Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

On 9/16/2018 at 7:30 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Yes the codec's great, but nobody seems to be considering the whole package here, because there's no IBIS, no EVF, autofocus performance is yet to be proven, the battery life is miserable and the files will be VERY large at their highest quality.

You have to measure the EXACT difference in the final graded image between BRAW on this, and something like 10bit LOG on the X-T3.

I think for all the codec niceness the difference will be smaller than people think. Now ask yourself if it is worth the hassle of the strange form factor, no articulated screen, need to rig it up with EVF, external bits and a stabiliser...

True. But I am not only looking at specs. It all comes down to subjective needs -

My reason is simple I have a g80/81/85 and I was between buying an external 4k prores recorder or upgrade my camera to another with more robust internal codec and data rate. Preferably 10bit. And not unimportant (to me) reducing the rig size.
In the beginning of the year there were 2 (in my reach) - gh5 and gh5s. The low light performance of the gh5 kept me hesitating (not a big enough upgrade for me) and the gh5s pricing well ( in sony FF space )
Then shortly after this lovely (on paper) BMPCC4k got announced which checked all my (important) boxes. Similar ( pure speculation ) low light performance to the gh5s included.
And now the Fuji Xt3 is making an entrance. (and im sure many other will follow...well...probably not canon)

But I will not cancel my preorder (no. 3 on the list from my vendor ). The DNG raw is not a must for me. The prores is.
However with the release of BRAW that might change. It kinda set a new milestone to me. Datarates are presumably in prores space. And the fact that it is multiplatform and open to all to integrate into their software is big in my opinion. Not like prores that is mac first.  If BRAW  is prores smooth to work with then it is so much more interesting for me. The other camera producers are at least one generation behind now (if it work outside the press release 😉)

I guess for my use, whatever the AS73 may offer, I probably will be fine with pocket4K (if it delivers)

It is also sensor-limited. We're not talking about a sensor as good as the X-T3 or A7 III. And the slow-mo is an even bigger crop.

Sure, like i.e the Red Scarlett etc. Would have been nice to avoid that big a crop. But for me not a dealbreaker.
Since the glass I have is m43, 43 and omd the mft sensor plays nice with me.
I would love a sony FF. But for my use and needs for the moment this will make more sense to me. 

Sure, I liked what ProRes and RAW brought to the image with the last Pocket camera, certainly in the creamy shadows and in low light.

But it was as good in 10bit ProRes as it was in Cinema DNG RAW.

So 10bit H.265 at the same bitrate as ProRes with Fuji F-LOG from a larger BSI 6K sensor with full pixel readout (possibly Samsung) has the potential to be just as good if not better.

Not to mention the fact it is much easier to go full frame on the S35 sensor with a Speed Booster than to turn the Pocket 4K sensor into no-crop.

I remember your article some 5 years back ago comparing h265 10bit and prores444 the latter having 100x bigger file sizes with perceptually no difference in quality (great article btw) 
I know it is not that simple since licensing and silicon and heat dispersion power consumption etc has to be taking into account. But options has been on the market for a while. Makes you wonder why basically only Samsung in the day embraced that codec.
I do find prores much smoother to work with than h264 in 4k/uhd. H265 without hardware acc decoding must quite challenging.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Indeed. Here's another one ; -)

Ha! The good old 1D C and C500. 

Yeah, they're awful. Look at the noise in the image!

And the motion cadence. Ugh.

And the colors. Ugh. 

And that highlight roll off. Ugh. 

Of course the way forums are....  no one can tell if I'm being serious or sarcastic 😉

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well the best artists steal I suppose.

And I totally see the logic giving a demo unit to someone with 55 subscribers.

derek.jpg

And 54 of those subscribers came along after he uploaded the new BMPCC4K footage! :-P 

A UK store just told me that they're not expecting the camera until early October now - but may just be taking a cue from B&H ? They refused to be clear if that was for preorders or for new customers.

A Dutch store still expect a shipment in September, but are unsure of a date, and how many they'll receive.

Another Dutch store has closed their preorders.

27 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

I know this has been talked about before, SD-Cards, just curious. Technically I can shoot 8.5min of 4K DCI RAW 30p with this correct?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317916-REG/sandisk_sdsdxpk_128g_ancin_extremepro_uhs_ii_128gb.html

I have that card, ill let you know when the cam arrives

54 minutes ago, Newway12 said:

In your opinion what are the advantages of of using sd or Cfast cards over an ssd?  To me it’s way more expensive to use cards?

cables free..If you shoot running it's safer

Someone know if unplugging the cable while recording corrupts all the current clip?

1 hour ago, jack86 said:

cables free..If you shoot running it's safer

Someone know if unplugging the cable while recording corrupts all the current clip?

Yeah, no cables.

And I don’t think it corrupts all files, probably the clip you’re recording, but nothing else.

1 hour ago, Dan Keeble said:

With the new BRAW codec, you shouldn't need to record onto anything other than SD cards. 

BRAW Uncompressed is 550MB/s (30p) and I think if you want to shoot 4K 60p in both 3:1 and Q0 you'd have to use CFast or SSD.

45 minutes ago, jack86 said:

I feel like anyone is getting in on P4K train, how can we be sure were this footage is coming from?!

with BRAW - the blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k maybe the best smallest cinema camera ever made.

I am curious to see dynamic range, skintones and motion and low light capabilities.

After taking the new Ursa Mini Pro with BRAW for a turn - all the limitations - the low iso, the magneta shifting, the dead skintones - all have been lifted from my eyes

1 hour ago, Ed_David said:

with BRAW - the blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k maybe the best smallest cinema camera ever made.

My sentiments exactly.

It seems to me that this camera is going to just get out of the way of the creative process from shooting (good monitor, hopefully good audio, great low light), to editing (low bit rate for ease of playback of multiple video streams), to grading (RAW and recall of the camera shooting settings, and good color science).

Blackmagic has removed the issues that get in the way of me just getting out and shooting and editing.

Dynamic range is a question I would like to answered as well...