Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

16 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

I am sure we will see a lot of this kind of solution over the internet in the next weeks, a dedicated cage with one or two fans is on its way for sure.

This won't really help since the heat is trapped inside the body of the camera - and unlike a typical computer/case fan, such a fan can't blow the hot air out of the camera body.

You'd need to do some serious body modifications (i.e. drill holes into the camera's housing) to install an active cooling system.

- And another issue: Even before the camera shuts down from overheating, internal temperature will rise and potentially degrade the image (since sensors produce more image noise when their operating temperature increases). When recording raw, this becomes much more visible than with conventional video codecs in prosumer cameras where the cameras use black shading and noise filtering to compensate this effect. Because of this, practically all raw video cameras have strong (in most cases: active) cooling systems.

Well, at least we now know why Canon and RED weren't worried that the R5 and the RED Komodo (which uses a lot of Canon technology including the lens mount and DPAF) would cannibalize each other.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd say taking their 23 degrees remark, it is prone to variably help I believe. It is worthy... I don't know if you've already realized there's no other similar camera for under more than a few 5 digits... this one is for a fraction of such price! Now add your EF glass or buy some affordable out there for a few hundred of bucks and let's have a perfect camera in hands ; -)

19 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I'd say taking their 23 degrees remark, it is prone to variably help I believe. It is worthy... I don't know if you've already realized there's no other similar camera for under more than a few 5 digits...

Really? What about the Sigma fp for under 2000, or the Panasonic S1H with external Raw?!? 

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I'd say taking their 23 degrees remark, it is prone to variably help I believe. It is worthy... I don't know if you've already realized there's no other similar camera for under more than a few 5 digits... this one is for a fraction of such price! Now add your EF glass or buy some affordable out there for a few hundred of bucks and let's have a perfect camera in hands ; -)

I don't really know what any of that means but the "variably" stands out.

That the recording limits are variable is my worst nightmare!

At least with a set and certain 30 min limit you know the score on a shoot. You know how much you can roll, and when to take a break.

With it being obviously influenced by ambient temperature, often the limit could be anything between 10 and 30 minutes.

There is no predictability.

It's a disaster.

52 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I don't really know what any of that means but the "variably" stands out.

That the recording limits are variable is my worst nightmare!

At least with a set and certain 30 min limit you know the score on a shoot. You know how much you can roll, and when to take a break.

With it being obviously influenced by ambient temperature, often the limit could be anything between 10 and 30 minutes.

There is no predictability.

It's a disaster.

A concern, yes, I meant if there will be any way to reduce the overheating, hence to be variable. I believe if there will be some upcoming accessory to keep the temperature under control we might have something here to extend its usability. The idea seems promising to me : )

53 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

Really? What about the Sigma fp for under 2000, or the Panasonic S1H with external Raw?!? 

Great devices, but they don't offer you the same specs... ; ) Without mention the compatibility with our glass arsenal ready for. It seduces me to only change body rather than my whole system : -)

Interesting reading and pics to illustrate the whole crazy concept BTW:

https://usermanual.wiki/Orion/Orion52095UsersManual497745.728215350.pdf

(in the right time for our engineer? @BTM_Pix ; )

Another workaround as someone has already joked here with is to buy a 2nd unit... : D In the US, they will cost you EUR 3455 each ; -)

The REAL story is that the r6 is the camera to get. That alone beats the s1h for the PRICE. 

10 bit interal, 60p, Log, ibis and DPAF. End of story.  This overheating issue is a distraction as the people who are spending that much money on an R5 will know what they are getting into. If you are shooting 8k raw or 4k 120p for interviews, god help you. The r5 was never going to be the camera for you. But if you are just shooting clips and stock footage travelling it will be fine.

You can wait for the Sony but it will not beat the r6 on PRICE, nor will it touch the r6 in the IBIS department - which judging by the footage is immense and Olympus level. 

But I get that it is very easy to poo poo canon. Neumann is right, they should be celebrated for what we have been given. 

1 hour ago, rawshooter said:

This won't really help since the heat is trapped inside the body of the camera - and unlike a typical computer/case fan, such a fan can't blow the hot air out of the camera body.

it will help, this was already tested with the A6300, I remember a guy who built a cage with a vent just in the back of the A6300 and was able to shoot for two or three hors without overheating.

Granted he is outdoors and it's summer but...

Here's a "review" by Vistek. They only had the R5 and R6 for two hours but he couldn't get to testing 8k video before the camera overheated (4:50). Take a look at the LCD panel while he's got the camera in video mode. A flashing red thermometer is seen in multiple clips.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

A concern, yes, I meant if there will be any way to reduce the overheating, hence to be variable. I believe if there will be some upcoming accessory to keep the temperature under control we might have something here to extend its usability. The idea seems promising to me : )

yes, we will see those upcoming accessories to keep temperature under control, but why I am going to spend $4k for a camera that needs an accessory to be probably reliable, no way, the smart choice is the R6, if there is no overheating issues, anyway, I will wait for reliable tests on both canons and the new Sony and make a smart choice based on that.

13 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

The REAL story is that the r6 is the camera to get. That alone beats the s1h for the PRICE. 

10 bit interal, 60p, Log, ibis and DPAF. End of story.  This overheating issue is a distraction as the people who are spending that much money on an R5 will know what they are getting into. If you are shooting 8k raw or 4k 120p for interviews, god help you. The r5 was never going to be the camera for you. But if you are just shooting clips and stock footage travelling it will be fine.

You can wait for the Sony but it will not beat the r6 on PRICE, nor will it touch the r6 in the IBIS department - which judging by the footage is immense and Olympus level. 

But I get that it is very easy to poo poo canon. Neumann is right, they should be celebrated for what we have been given. 

Woof. 

15 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Totally agree, R6 route is the path to follow, anyway, I will wait first to see the new Sony, but as soon as I see that zombie crappy skin tone I will press the Botton on the R6.

2 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

yeah real intelligent. 

You were gushing like a fan boy and talking out of your ass, I'm not sure what you expected. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sony doesn't need to match the R5. If they can put out a camera that doesn't overheat and is reliable then they've already beaten Canon, specs be damned. It's not a high bar, regardless of what your fandom tells you. 

2 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

You were gushing like a fan boy and talking out of your ass, I'm not sure what you expected. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sony doesn't need to match the R5. If they can put out a camera that doesn't overheat and is reliable then they've already beaten Canon, specs be damned. It's not a high bar, regardless of what your fandom tells you. 

Nice reading comprehension buddy lol. I clearly said the r6. I could care less about the r5. People that want to bash the r5 just have an axe to grind like you. 

The r6 is everything we have been asking for and beats every camera out there and yet crickets. Destroys the xt4 in nearly every respect and I remember what kind of audience that camera got on this site lol. You're a joker mate.  

9 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Nice reading comprehension buddy lol. I clearly said the r6. I could care less about the r5. People that want to bash the r5 just have an axe to grind like you. 

The r6 is everything we have been asking for and beats every camera out there and yet crickets. Destroys the xt4 in nearly every respect and I remember what kind of audience that camera got on this site lol. You're a joker mate.  

You said that Sony won't release anything better than the R6, which is a really dumb thing to say given we know virtually nothing about the A7sIII. And you're acting like the S1H and the Z-Cams haven't been out for months. 

Not being blown away by these cameras, one of which seems to have serious problems pre-release, doesn't mean I have an ax to grind, it means I have common sense. But go off, man. CANON RULZ! 

8 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

You said that Sony won't release anything better than the R6, which is a really dumb thing to say given we know virtually nothing about the A7sIII. And you're acting like the S1H and the Z-Cams haven't been out for months. 

Not being blown away by these cameras, one of which seems to have serious problems pre-release, doesn't mean I have an ax to grind, it means I have common sense. But go off, man. 

You really have issues reading, don't you? I said that the Sony won't beat it for the PRICE. No way the A7sIII is in the range of $2,500.00. It also won't beat it in terms of IBIS performance. 

I repeat the xt4 example where Andrew was gushing over that camera despite the crap ibis and autofocus. Yet here we are with a far more capable camera in the r6 and - crickets. Instead everyone is talking about overheating on a camera that people shouldn't get and is irrelevant for most.    

58 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

10 bit interal, 60p, Log, ibis and DPAF. End of story. 

Yeah the R6 has always seemed the more likely purchase for me - I want to love it, especially from what we’ve seen of the IBIS, but where do you guys stand on the lack of ALL-I? In my 18 months with the R, I found the IPB was noticeably worse than the ALL-I. So for me this may not be an upgrade without compromise, especially if the rolling shutter is not improved. I’m not sure it’s the end of the story until we get to see real world footage.

This thread is insane. All this over a chart without any actual tests.

I remember buying the a6300, a7s2 and a7r2 despite the internet overload about overheating, single card slots that no professional would ever use, 8-bit 4:2:0 video with blotchy zombie skin tones, crop on everything that's not 24p, only 4k30p and so on. I live in Florida and never had any issues despite using it on a gimbal all the time in the sun and shooting longer takes, it doesn't take much to swap batteries or turn the camera off when not in use, or not leav it sitting out in the sun all day. I took them to Africa on safari shooting thousands of frames and hours of video, also took them to Dubai, Egypt and Israel in August when it was upwards of 125f. Now we have a camera that shoots 8k raw, 4k120fps with amazing AF, class leading IBIS and can even shoot 45mp stills with bursts of 130 raw images or infinite jpegs if that's your thing, and its trash because you can't shoot an entire wedding in one take?

Wow.

Can't wait for the shitstorm with Sony's cripple hammer on the a7s3 and the pendulum to swing back to the R5/6 and how "I can work around the issues, its worth it for raw and 120p." This reads like a Sony Alpha rumors post.

LOL!