Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

So 10bit H.265 at the same bitrate as ProRes with Fuji F-LOG from a larger BSI 6K sensor with full pixel readout (possibly Samsung) has the potential to be just as good if not better.

But will be much more processor intensive during editing. ProRes plays back crazy smooth very easily, but 10 bit h.265 at these datarates will require a more powerful system.

22 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Now ask yourself if it is worth the hassle of the strange form factor, no articulated screen, need to rig it up with EVF, external bits and a stabiliser...

And then ask yourself if those are things you need ūüėĄ¬†

EDIT: ^^ and it seems like you'll be rigging the Fuji anyway haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It would be wierd if Blackmagic can't implement BRAW on the Pocket 4K.  They have been developing BRAW for the past 2.5 years so maybe longer than the Pocket 4K has been in development (or maybe not) but for sure there was a significant amount of time when they were both being developed in parallel.  How could they designs a camera and not plan and test the components for compatibility before for finalizing the design?  This is such a key feature that will increase the volume of sales to make of the lack of margin due to the low price of the Pocket 4k that it would a serious engineering error if BRAW does not make it on to the Pocket 4k.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am looking forward to all the "Pocket" rigs again

ūüėā

DSCF0302.jpg

And this is exactly what I find ridiculous about what¬†the¬†‚Äúdslr revolution‚ÄĚ turned into. I am fairly certain that the owner of that rig could have just gone out and bought an FS5, an Ursa Pro, an EVA1 or a C200 and saved some money and pride. When I had the Micro, I hated myself for rigging it up this much...

0AFC9226-3951-436F-808D-66A95D62CF74.jpeg

3953AA20-E994-4D49-8589-75A658A5BF88.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grant Petty has already said there will be an update for the P4K.

5 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

It would be wierd if Blackmagic can't implement BRAW on the Pocket 4K.  They have been developing BRAW for the past 2.5 years so maybe longer than the Pocket 4K has been in development (or maybe not) but for sure there was a significant amount of time when they were both being developed in parallel.  How could they designs a camera and not plan and test the components for compatibility before for finalizing the design?  This is such a key feature that will increase the volume of sales to make of the lack of margin due to the low price of the Pocket 4k that it would a serious engineering error if BRAW does not make it on to the Pocket 4k.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

It would be wierd if Blackmagic can't implement BRAW on the Pocket 4K.  They have been developing BRAW for the past 2.5 years so maybe longer than the Pocket 4K has been in development (or maybe not) but for sure there was a significant amount of time when they were both being developed in parallel.  How could they designs a camera and not plan and test the components for compatibility before for finalizing the design?  This is such a key feature that will increase the volume of sales to make of the lack of margin due to the low price of the Pocket 4k that it would a serious engineering error if BRAW does not make it on to the Pocket 4k.

 

 

 

 

They probably will but a little skepticism isn’t the worse thing in the world. I believe I am buying a camera based on the definitive given specs, if I get anything more out of it, then great, if not then I knew what I was buying... which was an issue with the Micro when it was released with the lack of global shutter that was promised at announcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes the codec's great, but nobody seems to be considering the whole package here, because there's no IBIS, no EVF, autofocus performance is yet to be proven, the battery life is miserable and the files will be VERY large at their highest quality.

You have to measure the EXACT difference in the final graded image between BRAW on this, and something like 10bit LOG on the X-T3.

I think for all the codec niceness the difference will be smaller than people think. Now ask yourself if it is worth the hassle of the strange form factor, no articulated screen, need to rig it up with EVF, external bits and a stabiliser...

It is also sensor-limited. We're not talking about a sensor as good as the X-T3 or A7 III. And the slow-mo is an even bigger crop.

Sure, I liked what ProRes and RAW brought to the image with the last Pocket camera, certainly in the creamy shadows and in low light.

But it was as good in 10bit ProRes as it was in Cinema DNG RAW.

So 10bit H.265 at the same bitrate as ProRes with Fuji F-LOG from a larger BSI 6K sensor with full pixel readout (possibly Samsung) has the potential to be just as good if not better.

Not to mention the fact it is much easier to go full frame on the S35 sensor with a Speed Booster than to turn the Pocket 4K sensor into no-crop.

Yeah Im a sucker for the fuji colour science. But braw is an different beast entirenly then prores(those raw sliders sure are sweet), and prores is already far better then h264 or h265 in the editing room. So codec wise the pocket will win hands down and will win you time in the editing room. 

This footage of the x-t3 is not that bad. But it seems to be missing something colorwise, not sure what but those skintones dont look that pleasing. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they were just being artistic,  but having multiple dead people in product video is bit of a first to my recollection.  That said the skin tones of the living were too muted for my tastes regardless of the artistic intent.  In the comments the author said that it was not the final color grade and may not even the final edit once Fuji gets a look at the content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

This footage of the x-t3 is not that bad. But it seems to be missing something colorwise, not sure what but those skintones dont look that pleasing. 

It totally missed tonal differentiation, plus trying to desaturate  colors to the max extend just makes thing even worse... Look at conclusion shot with titled "coming soon... skint tones on faces are exactly as yellow as wall of the house, stone fence or dusty planks... All at all, at least very strange choice for A Memento of life :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that video looked impressive, and extremely impressive when you consider it was shot on a 1500 dollar camera, but it also looks to start falling apart slightly, especially in the skintones. That just happens when you grade 10 bit footage this hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

I thought that video looked impressive, and extremely impressive when you consider it was shot on a 1500 dollar camera, but it also looks to start falling apart slightly, especially in the skintones. That just happens when you grade 10 bit footage this hard.

The lighting and production value are excellent and this might give the video the positive edge. But if you look at the daylight wide shots It does not look cinematic at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah Im a sucker for the fuji colour science. But braw is an different beast entirenly then prores(those raw sliders sure are sweet), and prores is already far better then h264 or h265 in the editing room. So codec wise the pocket will win hands down and will win you time in the editing room. 

This footage of the x-t3 is not that bad. But it seems to be missing something, not sure what. 

 

 

Crap, for some reason I thought that video was going to be Ursa footage. When I saw Fujifilm X at the end of the video, my jaw dropped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Hmm the colour looks off, not the faault of grrade nooooooo :)

Well this video sure will have costed plenty of penny's on director, dop, location, actors,... in those cases you naturally asume they also had a decent grader :)
But apparantly its a rough color grade, well see how much they can improve it as Nick's other video's are looking far superior :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

 

 

 

 

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

This footage of the x-t3 is not that bad. BÔĽŅut it seems to be missing something colorwise, not sure what but those skintones dont look that pleasing.ÔĽŅ¬†

I think it goes pretty far beyond "not bad". And yes it's "missing something colorwise" - the grade. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...