Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

Just took off the beast Sigma 18-35 off of my camera today and Jesus christ how light the body is!! Totally forgot!

Yeah impressive. Especially considering how heavy the BMCC 2.5K used to be and the URSAs!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Has anyone tested the XLR + Phantom Power? 

I've been using it a lot and keep getting a lot of BrRrrrrRrRRRRRRBBRrBBRRRhhsshhh all over all of my audio. It's actually really anoying and hard to filter out. I've tried 4 different cables, 6 differnt mics and 2 BMD XLR adapters. The garbled noise is on all of them to varying degrees. Strangely, I have found 1 mic, a lav, that doesn't have the sound but does need 48v power. 

I can't get to the bottom of it!

EDIT: Using the same mics and cable into my Zoom does not result in the funky noise - so it must be something on the camera's end of the chain. Fingers crossed it's the type of thing that can be fixed in a software update (doubt it)

EDIT 02: When I use a lav that doesn't need phantom power, the signal is clean and there's no issue... so I just need to use mics that can power themselves... NTG4+ I guess?

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I've been using it a lot and keep getting a lot of BrRrrrrRrRRRRRRBBRrBBRRRhhsshhh all over all of my audio. It's actually really anoying and hard to filter out. I've tried 4 different cables, 6 differnt mics and 2 BMD XLR adapters. The garbled noise is on all of them to varying degrees. Strangely, I have found 1 mic, a lav, that doesn't have the sound but does need 48v power. 

EDIT: Using the same mics and cable into my Zoom does not result in the funky noise - so it must be something on the camera's end of the chain. Fingers crossed it's the type of thing that can be fixed in a software update (doubt it)

EDIT 02: When I use a lav that doesn't need phantom power, the signal is clean and there's no issue... so I just need to use mics that can power themselves... NTG4+ I guess?

That is really interesting, and alarming at the same time.

I am excited about the mini-XLR, it is a huge minus if it is not usable. 

Anyone else with this dis-function?

Maybe you should ask for a repair, or return.

3 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

My Smallrig Cage arrived today. Looks and feels really solid.

The Pocket 4k, the Cage, the Viltrox, the Battery and a Nato-Rail on top result in a weight of 1280g. 

With the Sigma 18-35mm (810g) it is around 2090g, really managable with a gimbal or a compact rig.

When did you order? I ordered mine about a month ago and not heard a thing. 

4 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Ive just done a test on mine using a Rode NTG3. Yep, with phantom power, there is a slight noise as you describe. Not really audible at 50% level but definitely audible at 90% level.

Hmmmm, not ideal!

Basic, but nice little comparison of the P4K to the UMP https://youtu.be/EmuDLGCm7As

3 hours ago, Scott_W said:

When did you order? I ordered mine about a month ago and not heard a thing. 

Yeah I ordered mine with paypal checkout october the 3rd, I received a paypal invoice but no order confirmation or tracking number yet.
Is it a normal process from smallrig?

5 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Ive just done a test on mine using a Rode NTG3. Yep, with phantom power, there is a slight noise as you describe. Not really audible at 50% level but definitely audible at 90% level.

Hmmmm, not ideal!

Basic, but nice little comparison of the P4K to the UMP https://youtu.be/EmuDLGCm7As

We/I pay thousands of $$ for my sound equipment, "a slight noise" is too much for pro sound.

So, either the XLR and phantom power circuitry is of very bad quality, or there is something wrong with the sound chain. 

I am waiting for a statement and a response from BM for the issue (obviously not right away, or here, but as the cameras increase in the wild, they have address it).

If other P4K owners can comment, please do. If is 2 so far!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

We/I pay thousands of $$ for my sound equipment, "a slight noise" is too much for pro sound.

So, either the XLR and phantom power circuitry is of very bad quality, or there is something wrong with the sound chain. 

I am waiting for a statement and a response from BM for the issue (obviously not right away, or here, but as the cameras increase in the wild, they have address it).

Yep, the slight noise is too much for me too. The P4K is a B Camera for me so I rarely need anything more than scratch audio from it but I too will be getting in touch with BMD about the issue. Not really good enough as you say.

Just out of interest, have you tried testing it while the camera is powered from the mains?

11 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Well, to be honest seems to me the most simple alternative is to use microphones without phantom power or use a small mixer to provide that... Don't expect anything else ; -)

https://www.dragonimage.com.au/saramonic-smartrig-2-channel-xlr-microphone-audio-mixer.html

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's like buying a laptop, but the keyboard doesn't work and instead of trying to fix it with the manufacturer, you just carry around an external keyboard with you.

Yes it'll work, but it it's far from ideal when you bought it as an all in one solution. If I'm recording externally, I could just as well use an GX80.

Completely agree. You shouldn't have to use a work around, a feature should work properly and it seems the Phantom power doesn't at the moment.

3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's like buying a laptop, but the keyboard doesn't work and instead of trying to fix it with the manufacturer, you just carry around an external keyboard with you.

Yes it'll work, but it it's far from ideal when you bought it as an all in one solution. If I'm recording externally, I could just as well use an GX80.

that's still good, The old pocket was almost without sound, So the improvement is definitely there ?  I'll wait for another one...again a small pocket.

I'm afraid this is a hardware problem and fw does not fix it ?

15 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

sounds like a mass problem, maybe bad electrical insulation in the bm4k ?

would be nice to test same cables with another bm4k

6 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Just out of interest, have you tried testing it while the camera is powered from the mains?

Just tried it out. The noise is quieter, but the mains introduces another issue. It now goes 'Puh----------Puh---------Puh--------Puh-------Puh------Puh-----Puh----Puh----Puh---Puh--Puh-PuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuPuPuPPPPPP

no idea if that will ever stop, I got stressed out and felt like it was counting down to something haha!

Again, this does not happen with mics that don't need Phantom Power. I found a great deal on a NTG4+ with windshield and Rycote mount online, so that's arriving tomorrow. At least this way I can continue to use it while waiting for whatever fix may or may not arrive.

• Super Members
31 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

It now goes 'Puh----------Puh---------Puh--------Puh-------Puh------Puh-----Puh----Puh----Puh---Puh--Puh-PuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuPuPuPPPPPP

no idea if that will ever stop, I got stressed out and felt like it was counting down to something haha!

Based on the that sequence, I suspect it might be counting down to offering you a refreshing Kia-Ora orange juice before the main feature presentation.

Or advising you of a delicious Indian restaurant only 70 yards from this cinema.

8 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

5 hours ago, tonysss said:

that's still good, The old pocket was almost without sound, So the improvement is definitely there ?  I'll wait for another one...again a small pocket.

I'm afraid this is a hardware problem and fw does not fix it ?

5 hours ago, thephoenix said:

sounds like a mass problem, maybe bad electrical insulation in the bm4k ?

would be nice to test same cables with another bm4k

3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Just tried it out. The noise is quieter, but the mains introduces another issue. It now goes 'Puh----------Puh---------Puh--------Puh-------Puh------Puh-----Puh----Puh----Puh---Puh--Puh-PuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuPuPuPPPPPP

Again, this does not happen with mics that don't need Phantom Power. I found a great deal on a NTG4+ with windshield and Rycote mount online, so that's arriving tomorrow. At least this way I can continue to use it while waiting for whatever fix may or may not arrive.

Trust me, I'm afraid that wouldn't be solved, with the early production units at least. To work around is the only way to accept there's no perfect tool. It is up to you to make it work as due now ; -)