Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

And you didn't loose all your pictures because of the Single Card Slot 

Admit it, it's a cheap ass design. Stupid decision, especially on the Z7. It will cost them sales. Accident waiting to happen. It is not like the damn things are a 500 dollar entry item.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Admit it, it's a cheap ass design. Stupid decision, especially on the Z7. It will cost them sales. Accident waiting to happen. It is not like the damn things are a 500 dollar entry item.

XQD and CFast cards are both pretty robust. SD is more of a concern. But are you shooting to both cards simultaneously when shooting video? I don't think so.  That is unless you are shooting on a C200 with 8 bit proxy files. Though I think the GH5/s have this feature also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most of the better stuff has had the option to back up files simultaneously for a long time. It would be awful risky to shoot a long take with a million dollar actor and the One card failed. It is I guess one of the reasons high end Cine cameras always cost as much as a house.  Yeah my Panasonic AF100 could do that also. Nice peace of mind even for a short take.

Buy yes you are right XQD cards seem to be better built. But Anything can screw up. I remember on my Canon 1D mk III I bent the pins in the CF card slot on time putting it in. I could never use it again. I had to use the SD card slot from then on. Shit happens like it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I think most of the better stuff has had the option to back up files simultaneously for a long time. It would be awful risky to shoot a long take with a million dollar actor and the One card failed. It is I guess one of the reasons high end Cine cameras always cost as much as a house.  Yeah my Panasonic AF100 could do that also. Nice peace of mind even for a short take.

Buy yes you are right XQD cards seem to be better built. But Anything can screw up. I remember on my Canon 1D mk III I bent the pins in the CF card slot on time putting it in. I could never use it again. I had to use the SD card slot from then on. Shit happens like it or not.

If you have a job with a million dollar actor you can probably afford an external recorder tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If you have a job with a million dollar actor you can probably afford an external recorder tho.

Some cameras you can't record both at once. Internal or external only. But yeah the big ones could do that. I would imagine shooting a movie on film was pretty damn stressful back in the day. One shot and hope..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, webrunner5 said:

Some camera you can't record both at once. Internal or external only. But yeah the big ones could do that. I would imagine shooting a movie on film was pretty damn stressful back in the day. One shot and hope..

I think we worry too much these days. But yeah I wonder if the Nikon does both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think we worry too much these days. But yeah I wonder if the Nikon does both.

I think it depends if you are making a living doing it. That is Always stressful! And yes it looks like the Nikon can record both at the same time. But maybe only in 8bit?? That would kind of suck. But I bet it is true. You can only get 8bit internal on the Nikon can't you?

"If you use an external recorder like those from Atmos, you can take advantage of 10-bit output, or you can shoot 8-bit 4K footage to both an external recorder and the internal memory card simultaneously."

From this article.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/11/21/review-nikon-z6-is-a-great-all-around-full-frame-mirrorless-camera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Has anyone else had this experience of shooting NLog to a recorder having a hit on AF performance?

 

Log profiles basically underexpose the sensor and do a digital push off-chip, PDAF pixels do not get enough light to work reliably, and this is worsened by the already dimly lit scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, androidlad said:

Log profiles basically underexpose the sensor and do a digital push off-chip, PDAF pixels do not get enough light to work reliably, and this is worsened by the already dimly lit scene.

Surely the amount of light received by the PDAF pixels is down to the lens aperture, regardless of image ISO sensitivity. It looks to me like he keeps the same aperture/DOF between his two test sessions. Sure it is dark, but the AF looks pretty good in the first half with otherwise identical settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Surely the amount of light received by the PDAF pixels is down to the lens aperture, regardless of image ISO sensitivity. It looks to me like he keeps the same aperture/DOF between his two test sessions. Sure it is dark, but the AF looks pretty good in the first half with otherwise identical settings.

The test was done in controlled lighting. If the image was underexposed I raised the output of the light. I shoot both log and raw regularly. This performance is not in line with how other cameras have performed under similar conditions. If it was, I would not have been concerned. I have shot CLog, Canon RawLite, FLog, VLog, VLogL, SLog etc... all under similar conditions. This big shift in AF performance stands out as unusual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An update, after having played with footages in resolve. I've discovered an nanoying behavior with the 24-70 f4, the same I encountered with Fuji. At 24mm, there are some visible wobbles in the corners. I do not think it is an ibis related problem, but more an auto distortion control one. It was the same with Fuji. A guy too find this behavior on dvxuser http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?361639-Nikon-Z6-10bit-output/page2

The option is greyed out in the menu, with this lense. I hope they will offer the possibility to disable it.

For the record, it seems that this behavior does not occur at longer focals with this lense. Which would be logical given the distortion presents at 24mm.

It is not present on the footages I've shot with the adapted 50mm 1.8 G. I will do some tests to be 100% sure.

Anyway, the good news is that, as I need to stabilize my footages in resolve due to very high winds while recording, the problem is solved even with a small amount of stabilization in resolve ! The footages are steady, and wobbles free, at a really small cost !

Ah, and the image is really gorgeous... the internal flat profile seems to hold well the grading. I continue to learn how to not trash a footage with an awful grading, and I'll share some stuff 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 6:26 PM, DBounce said:

The test was done in controlled lighting. If the image was underexposed I raised the output of the light. I shoot both log and raw regularly. This performance is not in line with how other cameras have performed under similar conditions. If it was, I would not have been concerned. I have shot CLog, Canon RawLite, FLog, VLog, VLogL, SLog etc... all under similar conditions. This big shift in AF performance stands out as unusual. 

So the light levels and aperture were identical between the shots?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BasiliskFilm said:

So the light levels and aperture were identical between the shots?

No, NLog requires a minimum ISO of 800... The non NLog shot was at 400 ISO IIRC. It might have been a little lower. I did the test

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys!

Finally I got my Z6 + 24-70mm. I know I still need to understand more this new settings and AF, but I already struggle with what everyone is talking, low light AF for photo. But besides that, this looks really really promising. So good to have video and photo settings saved independently. 

I believe the default profile for video is a little too much with sharpening and contrast. What settings do you use for standard and flat profile?
I was thinking about to sell my Sigma 18-35mm, but I think I'll stay with it and shoot video in DX mode. It doesn't seems to make a difference.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BaZa said:

Hey guys!

Finally I got my Z6 + 24-70mm. I know I still need to understand more this new settings and AF, but I already struggle with what everyone is talking, low light AF for photo. But besides that, this looks really really promising. So good to have video and photo settings saved independently. 

I believe the default profile for video is a little too much with sharpening and contrast. What settings do you use for standard and flat profile?
I was thinking about to sell my Sigma 18-35mm, but I think I'll stay with it and shoot video in DX mode. It doesn't seems to make a difference.

Thanks

Congratulations, it's  a fantastic camera. I'm certain you will love it. Yes low light AF is not great.  But the low light high ISO performance is good. I need to shoot more with mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it but I'm struggling with it. I really need to understand how this AF-F and AF modes works. In video mode touch screen works but If I click AF-on doesn't do anything, only in AF-S Single. And dunno why, peaking isn't showing. In "i" menu I added peaking, but can't see anything...

I already read it, that Lightroom is reading the NEF files as it was a JPEG. It's very nice because you can see the right colors straight.

For video profiles, do you guys use Auto, Regular or Flat? I've lowered the sharpening in all 3 profiles, but I'm still wondering the best video options ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BaZa said:

I like it but I'm struggling with it. I really need to understand how this AF-F and AF modes works. In video mode touch screen works but If I click AF-on doesn't do anything, only in AF-S Single. And dunno why, peaking isn't showing. In "i" menu I added peaking, but can't see anything...

I already read it, that Lightroom is reading the NEF files as it was a JPEG. It's very nice because you can see the right colors straight.

For video profiles, do you guys use Auto, Regular or Flat? I've lowered the sharpening in all 3 profiles, but I'm still wondering the best video options ...

I'm too still learning the AF on the Z6 ! In video mode, when I'm not manually focusing, I mostly rely on "all time af" (or something like that, I do not have the camera in hands right now), wide area, and I either move the camera so the focus is smoothly operated on the wide area I've selected, or move the af area with the joystick, to pull the focus smoothly wherever I want on the frame. I rarely use AFC or face detect.

For stills, I'm transitioning to capture one pro, as I can't stand Lightroom anymore 😄

As for video profiles, I use the flat one, with the sharpening just lowered a tad, and i find it sufficient for my needs. I'm learning Resolve 15 and color grading, and the profile is surprisingly great, just like everybody talked about the flat profile back in the D750 days. If the footage is correctly exposed, you have a good latitude to work with. You can make the image sing with just some small adjustments. I may try 10 bit log in the future or, why not, by a bmpcc4k if I want to grade a lot.

What lenses are you using with it ? Sorry, I've just read about your 24-70 kit !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...