Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/15/2018 at 10:39 PM, webrunner5 said:

Well it is their first effort. It is not going to be perfect even with a bunch of Firmware updates. It will take a few more generations to get up to speed.

I remember when you where saying that Nikon first gen would never compete against Sony third gen. You know what the Z6 is better than the A73 Sony MILC, better viewfinder, rear screen, ergonomic, 10 bit, construction weather sealing, 10 bit etc. The only thing it looses is Continous autofocus in.............. photo and not video. So what I expect is at least 1 or 2 firmware update for continuous autofocus to get it better. That does not mean that its photo autofocus is bad, it is just not at the same level than the Sony in Continous autofocus.

 

 

4 hours ago, BasiliskFilm said:

10 bit log output - looks like Sony's handicapping may not be very effective ;)

I can't understand people thinking, Sony sensor division is number one in the world, why would they handicap their reputation to protect 13% Milc Dslr market. They would alienate 90% of their own customer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

I remember when you where saying that Nikon first gen would never compete against Sony third gen. You know what the Z6 is better than the A73 Sony MILC, better viewfinder, rear screen, ergonomic, 10 bit, construction weather sealing, 10 bit etc. The only thing it looses is Continous autofocus in.............. photo and not video. So what I expect is at least 1 or 2 firmware update for continuous autofocus to get it better. That does not mean that its photo autofocus is bad, it is just not at the same level than the Sony in Continous autofocus.

 

 

I can't understand people thinking, Sony sensor division is number one in the world, why would they handicap their reputation to protect 13% Milc Dslr market. They would alienate 90% of their own customer.

Personally I am not buying a Nikon or a Fuji anything because there is not a past camera to go to, or upward way to go as of now for video. It is not like  Sony, Canon, or BMD where they have older Cine cameras, and new ones to go to if you want to get more serious, or use what you have as a B camera. They have no add on XLR adapters on and on. They are too new for my liking. But they might get better. I would personally buy the EOS-R over the Nikon's and Fuji's because there is a path forward and backwards for them. Just because it is the latest and greatest doesn't mean much in the video world.

It's like all this 10bit stuff. Most people don't have a Monitor or a Computer that can take advantage of it or process it. Or the storage space to keep it. 90% of the people on here would be better off with a DPAF C100 and be done with it. Problems solved. Just pick it up and go. No goofy cages, no SSD's, no big time CFast cards. Easy Peezy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Personally I am not buying a Nikon or a Fuji anything because there is not a past camera to go to, or upward way to go as of now for video. It is not like  Sony, Canon, or BMD where they have older Cine cameras, and new ones to go to if you want to get more serious, or use what you have as a B camera. They have no add on XLR adapters on and on. They are too new for my liking. But they might get better. I would personally buy the EOS-R over the Nikon's and Fuji's because there is a path forward and backwards for them. Just because it is the latest and greatest doesn't mean much in the video world.

It's like all this 10bit stuff. Most people don't have a Monitor or a Computer that can take advantage of it or process it. Or the storage space to keep it. 90% of the people on here would be better off with a DPAF C100 and be done with it. Problems solved. Just pick it up and go. No goofy cages, no SSD's, no big time CFast cards. Easy Peezy.

Can't really say I agree. You don't need a 10 bit monitor to utilize 10 bit, you don't need a monitor to display 15 stops to utilize an Alexa's DR, and you don't need a 4k monitor to benefit from 4k. That said I was heavily considering the C100 but the auto focus was just not good enough for me (center only). I agree that any of these hybrid cameras are not the best A cams in regards to form factor and you're right there is no step up above an XT3. You can always use them as a b cam but lenses wouldn't be compatible across the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 7:32 PM, Castorp said:

Haven’t use the video mode in anything but M and I don’t quite understand the utility. 

If I want automatic exposure in video mode I stay in M but switch ISO from manual to auto. 

I find there are more important things for Nikon to do. For example a way to declutter the display. There is no way to turn off all the info, rendering the display unusable at times. 

If you want that you do that. If what you want isn't what I want then feel free to keep doing what you do. Everyone has different priorities with a camera, what is important for one person is not important for another.

The fact remains though that having an auto mode where the min shutter is 360 degrees, and where one mode apparently does nothing different to another is completely fucking bonkers.

Yes I agree there are a bunch of foibles that need to be fixed.  It'll take a miracle for nikon to do anything other than fix them in the z6.01 or whatever the fuck they'll call it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 4:37 AM, DBounce said:

and add 10 bit internal recording... which they said would happen once CF-Express is available.

They did???? Where?? 

On 12/16/2018 at 5:54 AM, DBounce said:

Yes, they said XQD is not fast enough to support it internally, but once the much faster CF-Express cards are available they will push out a new firmware that will allow this feature. I thought this was common knowledge?

I don't understand why XQD is not fast enough??
For instance the FS7 writes 4K 60fps 10bit to XQD cards. 

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Personally I am not buying a Nikon or a Fuji anything because there is not a past camera to go to, or upward way to go as of now for video.

Only if you want to stick with the same lens mount, doesn't matter if you only adapt or rent lenses. 

But yeah I kinda agree, and is why Panasonic should have released an EVA1 MFT!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Can't really say I agree. You don't need a 10 bit monitor to utilize 10 bit, you don't need a monitor to display 15 stops to utilize an Alexa's DR, and you don't need a 4k monitor to benefit from 4k. That said I was heavily considering the C100 but the auto focus was just not good enough for me (center only). I agree that any of these hybrid cameras are not the best A cams in regards to form factor and you're right there is no step up above an XT3. You can always use them as a b cam but lenses wouldn't be compatible across the board.

I agreed. But as for lenses, if you get the Fujifilm MK zooms then you can use them on everything from that X-T3 all the way up to Sony F55 / VENICE / Kinefinity MAVO / etc

18 minutes ago, gethin said:

Yes I agree there are a bunch of foibles that need to be fixed.  It'll take a miracle for nikon to do anything other than fix them in the z6.01 or whatever the fuck they'll call it. 

Still impressive that Nikon has caught up (and arguably beat) Sony's third generation with Nikon's first generation. (sadly the same can't be said about Canon, even though they had a better running head start with their EOS-M, which will probably now be killed off in the medium term)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

They did???? Where?? 

I don't understand why XQD is not fast enough??
For instance the FS7 writes 4K 60fps 10bit to XQD cards. 

Only if you want to stick with the same lens mount, doesn't matter if you only adapt or rent lenses. 

But yeah I kinda agree, and is why Panasonic should have released an EVA1 MFT!!

 

They probably looked at how poorly the JVC LS300 was doing, even though a great concept, and said hell no. A damn camera I would have loved to see get better was the Sony VG10, 15, 30 line. I loved the form factor and size. The VG900 was probably a bridge too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

They probably looked at how poorly the JVC LS300 was doing, even though a great concept, and said hell no. A damn camera I would have loved to see get better was the Sony VG10, 15, 30 line. I loved the form factor and size. The VG900 was probably a bridge too far.

Jvc ls300 is one of the most succesful JVC cameras of later years! What did people expected from JVC?

The camera had a lot of innovative ideas but some serious flaws also.

A lot of events videographers here choose it over C100mkII or a dSLR.

VG was an interesting concept with so many flaws (mostly ergonomics) that rendered those cameras prohibitive for pro work, I know, because I did!

@IronFilm Z series is impressive for a first try. Really impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DBounce said:

More low-light testing... amazing! This camera is quite versatile. I have a feeling it will live on my motion controller for everything low-light. 

What until now I don't understand, not judging you in particular, but there are quite a lot of low light test, I guess by nw we know that we can use 6400 ISO and go to 12800 or even 25600 ISO. But no one was able to do a test with what is the real innovation of this camera and it is 10 bit log profile. That is the first test I will do with this camera when I get it start of next year, put it at 800 ISO, log, 10 bit and shoot some people and landscape. Just to know what is the ultimate quality of this camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does anyone know readout speed of z6 sensor.  I forgot just how this effects my workflow (warp stabilizer is amazing with a fast readout sensor, woeful wobbly jelly nightmare with a slow one). MY gx85 was truly terrible, the z6 is not as bad, and I was spoilt rotten with the gh5.  In fact the gh5 made me forget this could be an issue.

Got my numbers here, but z6 not on the list:http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?303559-Measuring-rolling-shutter-put-a-number-on-this-issue!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 12:33 AM, gethin said:

does anyone know readout speed of z6 sensor.  I forgot just how this effects my workflow (warp stabilizer is amazing with a fast readout sensor, woeful wobbly jelly nightmare with a slow one). MY gx85 was truly terrible, the z6 is not as bad, and I was spoilt rotten with the gh5.  In fact the gh5 made me forget this could be an issue.

Got my numbers here, but z6 not on the list:http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?303559-Measuring-rolling-shutter-put-a-number-on-this-issue!

 

Here:

https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/how-fast-is-the-z6-silent-shutter/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick update, as I've just come back from 3 days of winter camping in the mountains, and I want to share my short experience concerning battery life.
So, during 3 days with just below 0°C temperatures, I shot mainly short video sequences (around 30s) from dawn to dusk, milky way photography one night, some landscape photo in the morning and in the evening, and a lot of image reviewing. The camera stayed outside with the battery still inside it (I usually remove the battery from the camera in winter, and take it inside my sleeping bag, but not this time).

Right now, I'm reviewing all the material, and the battery indicator displays  3 remaining bars out of 5. I'm quite satisfied... with my Fujis, I would have used 3 batteries ! As usual, there is quite a gap between internets myths and real life experience !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Just a quick update, as I've just come back from 3 days of winter camping in the mountains, and I want to share my short experience concerning battery life.
So, during 3 days with just below 0°C temperatures, I shot mainly short video sequences (around 30s) from dawn to dusk, milky way photography one night, some landscape photo in the morning and in the evening, and a lot of image reviewing. The camera stayed outside with the battery still inside it (I usually remove the battery from the camera in winter, and take it inside my sleeping bag, but not this time).

Right now, I'm reviewing all the material, and the battery indicator displays  3 remaining bars out of 5. I'm quite satisfied... with my Fujis, I would have used 3 batteries ! As usual, there is quite a gap between internets myths and real life experience !

And you didn't loose all your pictures because of the Single Card Slot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...