Andrew Reid

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

1 hour ago, liork said:

In video, the AFC focus is great. And that’s from testing and not only reading in forums. In stills, AFC is not great. Yes, they have different performance. Z7/6 has wonderful face detection and object tracking in video AFC.

Yes - it's not the first time it has been suggested. Maybe AFC prioritises smoothness, which is great for video, but not great for stills if you are always a fraction of a second behind the action. I would like a Nikon that lets me ditch the DSLR for all stills photography as well as video. Let's hope they are still working on the firmware.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm just back from a winter hike in the snow, and the z6 was out to take its first freezing assault. Some observations :

• I can operate with my lightweight gloves without any problem. It is a huge plus. The touch screen works OK ; some icons on the screen are rather small, thus difficult to touch, but nothing insurmountable. I repeat, again, the screen and evf are both splendid.
  • Switching between still and video is just perfect, as a lot of people have pointed. It is so much better than what I was used to with my Fuji X-T2. For hybrid shooters, it is clearly a big plus.
  • Ibis is really good, and I managed to walk on the snow while filming, and It appears to be quite good (have to check on my big monitor). For photography, it is very good.

• I love the 24-70 f4 s. Reminds me of the great fuji kit lense 18-55 ois. I've checked for focus breathing, and can't find some (or it is so minimal that I can't see it... but I'm not an expert).
  • I don't like the two "fn" buttons on the front, near the mount. With gloves on, I barely can feel when I press them, as they are not designed like the others (without gloves they are OK).
  • AUTOFOCUS : oh, what a big big thing for me !! I love to manually pull focus (I'm still learning, and suck at it, but I enjoy learning to properly operate it), but I have entirely relied on AF for this hike. I set the AF parameters in order to obtain smooth transitions. And it is exactly as what you can see on a lot of review : its is smooooooth !! Very like manual to my eyes ; I have to be honest :  it is much better than what I can manually do :D I've used AFC to follow my girlfriend while walking, and on the backscreen it seems to do job. I'm waiting for the camera to slowly warm up in its bag, in order to transfer the files and judge on my monitor. But, when I performed close-up, with a move of the focus point on the background, then on something else, it performed flawlessly. Very smooth transition and accurate focusing with no hunting. 

For photo, I have to try serious AFC, but I know it won't be that great... and I will live with it, as it's not a priority to me.

I will try to take the time, quickly, to edit the videos and share something. By the way, is someone have tips and advices to grade Nikon flat profile ?

To sum up : I was happy with the handling of the camera, Ibis, AF in video, colours and WB. Now, I'm really really really happy, as I know it will be a great tool to operate, eaxctly as I wanted

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Why would you buy a camera that knowingly sucks for AFC? That screws you both on the Photo and Video side. What you just going to take photos, videos of a tree in your back yard with no wind?

Well, because, I guess, not everyone in the world is a "soccer mom" or Moose Petterson :D But seriously, I'm firstly a landscape photographer, so personally I don't care much about AFC in still. I shoot wildlife too, but not BIF, nor high speed running cheetahs during safaris ; more placid ibex in the mountains in winter, grazing reindeers in autumn or chasing Northern hawk owl. I shoot nightscapes too, in manual focus. As for video, mostly narrative and documentary style stuff. I'm not a vlogger or a youtuber, just an amateur enjoying taking pictures. The z6 let me do this and achieving modest results, according to my needs, that satisfies me.

14 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well it is their first effort. It is not going to be perfect even with a bunch of Firmware updates. It will take a few more generations to get up to speed.

Yes, you are right ! I know it's not as powerful as other offerings, but not too shabby for a first attempt. They've decided to port their dsrl body spirit in it, and I like that. But, unfortunately Nikon is not the champion of firmware updates... and there is a bunch of small annoying stuffs that could be solved via a firmware update (photography life has a long and interesting list for z7/z6).

59 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Yes, they said XQD is not fast enough to support it internally, but once the much faster CF-Express cards are available they will push out a new firmware that will allow this feature. I thought this was common knowledge?

Where did you see this statment?

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Why would you buy a camera that knowingly sucks for AFC? That screws you both on the Photo and Video side. What you just going to take photos, videos of a tree in your back yard with no wind?

AF problems are overblown. The video AF looks way better than competitors to me. For photos? I can count the number of times I have used AFC on one hand.

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Yes, they said XQD is not fast enough to support it internally, but once the much faster CF-Express cards are available they will push out a new firmware that will allow this feature. I thought this was common knowledge?

I think you are mistaken on that, XQD is already much faster than SD card and should easily be able to do 10 bit it is only 2 bit more and about 20-25% more data.

3 hours ago, Castorp said:

AF problems are overblown. The video AF looks way better than competitors to me. For photos? I can count the number of times I have used AFC on one hand.

I use AFC on most of the stuff I shoot. I gave up shooting trees. I talked about that in another thread. So it would be a no go for me. But for you I guess it works, and that is fine.

2 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

I think you are mistaken on that, XQD is already much faster than SD card and should easily be able to do 10 bit it is only 2 bit more and about 20-25% more data.

Who talking about SD... Check out CFExpress here. It can write 1TBs per second. Way faster than any currently available.

Just now, DBounce said:

Who talking about SD... Check out CFExpress here. It can write 1TBs per second. Way faster than any currently available.

Yep and that is the reason Nikon decided to put small buffers in the Z (mostly noticeable in the z7 than z6 in photography). Because Buffers might become nearly redundant when you can write at those speeds. But , I never saw anything about internal 10 bit., which would have been nice.

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

But who told you the Z7 can write that fast? With the fastest 400MB XQD card, the Z7 can write 250MB, so its got a hardware limit.

11 hours ago, DBounce said:

I had no idea, pretty significant news for me. 

Just a tip :

By default, the camera is set to shut down after a given delay (30s or 1min, can't remember), and goes into standby mode. I was surprised when everything went black in the middle of a long shoot ! The setting to change is in Custom Menu => C "Timers AE Lock" => C3 "Power off delay" => Standby timer. I set it to "No Limit".
The Everedy day dad has pointed it out in its review, and someone gave him the tip.

I don't know why, but since Sony makes the sensors, I suspect that the autofocus and dynamic range (including line banding and low light other issues), are things that Sony had handicapped for Nikon. As long as Sony is the manufacturers of sensors for other major manufacturers, it will either not make certain sensors available to others or have them mildly handicapped in comparison to the ones in its own cameras (A7iii vs Z6). Which is also the case with the sensors in the 1inch cameras that it makes for itself and other companies.

Maybe that's why Panasonic and Fuji are in such a hurry to move out of the Sony Sensor monopoly and Canon is still sticking with its sensors. 

4 hours ago, sanveer said:

I don't know why, but since Sony makes the sensors, I suspect that the autofocus and dynamic range (including line banding and low light other issues), are things that Sony had handicapped for Nikon. As long as Sony is the manufacturers of sensors for other major manufacturers, it will either not make certain sensors available to others or have them mildly handicapped in comparison to the ones in its own cameras (A7iii vs Z6). Which is also the case with the sensors in the 1inch cameras that it makes for itself and other companies.

Maybe that's why Panasonic and Fuji are in such a hurry to move out of the Sony Sensor monopoly and Canon is still sticking with its sensors. 

Nikon designs there own sensors. Sony is contracted to produce them. I would not be surprised to hear of this being addressed in firmware also.

4 hours ago, sanveer said:

I don't know why, but since Sony makes the sensors, I suspect that the autofocus and dynamic range (including line banding and low light other issues), are things that Sony had handicapped for Nikon.

Autofocus is not just down to the focus points on the sensor - most the heavy lifting is done by the CPU, in calculating when and where and how fast the lens needs to move. This involves ever more sophisticated software and I imagine AI and machine learning algorithms (such as face detection). Nikon is newer to the game of using both sensor PDAF and CDAF together than Sony (though perhaps it had a trial run with the N1 series?), so it doesn't seem unlikely that some firmware update might give improved performance in this area, like Panasonic did with the GH5. 

14 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Autofocus is not just down to the focus points on the sensor - most the heavy lifting is done by the CPU, in calculating when and where and how fast the lens needs to move. This involves ever more sophisticated software and I imagine AI and machine learning algorithms (such as face detection). Nikon is newer to the game of using both sensor PDAF and CDAF together than Sony (though perhaps it had a trial run with the N1 series?), so it doesn't seem unlikely that some firmware update might give improved performance in this area, like Panasonic did with the GH5. 

Yes, I’m betting that just about all the issues will be addressed in firmware. There are so many variables, it’s hard to nail everything on the first release. But once the camera is out in the wild, and in the hands of many users, the problems will come to light. At that time resources can be bought to bare to tackle any issues.