Shooting with the Panasonic S1 in Barcelona

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
18 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Nice piece.

Oh and the cheque is in the post for this plug ;)

No worries. Let's hope his translator translated the plug. You never know how much gets through :)

7 minutes ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Skintones look great! Cheers Andrew

The colour science should be interesting on this one especially when it gets the 10bit update.

Immediately apparent it beats Sony!

Colors look very pleasing at first sight. The only thing I was truly hoping for was a 4:3 video  mode so I can adapt my 2x anamorphic setups in s35 crop mode. According to brand ambassador Jacob James there's no 4:3 with the current FW. If they will implement a 4:3 mode with supported IBIS like in the gh5 I might be aboard. If it can do 4/6k in photomode at 30fps 4:3 I don't see why anamorphic wouldn't be possible with a FW update. 

@Andrew Reid Hey Andrew, great interview. I really like the introduction. Awesome that you had a such an open talk and constructive  time with the Lumix S1 team and its leading gentleman. The current codec choices are Lumix G7 territory, which would not make me consider to buy this camera. I hope for GH5 codec choices, ALL Intra included and full VLOG. Then this would be my first full frame video/cinema camera. All full frame GH5 with full VLOG and without artificial sharpening and good battery life- here is my money! For now these codecs area available, which give Lumix G7 and GX85 quality.

02.JPG

40 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Is 72 Mbps a fairly standard bitrate for HEVC? I see it only uses that for HLG recording.

This is too low. The un-hacked NX500 shoots that, and that is a 4 years old tiny camera that cost 750€ kit when new. This is too low for a 2019 un-released yet, camera. Also, the NX500 can shoot double, or more, than that, and 2.5K also, with the hack.

72 H265 is a lot better than a similar number in H264, but certainly no 144Mbps. No way.

Panasonic said it, this is a photo camera first, that can do alright video too. They didn't lie!

I believe the power of the consortium are the total lenses that 3 big companies can offer on a short period of time, but this is still to be seen.

Do not see myself as an early adaptor in any of those! P4K or Z for me.

32 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

It's comparable to 150Mbps in H.264
Nothing to write home about, but at least they offer HEVC. 

Overall it doesn't look like the camera is aimed at the video market, as it's seems aimed mainly at professional photographers

Sorry but I'm gonna correct it every time I see this. 72Mbps HEVC is identical to 72Mbps H.264. That 50% bitrate saving marketing BS only applies to extremely compressed materials for streaming. For 4K it would be around 10-20Mbps for HEVC to show its strength.

The reason they offer HEVC is because BT.2100 HLG spec stipulates it.

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

@Andrew Reid Hey Andrew, great interview. I really like the introduction. Awesome that you had a such an open talk and constructive  time with the Lumix S1 team and its leading gentleman. The current codec choices are Lumix G7 territory, which would not make me consider to buy this camera. I hope for GH5 codec choices, ALL Intra included and full VLOG. Then this would be my first full frame video/cinema camera. All full frame GH5 with full VLOG and without artificial sharpening and good battery life- here is my money! For now these codecs area available, which give Lumix G7 and GX85 quality.

02.JPG

Well you in luck because Panasonic has awesome track record of adding features in consistent firmware updates. It’s one of the reasons I prefer to buy Panasonic over other brands. I know they’ll keep it fresh for the users.