind. I have a really small one I use I keep attached to the camera body, actually I have several of the Arca Swiss ones for each kind of body...

https://www.promediagear.com/PM501-Manfrotto-Type-QR-Plate-with-Arca-Swiss-Type-Clamp-Built-in-For-501PL-502-504-Nitro-RC3-RC5-NG-Heads-Ronin-S_p_343.html

I have an Old Manfrotto Monopod with the Pistol Grip on it. I took the safety off of it. Slows you down too much. I find it works better and faster for Photo and Video than ones that have sections in it. There is a video on this website that shows how he holds it, same one I have, and I do the same, especially for Photos. I used to do a lot of Zoo photos BiF stuff, and some video, and you need to be fast to work your way around in the crowds. I think it might be good even for weddings getting different angles that others miss. That is what you have to be, different.

http://www.carolinawildphoto.com/podtechnique.htm

Has anyone shot an entire feature on this camera yet? How much storage was required with BRAW? Or did you use prores?  I’ve only done small projects so far (couple minutes or less with prores) and i’m wondering how many hard drives i’m going to need for a 90 minute feature.