Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

23 hours ago, mercer said:

And this is exactly what I find ridiculous about what the “dslr revolution” turned into. I am fairly certain that the owner of that rig could have just gone out and bought an FS5, an Ursa Pro, an EVA1 or a C200 and saved some money and pride. When I had the Micro, I hated myself for rigging it up this much...

Even if they'd used an EVA1/FS5/C200 then odds are high the final rig would still look almost very similar overall. 

21 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah missing is a big word. Curious how much they can tweak it. As other cameras would have nice skintones straight out of the camera. From all camera release videos canon nailed it with their original c300 video by vincent laforet, that really looked like a film. This is not quite in the same ballpark. And yeah the c300 was 10 times as costly but its also an old camera by todays standards. 

I reckon if that was posted now in 2018 then we'd still be seeing people rip mercilessly into it!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

If you're waiting for a camera that shoots uncropped 1080p from a 4k sensor I've got some bad news for you...

Very true.

But I thought the only crop was at 120fps 1080p, but below something like 100fps or so, the full width of the sensor is used to downsample to 1080p?

16 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

If you're waiting for a camera that shoots uncropped 1080p from a 4k sensor I've got some bad news for you...

Haha, no I’m not waiting for that but I could see how you might think it by my post. My point was I don’t need 4K Raw right now. So even though 1080p Raw would be a crop of the sensor by nature, since I don’t need or want 4K Raw right now, then the inherent crop is a negative of the camera for me. Although I may be interested in 4K Raw with B-Raw... if implemented.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Even if they'd used an EVA1/FS5/C200 then odds are high the final rig would still look almost very similar overall. 

I reckon if that was posted now in 2018 then we'd still be seeing people rip mercilessly into it!

Indeed. Here's another one ; -)

28 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

First Bluetooth app for iPhone. BMD have an official app for iPad, but this is the first I could find for phones.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bluetooth-for-blackmagic/id1376947780?mt=8

Also, here's some actual real world night footage. Ungraded and it looks pretty amazing to me. Lots you could do with it.

Yes, this is the kind of footage I've been waiting for! Think it looks fantastic, except the issues coming from the person handling the camera that is. Very impressed!

• Administrators
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yup, Areia Creations definitely did not shoot this! They just came up with their own remix, and then pulled a video edit out of the original music video which I'm  sure was shot by someone else. 

Well the best artists steal I suppose.

And I totally see the logic giving a demo unit to someone with 55 subscribers.

derek.jpg

3 hours ago, seanzzxx said:

Sorry, I forgot to write the word 'RAW' in my message (I've edited it now). Because that's really the key:

You cannot downsample in RAW. The Pocket will shoot downsampled 1080P in Prores (up to 80fps I believe?) and will only crop at the absolute highest framerates.

Yes you can downsample RAW. How do you think the 5DMarkIII is able to shoot full sensor 1080p raw?  Pixel binning is a very valid way of downsampling RAW images.  If you have to, you can also line skip which will of course create some artifacts, but Pixel Binning is very usable.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

But are we not considering that maybe it's possible the camera was his pre-order, or the fact that he was director, actor, and producer for a few films in Hong Kong?

I hoped you were past all that since you decided to go with the X-T3, guess not ?

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nobody has their pre-order yet. It'll be December for most of you.

You're probably right about him not receiving a pre-order, but the guy does have a few feature films in Hong Kong, maybe that was his ticket?  Either way, he's got camera, and we dont make those decisions... ?‍♂️ Your post make it seem like you'd be happy if no one get's the camera because you didn't.

Anyway, It's your site, I'll leave you to it. No more responses from me on the matter.

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nobody has their pre-order yet. It'll be December for most of you.

I guess next week we will have some more news, I doubt it will be december. Hoping to get my hands on one in octobre. As I did not pre-order ;'(
But in my case it will be the best B-Cam choice by far. (allthough when the 5D IV ML works, then I might need to change my mind, but as of now the progress it too slow because there are not that many testers)

On 9/16/2018 at 7:30 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Yes the codec's great, but nobody seems to be considering the whole package here, because there's no IBIS, no EVF, autofocus performance is yet to be proven, the battery life is miserable and the files will be VERY large at their highest quality.

You have to measure the EXACT difference in the final graded image between BRAW on this, and something like 10bit LOG on the X-T3.

I think for all the codec niceness the difference will be smaller than people think. Now ask yourself if it is worth the hassle of the strange form factor, no articulated screen, need to rig it up with EVF, external bits and a stabiliser...

True. But I am not only looking at specs. It all comes down to subjective needs -

My reason is simple I have a g80/81/85 and I was between buying an external 4k prores recorder or upgrade my camera to another with more robust internal codec and data rate. Preferably 10bit. And not unimportant (to me) reducing the rig size.
In the beginning of the year there were 2 (in my reach) - gh5 and gh5s. The low light performance of the gh5 kept me hesitating (not a big enough upgrade for me) and the gh5s pricing well ( in sony FF space )
Then shortly after this lovely (on paper) BMPCC4k got announced which checked all my (important) boxes. Similar ( pure speculation ) low light performance to the gh5s included.
And now the Fuji Xt3 is making an entrance. (and im sure many other will follow...well...probably not canon)

But I will not cancel my preorder (no. 3 on the list from my vendor ). The DNG raw is not a must for me. The prores is.
However with the release of BRAW that might change. It kinda set a new milestone to me. Datarates are presumably in prores space. And the fact that it is multiplatform and open to all to integrate into their software is big in my opinion. Not like prores that is mac first.  If BRAW  is prores smooth to work with then it is so much more interesting for me. The other camera producers are at least one generation behind now (if it work outside the press release ?)

I guess for my use, whatever the AS73 may offer, I probably will be fine with pocket4K (if it delivers)

It is also sensor-limited. We're not talking about a sensor as good as the X-T3 or A7 III. And the slow-mo is an even bigger crop.

Sure, like i.e the Red Scarlett etc. Would have been nice to avoid that big a crop. But for me not a dealbreaker.
Since the glass I have is m43, 43 and omd the mft sensor plays nice with me.
I would love a sony FF. But for my use and needs for the moment this will make more sense to me. 

Sure, I liked what ProRes and RAW brought to the image with the last Pocket camera, certainly in the creamy shadows and in low light.

But it was as good in 10bit ProRes as it was in Cinema DNG RAW.

So 10bit H.265 at the same bitrate as ProRes with Fuji F-LOG from a larger BSI 6K sensor with full pixel readout (possibly Samsung) has the potential to be just as good if not better.

Not to mention the fact it is much easier to go full frame on the S35 sensor with a Speed Booster than to turn the Pocket 4K sensor into no-crop.

I remember your article some 5 years back ago comparing h265 10bit and prores444 the latter having 100x bigger file sizes with perceptually no difference in quality (great article btw) 
I know it is not that simple since licensing and silicon and heat dispersion power consumption etc has to be taking into account. But options has been on the market for a while. Makes you wonder why basically only Samsung in the day embraced that codec.
I do find prores much smoother to work with than h264 in 4k/uhd. H265 without hardware acc decoding must quite challenging.

16 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Indeed. Here's another one ; -)

Ha! The good old 1D C and C500. 

Yeah, they're awful. Look at the noise in the image!

And the motion cadence. Ugh.

And the colors. Ugh. 

And that highlight roll off. Ugh. 

Of course the way forums are....  no one can tell if I'm being serious or sarcastic ?

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well the best artists steal I suppose.

derek.jpg

And 54 of those subscribers came along after he uploaded the new BMPCC4K footage! :-P 

A UK store just told me that they're not expecting the camera until early October now - but may just be taking a cue from B&H ? They refused to be clear if that was for preorders or for new customers.

A Dutch store still expect a shipment in September, but are unsure of a date, and how many they'll receive.

Another Dutch store has closed their preorders.