Jump to content

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K


Yurolov
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators
59 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

Just took off the beast Sigma 18-35 off of my camera today and Jesus christ how light the body is!! Totally forgot!

Yeah impressive. Especially considering how heavy the BMCC 2.5K used to be and the URSAs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone tested the XLR + Phantom Power? 

I've been using it a lot and keep getting a lot of BrRrrrrRrRRRRRRBBRrBBRRRhhsshhh all over all of my audio. It's actually really anoying and hard to filter out. I've tried 4 different cables, 6 differnt mics and 2 BMD XLR adapters. The garbled noise is on all of them to varying degrees. Strangely, I have found 1 mic, a lav, that doesn't have the sound but does need 48v power. 

I can't get to the bottom of it!

EDIT: Using the same mics and cable into my Zoom does not result in the funky noise - so it must be something on the camera's end of the chain. Fingers crossed it's the type of thing that can be fixed in a software update (doubt it)

EDIT 02: When I use a lav that doesn't need phantom power, the signal is clean and there's no issue... so I just need to use mics that can power themselves... NTG4+ I guess?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Has anyone tested the XLR + Phantom Power? 

I've been using it a lot and keep getting a lot of BrRrrrrRrRRRRRRBBRrBBRRRhhsshhh all over all of my audio. It's actually really anoying and hard to filter out. I've tried 4 different cables, 6 differnt mics and 2 BMD XLR adapters. The garbled noise is on all of them to varying degrees. Strangely, I have found 1 mic, a lav, that doesn't have the sound but does need 48v power. 

I can't get to the bottom of it!

EDIT: Using the same mics and cable into my Zoom does not result in the funky noise - so it must be something on the camera's end of the chain. Fingers crossed it's the type of thing that can be fixed in a software update (doubt it)

EDIT 02: When I use a lav that doesn't need phantom power, the signal is clean and there's no issue... so I just need to use mics that can power themselves... NTG4+ I guess?

That is really interesting, and alarming at the same time.

I am excited about the mini-XLR, it is a huge minus if it is not usable. 

Anyone else with this dis-function?

Maybe you should ask for a repair, or return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

My Smallrig Cage arrived today. Looks and feels really solid.

The Pocket 4k, the Cage, the Viltrox, the Battery and a Nato-Rail on top result in a weight of 1280g. 

With the Sigma 18-35mm (810g) it is around 2090g, really managable with a gimbal or a compact rig.

When did you order? I ordered mine about a month ago and not heard a thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Has anyone tested the XLR + Phantom Power? 

I've been using it a lot and keep getting a lot of BrRrrrrRrRRRRRRBBRrBBRRRhhsshhh all over all of my audio. It's actually really anoying and hard to filter out. I've tried 4 different cables, 6 differnt mics and 2 BMD XLR adapters. The garbled noise is on all of them to varying degrees. Strangely, I have found 1 mic, a lav, that doesn't have the sound but does need 48v power. 

Ive just done a test on mine using a Rode NTG3. Yep, with phantom power, there is a slight noise as you describe. Not really audible at 50% level but definitely audible at 90% level.

Hmmmm, not ideal!

 

Basic, but nice little comparison of the P4K to the UMP https://youtu.be/EmuDLGCm7As

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scott_W said:

When did you order? I ordered mine about a month ago and not heard a thing. 

Yeah I ordered mine with paypal checkout october the 3rd, I received a paypal invoice but no order confirmation or tracking number yet.
Is it a normal process from smallrig?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Ive just done a test on mine using a Rode NTG3. Yep, with phantom power, there is a slight noise as you describe. Not really audible at 50% level but definitely audible at 90% level.

Hmmmm, not ideal!

 

Basic, but nice little comparison of the P4K to the UMP https://youtu.be/EmuDLGCm7As

We/I pay thousands of $$ for my sound equipment, "a slight noise" is too much for pro sound.

So, either the XLR and phantom power circuitry is of very bad quality, or there is something wrong with the sound chain. 

I am waiting for a statement and a response from BM for the issue (obviously not right away, or here, but as the cameras increase in the wild, they have address it).

If other P4K owners can comment, please do. If is 2 so far!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

We/I pay thousands of $$ for my sound equipment, "a slight noise" is too much for pro sound.

So, either the XLR and phantom power circuitry is of very bad quality, or there is something wrong with the sound chain. 

I am waiting for a statement and a response from BM for the issue (obviously not right away, or here, but as the cameras increase in the wild, they have address it).

If other P4K owners can comment, please do. If is 2 so far!

Yep, the slight noise is too much for me too. The P4K is a B Camera for me so I rarely need anything more than scratch audio from it but I too will be getting in touch with BMD about the issue. Not really good enough as you say.

Just out of interest, have you tried testing it while the camera is powered from the mains?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Has anyone tested the XLR + Phantom Power? 

I've been using it a lot and keep getting a lot of BrRrrrrRrRRRRRRBBRrBBRRRhhsshhh all over all of my audio. It's actually really anoying and hard to filter out. I've tried 4 different cables, 6 differnt mics and 2 BMD XLR adapters. The garbled noise is on all of them to varying degrees. Strangely, I have found 1 mic, a lav, that doesn't have the sound but does need 48v power. 

I can't get to the bottom of it!

EDIT: Using the same mics and cable into my Zoom does not result in the funky noise - so it must be something on the camera's end of the chain. Fingers crossed it's the type of thing that can be fixed in a software update (doubt it)

EDIT 02: When I use a lav that doesn't need phantom power, the signal is clean and there's no issue... so I just need to use mics that can power themselves... NTG4+ I guess?

 

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

We/I pay thousands of $$ for my sound equipment, "a slight noise" is too much for pro sound.

So, either the XLR and phantom power circuitry is of very bad quality, or there is something wrong with the sound chain. 

I am waiting for a statement and a response from BM for the issue (obviously not right away, or here, but as the cameras increase in the wild, they have address it).

If other P4K owners can comment, please do. If is 2 so far!

 

Well, to be honest seems to me the most simple alternative is to use microphones without phantom power or use a small mixer to provide that... Don't expect anything else ; -)

https://www.dragonimage.com.au/saramonic-smartrig-2-channel-xlr-microphone-audio-mixer.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's like buying a laptop, but the keyboard doesn't work and instead of trying to fix it with the manufacturer, you just carry around an external keyboard with you.

Yes it'll work, but it it's far from ideal when you bought it as an all in one solution. If I'm recording externally, I could just as well use an GX80.

Completely agree. You shouldn't have to use a work around, a feature should work properly and it seems the Phantom power doesn't at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's like buying a laptop, but the keyboard doesn't work and instead of trying to fix it with the manufacturer, you just carry around an external keyboard with you.

Yes it'll work, but it it's far from ideal when you bought it as an all in one solution. If I'm recording externally, I could just as well use an GX80.

 

that's still good, The old pocket was almost without sound, So the improvement is definitely there ?  I'll wait for another one...again a small pocket.

I'm afraid this is a hardware problem and fw does not fix it ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Has anyone tested the XLR + Phantom Power? 

I've been using it a lot and keep getting a lot of BrRrrrrRrRRRRRRBBRrBBRRRhhsshhh all over all of my audio. It's actually really anoying and hard to filter out. I've tried 4 different cables, 6 differnt mics and 2 BMD XLR adapters. The garbled noise is on all of them to varying degrees. Strangely, I have found 1 mic, a lav, that doesn't have the sound but does need 48v power. 

I can't get to the bottom of it!

EDIT: Using the same mics and cable into my Zoom does not result in the funky noise - so it must be something on the camera's end of the chain. Fingers crossed it's the type of thing that can be fixed in a software update (doubt it)

EDIT 02: When I use a lav that doesn't need phantom power, the signal is clean and there's no issue... so I just need to use mics that can power themselves... NTG4+ I guess?

sounds like a mass problem, maybe bad electrical insulation in the bm4k ?

would be nice to test same cables with another bm4k

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Just out of interest, have you tried testing it while the camera is powered from the mains?

Just tried it out. The noise is quieter, but the mains introduces another issue. It now goes 'Puh----------Puh---------Puh--------Puh-------Puh------Puh-----Puh----Puh----Puh---Puh--Puh-PuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuPuPuPPPPPP

no idea if that will ever stop, I got stressed out and felt like it was counting down to something haha!

Again, this does not happen with mics that don't need Phantom Power. I found a great deal on a NTG4+ with windshield and Rycote mount online, so that's arriving tomorrow. At least this way I can continue to use it while waiting for whatever fix may or may not arrive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
31 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

It now goes 'Puh----------Puh---------Puh--------Puh-------Puh------Puh-----Puh----Puh----Puh---Puh--Puh-PuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuPuPuPPPPPP

no idea if that will ever stop, I got stressed out and felt like it was counting down to something haha!

Based on the that sequence, I suspect it might be counting down to offering you a refreshing Kia-Ora orange juice before the main feature presentation.

Or advising you of a delicious Indian restaurant only 70 yards from this cinema.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's like buying a laptop, but the keyboard doesn't work and instead of trying to fix it with the manufacturer, you just carry around an external keyboard with you.

Yes it'll work, but it it's far from ideal when you bought it as an all in one solution. If I'm recording externally, I could just as well use an GX80.

 

5 hours ago, tonysss said:

 

that's still good, The old pocket was almost without sound, So the improvement is definitely there ?  I'll wait for another one...again a small pocket.

I'm afraid this is a hardware problem and fw does not fix it ?

 

5 hours ago, thephoenix said:

sounds like a mass problem, maybe bad electrical insulation in the bm4k ?

would be nice to test same cables with another bm4k

 

3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Just tried it out. The noise is quieter, but the mains introduces another issue. It now goes 'Puh----------Puh---------Puh--------Puh-------Puh------Puh-----Puh----Puh----Puh---Puh--Puh-PuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuhPuPuPuPPPPPP

no idea if that will ever stop, I got stressed out and felt like it was counting down to something haha!

Again, this does not happen with mics that don't need Phantom Power. I found a great deal on a NTG4+ with windshield and Rycote mount online, so that's arriving tomorrow. At least this way I can continue to use it while waiting for whatever fix may or may not arrive.

 

Trust me, I'm afraid that wouldn't be solved, with the early production units at least. To work around is the only way to accept there's no perfect tool. It is up to you to make it work as due now ; -)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...