Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

They are not that heavy ( you get 3 options) and what ton of hardware does he mean?. Any rig that can handle 4k high compression video files should be able to handle RAW and even the camera media is dirt cheap if you use an ext SSD esp when compared to internal cards needed for other cameras. Also you are not forced to use RAW as it's an option.

his point is why spending so little money in a camera to shoot raw when it will cost you 5k to process it (he means computer, storage...)

 

48 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Is it compatible with the dji ronin-s?

just on comments under the video they say it is, which is great news

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

his point is why spending so little money in a camera to shoot raw when it will cost you 5k to process it (he means computer, storage...)

 

 

But It doesn't cost £5k  to process and store unless you are starting video from scratch but then you can say you need to spend extra to buy an editing machine and storage space for any camera you buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shirozina said:

This is a stupid test. DR goes down ( quite significantly) as you ramp up gain from zero ( Ramp up ISO from base) so any overexposure is going to hit highlight clipping faster - DOH!

Who in any semi-competent use of this or any camera is going to overexpose by 3 stops anyway and expect to recover highlights esp highlights in skintones? In a real world situation the clipping highlights on skintones would have been obvious from the zebras or scopes so the user would have brought the exposure down.

As ISO gain reduces DR the real world test would be a more ETTR based exposure method ( esp with RAW) and the differences between cameras and/ or ISO's would be to look at the shadow recovery.

Repeat - this is not a test that in anyway represents a real world situation to anyone competent or even remotely aware of how to expose footage correctly.

Due to the DR limitations when you move away from base ISO I just avoid it as much as possible - increase you lighting or open up the aperture or use a faster lens. The P4k has very respectable DR at base ISO but start to deviate from it and you are quickly into the kind of DR you get with a mobile phone! 

I understand your point but, I don't find this test useless as matter of fact. ETTR, that is, expose to the right is the way to go with this camera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

 ETTR, that is, expose to the right is the way to go with this camera. 

Only if what you're shooting is unconnected street or nature scenes and you're using it like a stills camera.  Otherwise, the best practice for this camera is to expose for the subject, as you would with any cinema camera.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Crazy. I hope this is why there is so much harsh highlight clipping in most of the videos I have seen. Is there an ISO200? What ISO are most people shooting? 

Both dual native 400 and 3200 ISO coupled to ETTR and you are just fine. Have no worries anymore about it : -)

20 minutes ago, helium said:

Only if what you're shooting is unconnected street or nature scenes and you're using it like a stills camera.  Otherwise, the best practice for this camera is to expose for the subject, as you would with any cinema camera.  

No complaints about, circumstances vary. It will also depend on your shooting style and last but not least, subjects to shoot for sure. Obviously. But, if you want to protect your highlights, you'll have enough DR room from your clean shadows to go on ETTR : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, helium said:

Only if what you're shooting is unconnected street or nature scenes and you're using it like a stills camera.  Otherwise, the best practice for this camera is to expose for the subject, as you would with any cinema camera.  

No the best practice is to relate the brightness range of your scene to DR of the camera and make any necessary compromises to areas that fall outside it with regards to highlight clipping and /or noise floor. You can use ETTR, histogram, false colour etc or all of them. ETTR or 'exposing for the subject' are not correct for every scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

No the best practice is to relate the brightness range of your scene to DR of the camera and make any necessary compromises to areas that fall outside it with regards to highlight clipping and /or noise floor. You can use ETTR, histogram, false colour etc or all of them. ETTR or 'exposing for the subject' are not correct for every scenario.

Yeah, well, that's a basic presumption of cinema lighting -- you light the scene.  But you expose for the subject.  If there's no lighting, then we're back to the more haphazard approach of available light stills photography, where the best compromise is sought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, helium said:

Yeah, well, that's a basic presumption of cinema lighting -- you light the scene.  But you expose for the subject.

Sorry I missed that option. When you have full control of the lighting in the scene you adjust that to best fit the DR of your chosen camera with no need to compromise on anything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Sorry I missed that option. When you have full control of the lighting in the scene you adjust that to best fit the DR of your chosen camera with no need to compromise on anything!

I'm sorry you did too.  What I didn't realize was that the 300+ pages here contemplate using this camera in uncontrolled conditions, and not shooting anything that *must* be exposed correctly and consistently -- you know, like faces.  

Perhaps there might be better camera choices for that sort of photography?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL Of course : ) Nuts now. WTH is that?? : D How have you arrived to such fine conclusion? : ))

There's no one shooting style. Yeah, right. Thanks for the information : P

Sorry for the irony. I've just found funny. Hey, I also want to apologize myself. Me included, to be here as well : -)

 

PS: A final note, though. Old school is done. Media convergence, introduction of large sensors, lightweight tools, from early last decade $100,000 to $1000 price range for S35 acquisition and so on. It is late 2018 today, folks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

LOL Of course : ) Nuts now. WTH is that?? : D How have you arrived to such fine conclusion? : ))

There's no one shooting style. Yeah, right. Thanks for the information : P

Sorry for the irony. I've just found funny. Hey, I also want to apologize myself. Me included, to be here as well : -)

 

PS: A final note, though. Old school is done. Media convergence, introduction of large sensors, lightweight tools, from early last decade $100,000 to $1000 price range for S35 acquisition and so on. It is late 2018 today, folks!

If anyone's LOL, it's BMD.  They're selling thousands of "cinema" cameras, with no run and gun conveniences, to people who'll be shooting nothing but crowds, skylines, receding tail-lights and slomo gimbal reviews.  

 

And all ETTR.  Sounds great, from the marketing point of view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, helium said:

If anyone's LOL, it's BMD.  They're selling thousands of "cinema" cameras, with no run and gun conveniences, to people who'll be shooting nothing but crowds, skylines, receding tail-lights and slomo gimbal reviews.  

 

And all ETTR.  Sounds great, from the marketing point of view.

They are even calling them 'cinema' cameras and not 'run and gun' cameras - truly sickening.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been waiting on buying a gimbal until the Ronin S is updated so the focus wheel can work with this camera - however, I just thought that since the focus on that gimbal is via the USB on the camera, and the camera then controls the focus, that likely means that adapted lenses won't be compatable... right?

If tap to focus doesn't work with a speedbooster, then chances are this 'software' follow focus also won't work. Would it then be better to get the Crane 2 as their 'hardware' / mechanical follow focus is now included for free.

Yes you'll have part of the gimbal blocking your screen, but that's far easier to work around than the Ronin's focus issues (if there are any with adapted lenses).

Or am I missing something and there's an even better solution?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...