Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Recommended Posts

On 1/8/2019 at 4:27 PM, KnightsFan said:

Amazong. So is this the first hybrid camera to natively offer RAW video? I would never have guessed that Nikon would be first.

 

On 1/8/2019 at 4:31 PM, webrunner5 said:

Wow Nikon is the Last company I would have thought would go that route. That is amazing!


Why not Nikon be first? 

After all Nikon was first giving us an HDSLR in the first place! 😉

(Nikon picked up a few other minor firsts too, like the first 4K APS-C DSLR, and numerous firsts in the photography world)

 

On 1/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, JurijTurnsek said:

haha, poor Sony will have to postpone the a7SIII launch yet again

And then Panasonic will release the S1 and Sony will have to delay yet again....

Then Fujifilm releases the X-H2 and Sony has to delay yet again

Until Panasonic will release the GH6 and Sony will have to delay yet again....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Why not Nikon be first? 

After all Nikon was first giving us an HDSLR in the first place! 😉

No reason why Nikon shouldn't be first, but when Atomos first announced Raw over HDMI, I predicted that Panasonic would be the first to take advantage of it. My second guess would have been that Blackmagic make a Raw video camera that takes good enough photos to be technically called a hybrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 7:49 AM, Danyyyel said:

There has been some management change if I am not mistaken. It is true that they have sometimes added  some functionality but never at this level. One reason could also be that other manufacturer have come with 10 bit video just after them and just like that they where just in the pack, with Pana and Fuji with 4k 60p. As a Nikon user, every time Nikon came out with some new video tech, but just at the same time someone came and just took the limelight out of them. Even if I know how good the Nikon video image is for quite some time, most people consider them as not good or only photographic centric company. This time would have played the same way, the Z6 would have been only for Nikon connoisseur. The rest would have still been Sony, Canon, Pana or even fuji video users. When you think the A73 was considered game changing like only 9 month ago and the z6 more or less beats it in every way, this tells you how low Nikon is in the video community. 

While now, with this RAW upgrade, they clearly make a Canon 5D move in 2008. All the others, except Fuji are scratching their heads. This would kill a lot of sales for Canon, Sony and Pana if they put RAW in their 2000-3000 mirrorless camera in their video camera line.

Yes, Nikon is one of the top choices for video (arguably the #1 choice), yet their perception is not even "mid back" but "last" (ignored alongside with Pentax etc). 

Nikon has a serious marketing problem, and giving us raw video from a $2K full frame mirrorless exactly what they need to do to make heads turn and finally pay attention

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't wanna belittle Nikon's efforts but you can get internal RAW today for $1300. And internal 10-bit for $1500.

A Nikon Z6 + FTZ adapter + Ninja V will run you almost $3K. That's second hand FS5 money. We're also talking ProRes Raw which has its limitations.

And furthermore who really wants to use an external recorder on a mirrorless? Not that many people imo. Kind of defeats the whole compact portable purpose.

I still think this is a step in the right direction but I'm hoping Nikon goes further and gives us internal 10-bit, Log & even Raw. We know its technically possible.

I'd really like to see Nikon put a strong dent in the market (they deserve it and competition is healthy for all us) but with BMD, Fuji, the S1 & Sony's response I sincerely think it's going to take a little more than external ProRes Raw to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But can't take a fs7 apart and make it small. Also no idea but the next cam with autofocus and raw is c300? P4k, no af and the lot does not take photos either. 

I am on the verge of getting a p4k but to really shot it stable you need to rig it up. With z6 the only rigging to be done is add the ninja Ibis should do the rest. For me it seems still the smallest package.

hybrid, continues af, Ibis, raw, in a10x15x15cm package, jfc.

Specs wise it is mind blowing. Reality not so much, yet. Let's see how the firmware updates are coming along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hansel said:

But can't take a fs7 apart and make it small. Also no idea but the next cam with autofocus and raw is c300? P4k, no af and the lot does not take photos either. 

I am on the verge of getting a p4k but to really shot it stable you need to rig it up. With z6 the only rigging to be done is add the ninja Ibis should do the rest. For me it seems still the smallest package.

hybrid, continues af, Ibis, raw, in a10x15x15cm package, jfc.

Specs wise it is mind blowing. Reality not so much, yet. Let's see how the firmware updates are coming along.

IBIS seems limiting though with the odd effects it can bring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 7:15 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

IBIS seems limiting though with the odd effects it can bring.

Exactly, that’s what I meant with “reality just not quite there yet.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 7:15 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

IBIS seems limiting though with the odd effects it can bring.

So far, it has only annoyed me at wide angle (at 24mm with the new 24-70 f4), as I explained earlier. It is the same behavior as with my XT2 + 18-55 ois and 50-140, and seems to be linked to the distortion auto-correction. I've posted a link to the dvxuser forum where someone found the same conclusions. I easily get rid of it with DV Resolve, by using a minimal amount of stabilization (and a tiny crop most of the time). It really works well.

With my adapted 50mm 1.8G, it does not appear, which points to a messy distortion auto-correction.

At around 70mm, it is quite jittery, when I can't manage to remain steady (for example, when it was really cold with a lot of wind and snow). Again, 30s into Resolve and it rocks (at least, I'm satisfied with it). Otherwise, for static shots with steady hands, it is incredible. Quite similar, if not better, than what I managed to obtain with the Fuji 50-140.

10 hours ago, hansel said:

Exactly, that’s what I meant with “reality just not quite there yet.”

Yes, there are a lot of small annoyances, and photographylife has summarized them (I agree with almost the entire list !) but none of them have really prevented me from shooting accordingly to my will. I too hope for the firmware update to improve things.

I will soon buy a telephoto for distant landscape and wildlife, so I'll let you know how the ibis work !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the weird IBIS artifacts almost disappear at 50mm, but it’s not distortion correction that’s causing this. I tested a couple of manual focus wide angle lenses with corrections turned off, and saw the same wobbles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ivanku said:

I agree that the weird IBIS artifacts almost disappear at 50mm, but it’s not distortion correction that’s causing this. I tested a couple of manual focus wide angle lenses with corrections turned off, and saw the same wobbles. 

Ah, that's interesting thanks ! I was sure about the distortion correction, because it was supposed to be the case on the Fuji XT2, and the Z6 wobbles is extremely similar. But your tests point to the ibis, I guess. To be sure we talk about the same phenomena : by wobbles, we talk about a sort of distortion, like a shift in the corners, not just "shaking" ? On my Fuji, it sometimes appeared on the entire frame, while with the Z6, it seems to only concern the corners.

So, again, fingers crossed for the FW update 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, exactly - a pronounced distortion at the corners with little effect on the center. I did some handheld video on a job yesterday with the 50mm 1.8 and I didn’t see any wobble. So the IBIS is useful, but limited. What was the issue on Fuji’s? The xt2 never had ibis, correct? So was it an effect that was visible without any mechanical stabilization?

 

there might be software that Nikon is running with ibis that we don’t know about. So just because we’ve got Distortion correction disabled, doesn’t mean there’s no computing happening we don’t know about. It may be purely mechanical, or it may be something that Nikon can change in the firmware 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I am holding fire on a decision until I see the new firmware. Sony have stepped up their AF on the A6400/A9 and I am guessing there will be a video oriented release taking on the z6 (A7SIII, A7IV?) which will have to be competitively priced. Can Nikon improve their already good AF to keep up with a firmware update? Particularly in the field of action stills, the Z6 is not really a sports camera, the DSLRs still have the edge for stills. The ideal hybrid video/stills action solution is still not there; the A9 is perhaps the closest, but still expensive and lacking key video features like profiles.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 5:12 PM, ivanku said:

I agree that the weird IBIS artifacts almost disappear at 50mm, but it’s not distortion correction that’s causing this. I tested a couple of manual focus wide angle lenses with corrections turned off, and saw the same wobbles. 

I also saw some weird wobbling in ibis mode. I didn't make scientific test, put putting it in sport mode seems to get rid of it. I have work two week extensively on a project with the z6 and put it in sport mode most of the time and did not see it at all. At least it was not obvious at all for me to notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 6:55 PM, ivanku said:

Yep, exactly - a pronounced distortion at the corners with little effect on the center. I did some handheld video on a job yesterday with the 50mm 1.8 and I didn’t see any wobble. So the IBIS is useful, but limited. What was the issue on Fuji’s? The xt2 never had ibis, correct? So was it an effect that was visible without any mechanical stabilization?

 

there might be software that Nikon is running with ibis that we don’t know about. So just because we’ve got Distortion correction disabled, doesn’t mean there’s no computing happening we don’t know about. It may be purely mechanical, or it may be something that Nikon can change in the firmware 

Yes, correct, no ibis on the xt2, but I relied on the 18-55 OIS to add a bit of stab. From what I remember, the distortion auto-correction was incriminated in a lot of forum speculations. But, as you wrote, it may be something running in the background.
Concerning the z6, I have just read on dvxuser a guy who seems to get rid of the wobbling by setting IBIS to "sport". I'm gonna test this today with the 24-70. I'm testing right now with the 50 1.8g adapted via ftz, and it seems to be less jittery/jumpy, but I will confirm that later buy reviewing on my computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 12:44 PM, Geoff_L said:

Yes, correct, no ibis on the xt2, but I relied on the 18-55 OIS to add a bit of stab. From what I remember, the distortion auto-correction was incriminated in a lot of forum speculations. But, as you wrote, it may be something running in the background.
Concerning the z6, I have just read on dvxuser a guy who seems to get rid of the wobbling by setting IBIS to "sport". I'm gonna test this today with the 24-70. I'm testing right now with the 50 1.8g adapted via ftz, and it seems to be less jittery/jumpy, but I will confirm that later buy reviewing on my computer.

That's exactly my experience that I reported above. I did it more or less by trial and error. I just switched the thing to sport mode and saw no more wobble and forgot about it until I came back to this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

That's exactly my experience that I reported above. I did it more or less by trial and error. I just switched the thing to sport mode and saw no more wobble and forgot about it until I came back to this thread.

Aaaah sorry, I have read you comment too quickly ! I have yet to try the 24-70 with ibis in sport mode, but so far it is working better with the 50 1.8G. Good news, as I do not see any difference except from less wobbles and jitters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I am learning Resolve, here is a still grab. It is just a test, nothing serious, after having tweaked the wheels to check how the flat profile responses. Shot with the 24-70s, handheld with the help of high winds 😄

Oh, btw, exiting news these days : a speedmaster 50 f0.95 for z mount is coming, as well as new samyang lenses and techart adapters (Sony to Z, and canon to Z) are soon to be announced.

z6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 3:04 AM, BasiliskFilm said:

To be honest, I am holding fire on a decision until I see the new firmware. Sony have stepped up their AF on the A6400/A9 and I am guessing there will be a video oriented release taking on the z6 (A7SIII, A7IV?) which will have to be competitively priced. Can Nikon improve their already good AF to keep up with a firmware update? Particularly in the field of action stills, the Z6 is not really a sports camera, the DSLRs still have the edge for stills. The ideal hybrid video/stills action solution is still not there; the A9 is perhaps the closest, but still expensive and lacking key video features like profiles.
 

I have a buddy who shoots sidelines at Oakland Raiders games and he switched from his Sony A9 system to Canon. He complained a lot about autofocus tracking especially while panning in autofocus continuous high. This is the weakness of mirrorless cameras and why I would only use my Nikon Z6 for pre and post game shots. In game football action, NOTHING beats a DSLR and optical viewfinder especially on the D500 and D3s up through to the D5 (OH GOD how I love the D500). Then again, these cameras are nothing but tools. Right tool for the right job. There is no magic Goldilocks camera that will rule them all.

In regards to hybrid video shooting stabilization, the best thing to do to eliminate lens or IBIS video wobble is to buy a gimbal and turn off IBS/VR. Sure, it makes any mirrorless system more of a clunky beast, but if you want buttery smooth video with a stills camera (mirrorless or DSLR), you need to place it on a gimbal. NO camera manufacturer is going to cannibalize their pro video cam lineup by introducing a cheaper and compact consumer/prosumer stills camera that can eclipse an FS5/7, Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k, EVA1, or Canon's C100-300 Cinema line up. And Nikon is too conservative of a company to leap into that territory of dedicated video cameras.

These mirrorless cameras are meant to be nothing but a bridge between standard DSLRs and dedicated video cams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...