Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

27 minutes ago, tonysss said:

Orig. Pocket with orig.Nikon battery = 50min-60min. If i imagine BMPCC4K with NP970, i'm glad i have a real POCKET!  ? with 2x stabilized lens and mic, and still in the palm of your hand... 

Setups that are larger and more complicated definitely have their downsides, that's for sure...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
6 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Not sure what I'm looking at in BTM Pix's post?

Sorry, it was a bit naughty of me just putting that up like that with no explanation.

If we told you what it is though, you might not actually believe it :)

We will do in a week or so though.

When is somebody going to make a decent loupe for this camera? I got the cheap Australian one from eBay, it’s not great, but better than nothing. BMD should make a loupe. One of the things I like about the Sigma FP is Sigma is making the essential accessories for it. It’s been over a year since the P4K was launched at NAB and we still can’t get a high quality loupe or a P4K specific speed booster. ?

• Super Members
33 minutes ago, The ghost of squig said:

When is somebody going to make a decent loupe for this camera? I got the cheap Australian one from eBay, it’s not great, but better than nothing. BMD should make a loupe. One of the things I like about the Sigma FP is Sigma is making the essential accessories for it. It’s been over a year since the P4K was launched at NAB and we still can’t get a high quality loupe or a P4K specific speed booster. ?

The Grid one for the BMCC and RED LCD etc works with it

grid-accessories-4.7-viewfinder-300x300.jpg.8d5eb2d24ec4bd6d92d5b5a23bad899e.jpg

At $241 its not cheap though unfortunately.

https://www.gridaccessories.com/products/grid-5-0-viewfinder/

Hoodman do a riser to let their 3" loupe be used on a 4" LCD and I seem to recall someone made a 3D printable version based on that idea to attach to a 5".

I  think I made a note of it somewhere and can track it down if you're interested ?

On 7/15/2019 at 8:55 AM, drm said:

I used the P4Ks all day yesterday at a shoot where I was regularly going from outside in direct sunlight, to shady areas, then to indoor areas with varying light. If you plan to use the P4K in a quickly moving shoot, I **strongly** encourage you to mount an external daylight-viewable monitor to your P4K.

The screen on the P4K works great, unless you are in direct sunlight. In direct sunlight, it is basically unusable. I mounted my SmallHD 5" monitor on top to help, but even that wasn't really bright enough. I could have used one of my 7" Ninja Infernos, but they are kinda big when going handheld. I prefer a 5" monitor unless I am on a tripod. I think that I am going to buy the 2200nit Feelworld monitor and try it, just for kicks (it is a 7", but it is light). I could pick up the Atomos Shinobi, but I need HDMI in and out.

So, for all of you planning to use the P4K in sunlight, you will have to find shade regularly to review your shots, or pick up a bright external monitor. Happy shooting!

After my bright sunlight shoot the other day, I went looking for a brighter portable monitor. I just received the Feelworld 279S monitor (2200nit). It was on sale at Amazon for Primeday for less than $280 for the SDI/HDMI version. This monitor really is viewable in direct sunlight. I have only played with it for a few hours, but this appears to be a pretty decent monitor, particularly for the price. It is fairly well built, but there is a lot of plastic (as you would imagine for the price). As long as you don't drop it, I think it will be fine. There is only a 1/4" mount on the bottom, not the sides or top, so be aware of that when thinking about mounting options. It also only has two function buttons, like for histogram & false color, but you can customize them to your preferred function.

I think that people will have to be careful judging exposure just by looking at the monitor since it is so bright. It does have several exposure tools like false color, histogram, & zebras, so that will help you get exposure right (I didn't see waveforms).

I suspect that I would really like the new Atomos Shinobi (I have Ninja Infernos), but I need HDMI in & out. I am going to place this in my workflow and see how it goes. This is an interesting new toy.

This is a terrible photo that I snapped with my phone that shows you a little bit about how the monitor compares to the monitor in the P4K. The P4K monitor is a little better than it looks in the image if you move around to get an angle with less glare.

IMG_3566.thumb.jpg.0864b3b0c1837674ef50ddfc73db7ba3.jpg

On 7/13/2019 at 9:30 AM, MeanRevert said:

Jordan, I think you are the yoga king if that non-tiltable, non-movable screen doesn't bother you, my friend.

As the former owner of a GH5, I must say, the tiltable screen was not very usable for me. 1) When you tilt it, the sun reflects directly off of it, so it's unviewable. 2) To tilt it up, you have to flip it out, and when you do that, it makes reaching the lens focus ring with your left hand almost impossible. You have to go under the camera, which is extremely awkward.

I would have much preferred the Sony design, where it tilts without swinging out. The screen was a big factor in me buying the GH5, and I was wildly disappointed.

2 hours ago, StHubbins said:

As the former owner of a GH5, I must say, the tiltable screen was not very usable for me. 1) When you tilt it, the sun reflects directly off of it, so it's unviewable. 2) To tilt it up, you have to flip it out, and when you do that, it makes reaching the lens focus ring with your left hand almost impossible. You have to go under the camera, which is extremely awkward.

I would have much preferred the Sony design, where it tilts without swinging out. The screen was a big factor in me buying the GH5, and I was wildly disappointed.

I think screens are an impossible challenge.  You either build it so it tilts up and down or so that it flips out and then tilts.  There are pros and cons to both designs, and neither design helps that much in bright sunlight.

I've had times when the flippy screen on the GH5 was a PITA because I wanted to tilt it up but didn't want to basically double the width of the camera.  Other times I've appreciated the fact I could angle the screen more than facing directly up or down, and occasionally I've used it in selfie-mode.  I also routinely use the EVF because it's not bright enough for full sun.

At our current level of technology it's basically an unsolvable problem.

2 hours ago, kye said:

I think screens are an impossible challenge.  You either build it so it tilts up and down or so that it flips out and then tilts.  There are pros and cons to both designs, and neither design helps that much in bright sunlight.

I've had times when the flippy screen on the GH5 was a PITA because I wanted to tilt it up but didn't want to basically double the width of the camera.  Other times I've appreciated the fact I could angle the screen more than facing directly up or down, and occasionally I've used it in selfie-mode.  I also routinely use the EVF because it's not bright enough for full sun.

I am 100% fun of the tilt up and down design. You can work high or low and maintain a very good balance to work with. For me that is solved.