PSA: Don't buy any gear! NAB 2017 is One Week Away

andrgl

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Yeah looking boring so far but remember... it doesn't start proper until Monday.

And leaks usually don't start to appear until the day before.

However I am not that hopeful for much excitement on the camera side. Sony probably won't come with an A7S 3 just yet... Panasonic probably won't come with much as GH5 still fresh... Canon probably asleep and Nikon probably doesn't even know NAB is on :)

6 hours ago, buggz said:

The new affordable Sound Device offerings look appealing to me also.

Speaking of NAB news, is there a favorite site for summaries, etc?

I check my favorite forums (such as this one! And jwsoundgroup), plus a few news sites such as newsshooter and redsharknews

Between all of those, I pretty much have everything covered. 

(plus I have my guilty pleasures of reading 43rumors/Sonyalpharumors/nikonrumors frequently)

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yeah looking boring so far but remember... it doesn't start proper until Monday.

However I am not that hopeful for much excitement on the camera side. Sony probably won't come with an A7S 3 just yet... Panasonic probably won't come with much as GH5 still fresh... Canon probably asleep and Nikon probably doesn't even know NAB is on :)

A7SIII to be announced in June after preorders for A9 at shipped. 

Doubtful that they announce something big tomorrow

10 hours ago, buggz said:

The new affordable Sound Device offerings look appealing to me also.

Speaking of NAB news, is there a favorite site for summaries, etc?

The Mix Pre 6 ($900) looks like a nice upgrade from the Zoom F4 ($650): https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-6 (MicPre-3 only has 3 inputs- can't use for 4-channel Ambisonic 3D recording, which is what I use the F4 for). The extra $250 is for the analog limiters (amazing!), build quality, and excellent sounding preamps (not just quiet- also a very full sound; though couldn't find a review for the new Kashmir preamps).

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

This! ?

On 16/04/2017 at 11:00 AM, jagnje said:

2.5k micro cinema camera is all I wish for.

Why not 4K?

On 16/04/2017 at 4:47 PM, wolf33d said:

If A6500 AF sucks then GH5 AF is the suckiest thing ever.

I see... If.

Because if otherwise, I see you haven't followed the threads on topic, I also see ;-)

34 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I hope somebody finally releases some decent budget single focus anamorphic lenses. At a sub 2K pricepoint per lens or something. 

Anamorphics are significantly more complex than spherical lenses in their construction, whilst also having a more limited market - which means an anamorphic at that price point is unlikely for quite some time; or at least at a quality that anyone would find acceptable.

It's hard to come by even decent spherical lenses for too much less than $2k each, so I don't know how you'd expect anamorphics to be available at that price point...

I've been waiting for the NAB announcements before purchasing a 4K camera for my anamorphic needs. My BMCC and BMMCC are great but need to be able to scale 4K down to 2K to avoid sacrificing resolution. And personally, I'm not entirely convinced the GH5 is for me. I want ProRes HQ at a minimum. So if BMD doesn't offer up a new compact 4K cinema camera at their press conference tomorrow, I'll likely pick up the old BMPC 4K on ebay. I see them going for as little as $1200. and its 1.7x crop would let me use my Leica 35mm Summicron as a taking lens. damn, now I'm really considering it. Why didn't I think of this sooner? :)