Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, BaZa said:

Hey guys!

Finally I got my Z6 + 24-70mm. I know I still need to understand more this new settings and AF, but I already struggle with what everyone is talking, low light AF for photo. But besides that, this looks really really promising. So good to have video and photo settings saved independently. 

I believe the default profile for video is a little too much with sharpening and contrast. What settings do you use for standard and flat profile?
I was thinking about to sell my Sigma 18-35mm, but I think I'll stay with it and shoot video in DX mode. It doesn't seems to make a difference.

Thanks

Congratulations, it's  a fantastic camera. I'm certain you will love it. Yes low light AF is not great.  But the low light high ISO performance is good. I need to shoot more with mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I like it but I'm struggling with it. I really need to understand how this AF-F and AF modes works. In video mode touch screen works but If I click AF-on doesn't do anything, only in AF-S Single. And dunno why, peaking isn't showing. In "i" menu I added peaking, but can't see anything...

I already read it, that Lightroom is reading the NEF files as it was a JPEG. It's very nice because you can see the right colors straight.

For video profiles, do you guys use Auto, Regular or Flat? I've lowered the sharpening in all 3 profiles, but I'm still wondering the best video options ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BaZa said:

I like it but I'm struggling with it. I really need to understand how this AF-F and AF modes works. In video mode touch screen works but If I click AF-on doesn't do anything, only in AF-S Single. And dunno why, peaking isn't showing. In "i" menu I added peaking, but can't see anything...

I already read it, that Lightroom is reading the NEF files as it was a JPEG. It's very nice because you can see the right colors straight.

For video profiles, do you guys use Auto, Regular or Flat? I've lowered the sharpening in all 3 profiles, but I'm still wondering the best video options ...

I'm too still learning the AF on the Z6 ! In video mode, when I'm not manually focusing, I mostly rely on "all time af" (or something like that, I do not have the camera in hands right now), wide area, and I either move the camera so the focus is smoothly operated on the wide area I've selected, or move the af area with the joystick, to pull the focus smoothly wherever I want on the frame. I rarely use AFC or face detect.

For stills, I'm transitioning to capture one pro, as I can't stand Lightroom anymore 😄

As for video profiles, I use the flat one, with the sharpening just lowered a tad, and i find it sufficient for my needs. I'm learning Resolve 15 and color grading, and the profile is surprisingly great, just like everybody talked about the flat profile back in the D750 days. If the footage is correctly exposed, you have a good latitude to work with. You can make the image sing with just some small adjustments. I may try 10 bit log in the future or, why not, by a bmpcc4k if I want to grade a lot.

What lenses are you using with it ? Sorry, I've just read about your 24-70 kit !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoodlum said:

Nikon announced that ProRes Raw is coming in a future firmware update.  Nikon also announced a Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Kit for $4k.

 

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7011682215/nikon-to-add-eye-af-raw-video-support-and-cfexpress-support-to-z-series

 

Crazy! I am hoping Panasonic and Sony will also be offering RAW recording out. 

RAW off the Z6 sensor should get quite good dynamic range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoodlum said:

Nikon announced that ProRes Raw is coming in a future firmware update.  Nikon also announced a Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Kit for $4k.

 

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7011682215/nikon-to-add-eye-af-raw-video-support-and-cfexpress-support-to-z-series

 

Amazong. So is this the first hybrid camera to natively offer RAW video? I would never have guessed that Nikon would be first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Nice to know : ) Wish 4K60p might be a reality as well...

Let's not get too optimistic. Offering RAW output does not mean bypassing the underlying sensor readout drive limitations (sub-LVDS 12bit readout).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Let's not get too optimistic. Offering RAW output does not mean bypassing the underlying sensor readout drive limitations (sub-LVDS 12bit readout).

 

Hence to limit myself to dream about... ; ) Either way, still a milestone this upgrade no matter what : -)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is this the first camera to offer RAW over HDMI??? (I think most cameras that offer RAW either do it over SDI or USB C, don't they???)

Or does the BMPCC4k have RAW over HDMI?

Jeez... this is pretty tempting now. 4K 60p would be nice. And having N Log internally would be nice as well (but if I need to get a Ninja V for recording RAW then I guess it is a moot point, huh?)

Darn... kind of wish I had held on to my Nikon glass...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Or does the BMPCC4k have RAW over HDMI?

I don't think it does - but the HDMI is limited to 1080p only. 

Since it does Internal RAW or to an SSD though, it wouldn't benefit from having it on HDMI - you can get the same end result with a much cheaper, or even no monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I don't think it does - but the HDMI is limited to 1080p only. 

Since it does Internal RAW or to an SSD though, it wouldn't benefit from having it on HDMI - you can get the same end result with a much cheaper, or even no monitor.

Thanks! So yeah, I guess that means the Z6 / Z7 will be the first to offer RAW over HDMI then...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...