Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

3 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

If the battery quits, you lose the file - the same with the new firmware.

One of the reasons it's only worth using original Canons - better life and the only accurate readout.

What @Anaconda_ was saying, and what my experience has been as well, is that the camera does NOT corrupt the file when the battery dies. Rather, it successfully closes out the file before shutting down. 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There are two ways to deal with a power failure - either write the file continuously in such a way that if power is lost you can recover the file (or at least all of it except the last few seconds) or to monitor the power and when you're about to shut down then close the file nicely.  

Considering the issues around detecting battery levels with third-party batteries it would be great if they could just make it so that the files were all recoverable.  That way it would work when something else goes wrong, like there's a problem with the card, the camera crashes, someone disconnects the media unexpectedly, or whatever.

My first digital audio workstation, designed in 1991-92, bought in 93, was coupled to a Intel 80286 PC. When you just pulled the plug out of the PC, the audio & recording just went on&on without failure. If you pulled the plug out of the DAW itself, the files where there, intact, up to the very moment the power was pulled. Never one corrupted file. 

Now, if that was possible in 1993 ...

Sometimes I wonder in which school modern day programmers learnt their trade.

It is my understanding a RAW recording cannot get corrupted in the P4K, as it is written frame by frame. Are we talking about prores here everybody ?

3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

In my case, I was recording ProRes. Great that other people are experiencing the same as me. Obviously, its best to just never run out of battery, but sometimes, these things can happen.

I haven't lost recordings either. The times that the battery depleted during recording the files were alway there and working after a automatic camera shutdown.

4 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

My first digital audio workstation, designed in 1991-92, bought in 93, was coupled to a Intel 80286 PC. When you just pulled the plug out of the PC, the audio & recording just went on&on without failure. If you pulled the plug out of the DAW itself, the files where there, intact, up to the very moment the power was pulled. Never one corrupted file. 

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was a Soundscape ?

2 hours ago, dslnc said:

I haven't lost recordings either. The times that the battery depleted during recording the files were alway there and working after a automatic camera shutdown.

Same here, when battery dies randomly, I still have an intact perfect file saved when camera is turned back on. 

Also so got my Tilta cage set yesterday! Beyond happy with it, looks great, feels great!

2 hours ago, Turboguard said:

Same here, when battery dies randomly, I still have an intact perfect file saved when camera is turned back on. 

Also so got my Tilta cage set yesterday! Beyond happy with it, looks great, feels great!

show us!

40 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

I forgot to order the Tilta T5 holder but my 8sinn works just as good for now. 

B11DBD7F-9FE7-4E51-87D4-7283F5B0CB7A.MOV

Half cage is pretty cool!

the 8sinn seems fine. If you were buying Tilta, would you get the ssd holder that fits just above the screen?

The SSD cable is from the 8sinn implementation?

What do you think about the HDMI adapter?

I didn't know they were still people packets of cigarettes in this world (joke)!!

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Half cage is pretty cool!

the 8sinn seems fine. If you were buying Tilta, would you get the ssd holder that fits just above the screen?

The SSD cable is from the 8sinn implementation?

What do you think about the HDMI adapter?

I didn't know they were still people packets of cigarettes in this world (joke)!!

I would probably buy the SSD holder if I came across it readily in stock. I don’t mind the 8sinn for now, I’ve never in my life accidentally pulled the cord out while shooting, and am confident that I won’t at the moment.

The hdmi adapter is great, I do wish there was one for the mini xlr as well but don’t know how that would work. 

And YES! Haha, I do not like those vapes. 

Yeah I'm continually impressed by just how nice stills you can get out of the P4K. I was visiting my parents and filmed their kitten a bit - she's more agile than mercury so trying to take actually catch her in focus for a photograph is kinda impossible. Especially if you're dicking around with a 1.2. Much easier to pull out a still from a video clip. Viiru_1_175.1.thumb.jpg.cbba42c8b1f7e266c27bb78b55750a47.jpg

Nice stills.

I'm confused as to why in the first place anyone would have thought that RAW 12MP stills wouldn't be any good.  I mean, we regularly see great looking compressed 4K stills, or even 1080 stills.

53 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

They look more filmic than the video does. Interesting.

Because a lot of people still don’t know how to color video correctly. They slap on some adjustments to one frame of the shot and then move on to the next. I see it all the time. Working with the stills is easier as you only have that one frame and then, working with say ACR, makes it, again, so much easier. 

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

They look more filmic than the video does. Interesting.

5 hours ago, Turboguard said:

Because a lot of people still don’t know how to color video correctly. They slap on some adjustments to one frame of the shot and then move on to the next. I see it all the time. Working with the stills is easier as you only have that one frame and then, working with say ACR, makes it, again, so much easier. 

as Turboguard said I'm still struggled with colour a whole video correctly. Before this camera my workflow is pretty much slap on a decent lut => tweaked a few thing and deliver. My goal this year is to try to up my colour skill.  

This is a video that I did while strolling the street of Melbourne. The sound is actually the on board mic since I din't expect such a performance