-
Posts
4,334 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Articles
Everything posted by MrSMW
-
That is exactly it; so many of us wanted the FP and would have bought or kept the FP if only it had been a little more useable and that is going to be one of the, if not the biggest key(s) to it’s success. Yes some folks want to rig stuff out but the kind of people that are looking at FP’s tend to be single camera purists not film crews making big productions. Some folks made and continue to make the OG FP work, but the majority of us voted with our wallets. I really hope Sigma get this right this time, not for the masses, but for their market. It won’t and can’t have all things, but I hope it has the key ones and that for me is IBIS & tilt. For me, they could keep everything else the same, but those 2 things are the deal sealers for me.
-
Could do as Panasonic are not Sigma’s master…but I don’t think it will have all the features of an S1ii, but no IBIS would probably be a deal-breaker for me as it would need to have a superb level of digital stabilisation for my needs. I don’t know about others, but I’m not one for rigging stuff out and so few OIS L Mount lenses.
-
An FP with the S1ii sensor, tilt screen and IBIS for me would be done deal. Before the S1ii/S1Rii came out in basically a modified S5ii chassis…which I don’t mind, I had hoped and would have preferred the cine style body of the FX3. I tested and loved the concept of the FP-L but just too many compromises. I got why Sigma didn’t make a mainstream camera but at the same time, you have to have certain stuff or it will hurt sales. As far as I am aware, the FP has never been anything but a low selling cult camera. I don’t think a new model would change that scenario that much but surely at least addressing a couple of key areas is going to help in that regard. If this new camera is an FP2 and if it has certain features, I don’t think it would be enough for anyone to be chucking away whole systems to go over to, but for those maybe already in L Mount or for folks that only need one camera, it could be viable. It has to be a bit more than an S9 though…
-
Quite possibly, ie, an 'FX30 competitor' except full-frame with the FX3 'competitor' next year as the 'S1H2'. I'm struggling to see where anything from LUMIX would fit in as the S5ii, S1ii and S9 already exist and it's too soon to replace even the oldest of these plus it would be direct competition and hurt sales of these existing models surely? UNLESS it's a stills orientated camera, but even then... So I am sticking with Sigma, DJI, Black Magic as the most likely candidates with the former two being the strongest contenders IMO. I wouldn't expect Leica to be popping out a dedicated 'cine' camera and this thing is most likely to be that by the sounds of it, or at least heavily orientated as with the Nikon ZR...and they definitely do not need a competitor from within their own ranks for their M, SL and Q cameras. But what do I know and all pure speculation!
-
I meant to also say not as such, but I am (always) looking at ways to introduce character into my files over adding anything in post. I am currently in the process of considering a new photo camera and in doing so have mused over so many options and one of the options is going low megapixel. When I say low, I mean around 12mp and still FF, so not quite loooooow quality. In fact not ‘low’ quality at all, but more ‘character’ and by character, I’ve been thinking about the most challenging year in my career which was when I spent most of an entire season shooting weddings with a single OG Fuji X100 with it’s fixed lens, single card slot and 12mp sensor. That thing was slow as fuck compared with what came later, never mind more current models, but the files… They were the closest SOOC to analogue I have ever come across. A few years later, I bought a used one to check that I had not imagined it and yup, that magic was still there. But could I go back? To that specific camera? Hell no, but I would recommend it to anyone who likes the idea of shooting film who wanted to stay digital. I have thought about getting another and whipping it out to do some ‘artistic’ stuff but as a hybrid shooter spinning enough plates already, decided against and instead looking at other options to achieve ‘character’ the principal one being glass. The only issue with that really is character mostly comes with older glass and that doesn’t tend to autofocus or does so very badly adapted with one of several manual to autofocus adapters…so that’s not working for me… The best I have come up with so far then is the Sony ZVE-1 (12mp and fantastic AF) with the Thypoch 24-50mm f2.8 (internal zoom!) that they say has rendering between a modern clinical lens and a cine lens and has a coating that seems to lower contrast and invite flaring. It could be the 2026 version of the 2011 Fuji X100 that would not be utter madness to shoot as a one & done… And it does video!
-
I’m fortunate that I am all in with L Mount but currently 1 camera body short… One of my S9 ‘B’ cams had an issue mid season and I worked around it with my EDC L10 for a few jobs and despite the quality of the output (it is the GH7 sensor after all!) it’s not suited for my needs. That second S9 was going to cost more to fix than another used one, so I’ve re-purposed it as a photo camera for my daughter. So a camera body short, season over, 6 months to the next one, just sold the L10, the gimbal and 3 lenses and twiddling my thumbs… My ideal is a ZR/FX3 body with the ZR screen on the fully articulated mech of the S1Rii and ideally the sensor from the S1Rii and cheaper than the FX5. Not asking for much then…😂 But seriously, the timing of this could be good for me as though I am considering a different photo camera, I would ideally keep it all in the same system for lenses and batteries and, well everything really. I need either: 4 video units and 1 photo or 3 video units and 2 hybrid (as I currently have less 1 defunct video unit) So I am interested in either a more photo-orientated camera but in a more rangefinderesque body style à la ZR/FX3/FP, or a hybrid in this body style. I don’t much care about the branding so it could be LUMIX, Sigma or DJI, or even Black Magic for photo, but ideally LUMIX for video as baking in my LUT is part of my workflow. I don’t see BM making a stills-orientated camera and I’m not sure LUMIX are going to pop out an FX3 style body just yet so most likely a new Sigma or DJI and of the two, maybe DJI most likely as it has been rumoured for a while? It will be interesting at the very least to see if it meets my needs, but if not, I’ve already got my options planned… I’m going to guess in most likely order: 1. DJI 2. Sigma 3. LUMIX 4. Black Magic 5. Leica
-
Super cool. The only thing that I don’t like is the lack of stability, so I guess I like ‘the look’ more than anything. I’d never use any ‘retro’ camera myself, but I like the concept and idea of it. Keep pushing Kye!
-
…according to the smoke signals coming from the Dolomites. It isn’t the successor to the S1H, but what remains to be seen… Options: A. A bit too soon for an S9II surely? B. A photo-oriented version though maybe? C. A new Sigma, next gen FP/L? With a faster sensor, tilt screen and IBIS, that would be ossum. D. A Leica ‘Q3’ with interchangeable lens mount? E. DJI enters the arena with a non gimbal, non flying camera? Speculate below!
-
Hard to say really other than at the time, it was easily the best ‘raw’ footage I was getting out of any camera and I am pretty sure that log vs log, no baked in LUT, it would stack up with any contemporary full frame L Mount. Opinion rather than fact. It was and still is such a great bit of kit. In terms of my use case, the S1Rii is better (AF, bake in a LUT, IBIS) but build and handling, the S1H. Otherwise, a new L Mount camera is supposedly coming next week and a successor to the S1H some time in the first 1/2 of 2027, but we’ll see… The L10 was only ever intended as an ‘EDC’ for me and I didn’t expect it to really work in my working environment and that use case was only really because one of my S9’s had stopped working . I was…and still might, picking up another S9 for the 2027 season but no rush and interested to see what else comes along in the next 6 months…
-
10 mins max? I only ever test these things in real world scenarios so no stop watches etc... 30+ Celsius. Usually direct sunlight which must add what, another 10 degrees? Why da fuck did they insist in making these things black?! Sorry, but it was never going to be that. I'd still have it today if I could bake in a LUT...
-
Ah, I miss the 70’s… These days your high school friends tend to get shot with 9mm.
-
The tagline needs to be, “make a movie while looking like a tourist”. From what I saw, the quality (in the right hands) is pretty insane. My own iPhone 13 Pro is getting close to retirement and probably will be replaced in 2027…
-
Sony a7r VI (Mark 6) - an a1 beater for $2000 less
MrSMW replied to Andrew - EOSHD's topic in Cameras
I am currently taking a good hard look at the V… Not the A7RV that I had, but the more recent V for vanilla, as in none-R, the 33mp one. As a pure stills camera. In a direct comparison between the A7RV I had and the S1Rii that I currently have, bodies only, nothing in it. The Sony has more megapixels which gives more latitude to punch in allowing shorter focal length lenses plus even better (more accurate) AF and is smaller & lighter with battery life and the S1Rii counters with…well with what actually…?? ’Something’ I can’t quite put my finger on… It’s only slightly behind in the above factors and the only thing I can come up with that I prefer over the Sony is, “I prefer using it”. But…and this is the big one and the above confirms it even more, there are quite a few bodies that do what I need them to do, but very few lenses. As things stand, I’m not going to jump immediately, but my primary tool for next year is going to be based on a specific lens, or at least something very much like it and that lens is the Sony 50-150 f2. I can’t quite get past it. It is the perfect outdoor lens for my line of work. Yes I wish it was smaller and lighter but that is it’s only compromise. The cost isn’t because for business use, it’s not that big a deal. But, it’s E Mount only so native on Sony or adapted on Nikon. The more recent A7V beats the A7RV for me as it’s; better in low-light, even faster and more accurate AF and I prefer 33mp when I don’t need to crop so aggressively. There is nothing else from Sony that would work for me as a body. Nikon, I had the ZF and with primes and smaller zooms it’s fine, but with the 50-150 adapted, it would be trash to use, especially as there is no battery grip and I prefer the A7V/S1Rii style fully artic screen. Ditto ZR. And there are reports of banding in certain lighting conditions. If it had a mech shutter and the type of rear LCD I prefer, I’d be all over it. Z8? Could get away with no battery grip and it’s an option… Z9? Prefer it over the Z8 and could be an option… But with both of the latter, there have been reports of this specific lens, the 50-150, not working quite as well as it does natively… And then the final piece of this particular puzzle is the fact that is not a fact but could become a fact, that from within the L Mount alliance, someone pops out a rival lens to the 50-150… No signs but a patent went in a few years ago apparently for a longer focal length to the Sigma 28-45mm f1.8 which was I believe for a 45-90 or very similar. That would do it for me as keep me in the L Mount alliance for all my needs because with the S1Rii I could just about punch in for my needs. So you have 6 months L Mount Alliance to come up with something and it MUST be internal zooming and MUST be f2 or faster and ideally, basically the existing 28-45mm f1.8 in longer focal length such as 45-90 and then we’re good. Because if not, I will almost certainly be chopping in one of my S1Rii’s for either a Sony or a Nikon plus 2 lenses. For video though, all the other (4) bodies and lenses will remain LUMIX/Sigma because as things stand. A. They are unbeatable for my needs. B. The cost to change would be hideous and if that change was sideways at best, what would be the point? The simplest answer to all this is make that fucking lens Sigma. You have 6 months to get it on the market. 7 months at a real push because if there is no sign of it within 4-5 max, I will be jumping ship for all my stills photo needs. -
Agree and if they ever come out with a longer option such as a 70mm or even am 85mm and manage to keep it f2/2.5, they would make for a great little set. 20/40/70 would be really superb! They make less sense if you are already invested in the f1.8’s which are hardly large and pretty light.
-
Side 100%. Can’t stand tall stuff! I’m rebuying the battery grip for one of my S1Rii’s because it’s just a bit too unwieldy with the Sigma 28-105 f2.8, especially in portrait orientation where having that shutter trigger button is a boon. That lens is only on the camera 20-25% of the time but it makes sense to just keep the battery grip on at all times for the constant familiarity in handling even with smaller & lighter primes plus it would be faff to keep switching. On the other S1Rii, I have the Smallrig half cage which is basically just a base plate with a side rectangle that is supposed to protect any cables, but has 3 threaded holes. Just a case of attaching the thingy that holds a P4 to that left side and then simply have it in the horizontal plane when I want to capture some gimbal video whilst shooting stills plus the ability to flip it to the portrait mode the rest of the time when I want to shoot social media BTS BS. Also much easier workflow than shooting open gate and having to frame for both 16:9 and 9:16 in the same shot and sort through all that footage. Less kit, less BS, better workflow.
-
The single biggest issue is that operating the thing one handed is not great and one handed is the only way to also shoot stills at the same time. The answer is to primarily shoot stills two handed and have the video unit attached to the photo unit and in that regard it needs to be small and operate on its own mini gimbal. Et voila, the Pocket series and its rivals. I also need a better BTS and quicker social media option so again, better tool for the job.
-
And… …selling it. It’s been a decent stills experience but less so video. From the stills perspective, it takes nice pics but back to the same old dilemma I always have and that is the best camera I have with me at all times is always going to be my phone and it’s a PITA to carry 2 devices. On the video side if things, it worked well enough on the gimbal but operating the gimbal as a one man band hybrid shooter is as much a PITA as that ever was so selling the RS4 mini also and replacing both, ie the gimbal and the L10 with a Pocket 4P. Also, in the static role, overheated in literally no time in the type of environment I typically work in and at not much difference in size to an S9 with a small lens, which despite not having a fan, is surprisingly durable. More so than my S1Rii’s I *think*. I have not tested the latter but as my S1Rii’s have overheated in a static role multiple times and my S9 never has… Anyway, L10, I wanted to really like it, but it’s not cutting it for work purposes (never really expected it to as than as D cam at best) and can’t really be bothered as an EDC and with hindsight I shouldn’t have bothered, but hey, we sometimes need to try to find stuff out. Anyone want to buy a lightly used L10 in the UK?!
-
I was on the verge of selling my 18mm f1.8 in order to pick up the Sigma 20mm f1.4, just to keep things in alignment with the rest of my new all Sigma lineup, but… Despite this new boy looking quite interesting and Viltrox also supposedly dropping their own 20mm f2.5 next week, I’ve decided to just keep the 18mm f1.8 for financial reasons whilst keeping my OCD in order. Not really a fan of anything wider than 28mm but do have a use case for something 18/20, but not worth splashing any real cash on as in the Sigma 20 f1.4 and the trade in on the LUMIX 18 is less than retail on this new f2 20. So nah. But very interested for an S9ii as at the conclusion of this season for me, I have decided to drop the L10 and pick up another S9 next Spring, but if an S9ii comes along in the mean time, I might go for that depending on the cost as S9’s are now stoopidly cheap.
-
You are not wrong https://camerasize.com/compact/#624.667,922.1253,ha,t Take something like the A7RV and add a non-extending zoom such as the Thypoch 24-50mm f2.8 and though still not pocketable, an insanely good little beast. E Mount just has the best options when it comes to glass and as an L Mount user, it’s damn frustrating looking over that wall!
-
I am now officially all in with purely Sigma glass. Unless if I manage to get my LUMIX 70-200mm f4 fixed (the OIS and entire functionality of the lens is currently kaput due to dropping it). The 20, 35 & 85 f1.4 dg dn are my holy trinity for hybrid work. The 28-105 f2.8 has also started pulling duty in this specific role at certain times, but I do need to re-buy the battery grip I just purchased, decided I did not need and sent back...only to decide I did need it. My two primary video workhorses are the APSC 17-40mm f1.8 and the full-frame 28-70 f2.8, the latter being good and the former an absolute gem. If I can't get that 70-200 fixed though, I think I will just have to bite the bullet on that ugly Samyang 35-150 f2/2.8 but it will just sit on a tripod in a static role and all my 'creative' lenses are from Sigma. The only Sigma lens I don't have but crave, is the 28-45 f1.8, but I simply do not have a space for it in my lineup, but if it ever gets a longer focal length sibling such as a 45-90 f1.8 with internal zoom, I may need to revisit that scenario as that would be a dream pairing for my kind of work.
-
I wanted one not rigged so the lack of a tilt screen (I know there is a DIY fix) but mainly the lack of IBIS, killed it for me. The L version made it hugely interesting for stills and with the better AF, even more so, but the loaner Sigma France sent me showed banding in mixed low light and I couldn’t get passed that. The S9, also e shutter only, suffers from the same. The equivalent Sony & Nikon ZR type cameras don’t have this issue as far as I am aware. Fingers crossed for a third gen FP that addresses some of these things. If not all. It would be a killer camera for me. S1Rii still has the best overall internal spec for my hybrid needs. Sony the best lenses. Nikon the best body (ZR) and size of rear LCD, but hate that it’s a flip out. Mash ‘em up and call it an FP-L-II and take my money.
-
Ditto. Sadly too many compromises for me... I really hope they work on something new though as their lenses are 👍 and I use them exclusively now. I have a feeling they won't bother though with stuff like the ZVE1, ZR, S9 available (and hopefully S9ii in the near future).
-
I wonder if it will ever get the 'Red-lite' raw codec 'everyone' wants... If that ever happens, what a fucking camera it would be.
-
Same year, same colour. Also 2x S9 (though my red one, the audio no longer works after I dropped it) + 3 other LUMIX bodies and 11x L Mount lenses...except I am giving away one of them, another is broken (dropped that also!) and 4 are being sold. Ditto and my workflow is much better for that and actually, I genuinely like the SOOC look I am getting from my specific set up so all good. Even better with the S1Rii as it works in full-frame 50p 🙂 These really are awesome tools to have and my only gripe is there still isn't a lens to match the Tamron 35-100 f2.8 or Sony 50-150 f2. Yes I know there is that tub of lard Sausage 35-150mm f2/2.8 but nah. It would almost be worth it for me to flip systems next year just for that 50-150... I'd like to see a 'Nikon ZR' version of the S1Rii with the rear LCD mech also off the S1Rii, but possibly wishful thinking territory now...
-
Definitely the best value of it’s kind… For not much more than 500€£$, what it’s capable of is nuts! It’s only real Achilles heel for me is the build. Mine is in the XLCS cage so it’s like Robocop visually, but that does’t change the rear LCD, buttons or dials. I’m not one for chasing the next gen camera for the sake of it, but for real world upgrades that would make a genuine difference. Bring in the S9ii…
