Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Yurolov said:

sareesh got a copy

Who the hell is this guy?! 

I am feeling @Andrew Reid 100% but let's be the wiser forum and move on!

I was considering keeping my hybrid NX system and buying this one for specific projects and what not (incredible deal coupled with the editing license), but after all the new releases throwing 10bit on bigger sensors and 10bit H265 (X-T3) I am sceptical if it really worths the 2000+euros (accessories, batteries, media e.t.c) investment for a project or two per year. 6 months ago was the deal of the century, right now, not so much, especially if someone (Panasonic? Sony A7s? Nikon?) give some kind of external raw. 

I do not want to sound blasphemous, but a lower price may be more appropriate for 2019.

• Administrators

This totally undermines what Blackmagic told me, about reviewers with a blog not getting a unit yet.

Props to Wolfcrow though.

How come they are not ready to ship yet with so many final units out there and even the box is finished?

Don't paying customers deserve to have the first units?

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

This totally undermines what Blackmagic told me, about reviewers with a blog not getting a unit yet.

How come they are not ready to ship yet with so many final units out there and even the box is finished?

You're totally right on that complaint. Pure BS. This is what bothers me. Honesty is mandatory. This kind of lies are easy to unveil. They become ridiculous with their faint excuses, only inflame more the common sense.

Manufacturers want a global launch in most cases for a product, which means ALL distributors in all markets need to have stock on hand. There's a step in between getting the product boxed and actually having thousands of those boxes shipped around the world.

*Edited to make the language a bit less harsh.

41 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

While I kinda agree, but then again 10 units or something is nothing compared next to the 10000's preorders that are shipping next week. And at this point I think everybody is already convinced of the pocket 4K, so these first impressions are kinda useless I think, unless you have a lot of followers on your youtube channel who do not follow any camera news/forums.

29 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

Manufacturers want a global launch in most cases for a product, which means ALLdistributors in all markets need to have stock on hand. I don't understand how people don't see the fact that there's a step in between getting the product boxed and actually having thousands of those boxes shipped around the world.

This works a bit like a movie in the theatres. You want to spread it and reach the many viewers as possible or you'll lose the loop and hype. Especially when other competitors are around the corner to look for your audience.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I was considering keeping my hybrid NX system and buying this one for specific projects and what not (incredible deal coupled with the editing license), but after all the new releases throwing 10bit on bigger sensors and 10bit H265 (X-T3) I am sceptical if it really worths the 2000+euros (accessories, batteries, media e.t.c) investment for a project or two per year. 6 months ago was the deal of the century, right now, not so much, especially if someone (Panasonic? Sony A7s? Nikon?) give some kind of external raw. 

Totally agree! If the p4k cane out a few months ago it would have been a no brainer. Now it's hard to justify the cost of a dedicated video camera when the hybrids have improved so much.

I've also suddenly jumped back on the fence. I've come to the conclusion though, that the only thing the XT3 offers me over the P4K (in my usage, yours may differ) is an infinitely better stills mode.

The XT3 is also more expensive and I'd have to replace my lenses, so it doesn't make sense for me to change my mind. 

Add on the new RAW codec in a few months and I'm more than happy. It makes it a 'better' camera than the one I pre-ordered 6 months ago, at no extra cost. (It's incredible that they're adding that, when other companies charge extra for log mode)

For holiday snaps that will never be printed, I think the stills from BMD will be adequate. Certainly better than my phone. if not, I'll still have my trusty gx80 for stills and I can use all my lenses. 

Not sure what this adds to the thread.

12 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

The XT3 is also more expensive and I'd have to replace my lenses,

If I got the xt3, I could sell my nx1, whereas with the p4k I'd need a stills camera as well. All my lenses are Nikon and canon, so I just need some adapters for the Fuji, whereas I'd need a speed booster for the p4k. So in my case, the xt3 is actually considerably cheaper!

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

For sure, it doesn't make sense otherwise. Like @John Brawley BRAW are trademark of their own : D

For sure it will be free? Because I’m not so sure. At a certain point we need to question what BM’s end game is here. This idea that they are for the little guy doesn’t pay their bills. Somebody posted that Olympus loses $150 for every camera they sell in the US... well at BM prices, how much are they losing? Is this just a way to get the user to an upgrade path? Are they only making a little per unit, so they are relying on quantity sold to make their profit? Are they going to release a better Resolve next NAB that makes the studio version antiquated?

In the end, it doesn’t matter much because the price of the P4K is still unbelievable and is the best deal on the market, but I think there may be some assumptions floating around. Good news is that the investment isn’t that large and BM doesn’t really drop the price of their cameras, so the resale value should hold up pretty well if the tool isn’t for you.

19 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well IF BRaw gets implemented in the P4K, I believe he said they are working on it, do we know for sure it will be a free update?

That's true, but since its their own codec, it doesn't make sense to hold it back from their own customers. Especially since it's open for other manufacturers to use. I'd say its 100% going to be implemented, and 99.9% it'll be free.

1103813109_ScreenShot2018-09-16at19_09_25.thumb.png.45abf4e9a0bd8cc449cb02aef4a2179b.png

8 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

If I got the xt3, I could sell my nx1, whereas with the p4k I'd need a stills camera as well. All my lenses are Nikon and canon, so I just need some adapters for the Fuji, whereas I'd need a speed booster for the p4k. So in my case, the xt3 is actually considerably cheaper!

Nice. I mean, we could all sell stuff to offset the cost of any camera. Just like we all have our own lenses and accessories that only work with one system so it makes sense to stick to that system. I was just thinking about it myself and the only this the Fuji really has for me that the BM doesn't is the photo mode, which to me doesn't warrant the extra price, especially considering lenses etc. even if I did sell off all my current gear. It's much more stress too, I hate selling on the 2nd hand market, people here are cheapos.