Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My thoughts:

I don’t really get how people are upset that 8k raw overheats...why are you looking at a small mirrorless camera if you need long captures of 8k raw to begin with? Buy a real cinema camera. I think everyone is forgetting what this camera is and what was asked of Canon. Everybody is getting mad at canon for giving us what the majority of people asked.

People wanted a canon mirrorless camera that was full frame with amazing IBIS, dual pixel autofocus, high megapixel count for photos , and could shoot 4K 4:2:2 10 bit uncropped, with a swivel screen. So, they did that. They did exactly that and more. So then they thought, well we could give them a full raw 8k readout of the sensor and have them record as long as they can before it overheats, better than holding it back. Also, we can throw them 4K 120 as well and also have them go as long as they can before we max out. I mean, might as well give them everything the camera can do, instead of just not unlocking it and having the magic lantern folks do it for us, right? 

So they threw in some crazy bonuses nobody was asking for and here we are, people bitching. The camera everyone wanted is here. The full frame autofocus beast with great IBIS, 10 bit, no crop, and great at photos true hybrid by canon is here and we are upset. Are we complaining that they have the overheating numbers written down? Because there is no way It’s a shock that 4K 60p 4:2:2 10 bit with dual pixel autofocus will overheat near the 40 minute mark...or are we surprised that 8k raw in a mirrorless full frame with IBIS engaged, dual pixel autofocus,  and no crop in a small mirrorless overheats? I mean, what are we mad about here? 

This is the camera that everyone wanted. There are several frame rates and resolutions that Canon threw in that will be very useful within the limits of this specific camera and yes they have limits, but at least they are unlocked and not behind a magic lantern hack like the old 5D. As someone that shoots an equal mix of photography and video, this is a dream camera. I get a high megapixel camera and high quality video, with all of canons special sauce including their great autofocus and colors. I see no mention of limits for standard 4K 24p and 35 minutes of continuous 4K 60 is more than what I need. If it’s not for you, than that’s fine - keep waiting. 

There is so much negativity in the world right now, that I’m honestly not surprised that Canon finally doing something good gets shit on. I expect nothing less at this point. 

5 minutes ago, crevice said:

There is so much negativity in the world right now, that I’m honestly not surprised that Canon finally doing something good gets shit in. I expect nothing less at this point. 

Amen brother. For so many...too many, the glass always seems half empty and the focus is on what they have not been given.

There is always going to be some kind of compromise whatever choices you make.

just my 2 cent…

…the year is not really the best for many filmmakers nor photographers and I remember that 12 years ago, after the financial crisis, a small change (film - digital) was forced relatively quickly.

A technical purchase, no matter which one has to be worthwhile for a filmmaker. These Investments should pay off itself. I find the specs of the camera interesting, but I don't see that any of my clients would be willing to take the risk neither myself of using a camera with such „overheating is 1 tiger example“ issues. Especially now that we are shooting again after the Corona shutdown, my clients want like experimenting much less than they did 1-2 years ago. Even when I suggest the Sony venice for projects, I often hear - let's take a Alexa, because we know what we have. I don't think it will behave any differently in the "prosumer" segment. Not a good time to test real-world 8K overheating files with unexpectable difficult workflows.

This seems like a nice addition to Canon’s R series but i have to agree with Andrew that many things here do seem quite wrong. At least according to my own needs i can’t see this camera fitting any shooting scenario.

It seems like a camera that was designed to work like a RED Monstro but only for 20 minutes per session. I can’t imagine a shooting session where 8K DCI recording is needed but overheating is not an issue at all.

In hotter environments (and our planet has become quite hot lately) this translates to roughly 10 minutes of shooting. And we are talking about a combo that costs over 7.000 bucks if you count in a native lens plus some CFexpress cards. This feels like an OM Magic Lantern implementation to me (yep i have taken that route too).

I can’t blame Canon for trying to deliver a nice prosumer camera but i feel that this Full Frame - Infinite K madness is leading the industry away from our actual needs. There is more than enough tech around for any company to build a nice APSC camera with proper AF, IBIS, 4K DCI, decent autonomy and nice ergonomics. Who needs more in this price range (2000-4000$) after all?

7 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

I can’t blame Canon for trying to deliver a nice prosumer camera but i feel that this Full Frame - Infinite K madness is leading the industry away from our actual needs. There is more than enough tech around for any company to build a nice APSC camera with proper AF, IBIS, 4K DCI, decent autonomy and nice ergonomics. Who needs more in this price range (2000-4000$) after all?

You are right Δημήτρη. Probably Fuji will build this aps-c camera (with great colour science) in the form of the X-H2. The suitable sensor for that is already available by Sony. Nevertheless they do need some decent video glass that will not be ridiculously overpriced , a very Canon-like future of Fuji pricing.

16 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

How can anybody trust it for paid work with this problem?

It is unworkable on set.

Imagine telling the entire crew and actors to go and sit down with a cup of tea for 20 minutes while the camera cools off?

No wonder Canon does not consider the EOS R5 specs to cannibalise the Cinema EOS series.

This guy's reply said it best:

Easy. Bring a second camera. 

My main worry is the DR and highlight rolloff, but nobody is letting this cat out of the bag right now.
All the video's so far have bad looking DR, shirts, faces with blown out parts. Amazed nobody is talking about that, prolly still busy counting all those pixels or running around in the desert trying to overheat the camera...

37 minutes ago, gatopardo said:

Anyone knows if it does have the 4k crop zoom function? 1:1 pixel readout? This is a very handy feature of some cameras as 45 mpix would allow it.

Also, the pixel shift photo function? Does it have?

Both very important to my work

It does all that and then some.

Pixel shift has new options allowing bokeh defocussing etc

I'm not looking for an answer to all my prayers, more a good and easy b-cam for the Ronin-S.

Perhaps the R6 and Ninja V are the way to go. Good autofocus and 4K 60P prores in c-log. 

With the R5 overheating, I'm not so worried about record times... it's more if I'm forced to shoot in the blazing sun, which happens. I've had my 3d printed focus gears fall off my lenses from heat expansion before 😂

I might get an R6 as a stopgap towards the Komodo. Very different cameras but both fulfil the brief for a Ronin-S cam.

The S1H second hand is a lot cheaper than this, you'll find them for 2700 USD or so.

It has an internal fan, all anamorphic modes you could think of, VLOG. External recording for boosted settings, but plenty of good internal ones including a 6K mode for big plates. Excellent colour and DR, it's wonderfully usable.

The only down sides are shit autofocus and the battery life could be better. The stills are amazing too.

It doesn't yet have raw recording because something is up behind the scenes, but it's designed to work as a pro camera, and is the model of how a hybrid camera should work, for me.

If you want a balanced hybrid for professional use, it's the best all-round choice right now. If you want raw for cine-style use with a bigrig, there's the Sigma FP which is phenomenally specced.

The new Canons look like more of the usual "we can't make this too good or no-one will buy our camcorders" rubbish from Canon. Same old same old, looks great on paper before it's released (cue ridiculous YouTuber wide mouth wide eye infantile thumbnails) and turns out to be hobbled in order to make you buy a more expensive model.

They want you to buy a C300 MK iii. It's where all their great new tech is, including their own version of the Arri dual-gain architecture.,

Fuck em.

1 hour ago, mrtreve said:

I might get an R6 as a stopgap towards the Komodo. Very different cameras but both fulfil the brief for a Ronin-S cam.

I found the Ronin S struggling sometimes with an S11H and a native lens, it's usable with a small old prime and Nucleus Nano... but I think you'd have to rig the Komodo light. Komodo body only is about the same weight as the S1H.

One guy on a FB group had burned out two sets of Ronin S motors with an S1H too, so with the Komodo being a similar weight do be careful...

23 minutes ago, jgharding said:

I found the Ronin S struggling sometimes with an S11H and a native lens, it's usable with a small old prime and Nucleus Nano... but I think you'd have to rig the Komodo light. Komodo body only is about the same weight as the S1H.

One guy on a FB group had burned out two sets of Ronin S motors with an S1H too, so with the Komodo being a similar weight do be careful...

I use the ronin s with the 1dx iii and 24-105, 50 1.2, 16-35 2.8 and 24 1.4 with no problem even from boats or even mounted on mountain bike

2 hours ago, gatopardo said:

Anyone knows if it does have the 4k crop zoom function? 1:1 pixel readout? This is a very handy feature of some cameras as 45 mpix would allow it.

Both cameras have movie crop mode to support APSC glass but the pixel counts don’t suggest a 1:1 cutout will fit APSC circle so there may be some kind of scaling/binning/skipping instead - unlikely that you’ll be able to enjoy 1:1 readout with your Sigma 18-35. We’ll see

1 hour ago, mrtreve said:

Perhaps the R6 and Ninja V are the way to go. Good autofocus and 4K 60P prores in c-log. 

A benefit of the R5/6 is their ability to record 10 bit internally. If I need a Ninja to get useful files off it I may as well stick with R+Ninja+ speedbooster

6 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Good time to buy a used EOS R. Very cheap and no overheating 

Comparing it to the R6, the R Classic has ALL-I, true 24p, (vs IPB 23.98p), 4K 1:1 readout for APSC, or 4K FF with Metabones (plus the speed booster’s benefits), 28ms rolling shutter vs 31ms of 1DXIII sensor, mini HDMI (not R6’s micro), lighter for a gimbal, 30 megapixel stills vs 20mp, £1000 cheaper (used) and it doesn’t overheat. Same colour science, same log. But it lacks 60p in 4K, the improved IBIS, and the improved autofocus of the R6. I don’t use slomo so I’m really not sure whether it’s worth the upgrade for me as the R’s DIS works well and the autofocus is already blazing. It’s the IBIS I’m interested in: 8 stops is gimbal-like, and destroys any rolling shutter artefacts. Need to see more footage....