What cameras are you actually using?

kye

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Any reason why you use the P4K over the P6K for work?

“Work” isn’t primarily film or video related. I make short films to illustrate the courses/lectures I teach at University - so it’s me talking at a fixed distance in front of a green screen and the P4k plus Nikon 24mm is perfect for my workflow. I have a “studio” set up and the P4k lives on the tripod. My recently acquired P6k has a Nikon 50-300mm attached (and bolted to a frame) so not easy to change. Given the price of BM’s pocket series it made sense for me to get the P6k for fun rather than dismantling the set up and using the 4k. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

GH6. There is something special about V-Log with high dynamic range enabled and the Panasonic V-Log to REC709 LUT. I have never had such an easy time with color grading. I made the move up from the GH5 because I wanted better audio focus and to be able to record 4 channels of audio, which the GH6 will with the Panasonic stereo XLR audio hot shoe adapter.

I'm still using my 5D Mark iii with ML Raw as my main camera for hobby narrative filmmaking. I recently bought a Sigma FP which I like okay enough. I also have a BMMCC all rigged out but I never use it. I think I'll sell it soon so I can hold onto the FP for a bit longer.

I'm still unsure about the FP. I like it, but it doesn't feel like an extension of my arm like my 5D does. Here's a frame from the FP with the Nikkor 35mm 1.4 ai-s lens that I took recently while working on a short film...

787611FC-DD10-4CBC-B941-2287F9F9589D.thumb.jpeg.ee402fe49d940d597019846e8d875d71.jpeg
Otherwise, I have a few film cameras I enjoy walking around with when I'm out and about.

Interesting thread as usual ; )

P4K when not P6K (as used in some major work already posted along these boards)

GX85 which replaced a few G7 bodies still ready to work (better to not ask for the rest of the collection! LOL)

Canon M (ML RAW obviously)

Osmo Pocket 2

Insta360 One X2

OnePlus 9 Pro as real pocket one : D

R5C to come soon maybe

(and most probably) ZV-E1 because I don't see any better travel cam these days

Cerise on top: GoPro 11 or perhaps 12 from September on, as ultimate upgrade of that couple of units (version 10 already sold) for 3D stereo acquisition...

On 4/5/2023 at 7:30 PM, FHDcrew said:

Very awesome kit!  The GH2's are so killer for the price!  GH1's as well, you can get them for under $100 if you look hard enough!  Such a nice 1080p image from those older Lumix MFT cams, back when I used a Panasonic G7 as my main camera I always liked the mojo I got from the 1080p image, despite it being pixel binned and a low bitrate it had surprisingly good detail and held up well all things considered.  Would often use it instead of 4k to save filespace, and I always was happy with the results!

Thanks for you response. I actually had a technical question: what's the difference between the terms "pixel binned" and "line skipped"? On many Panasonic cameras, my understanding is that the 1080p image is devised of 4x4 or 6x6 blocks of pixels to make one pixel. This is unlike the GH6 which "down-samples" a 6k-ish image to 1080p. Personally, I don't see a huge difference in quality, maybe just moiré patterns (but that could just be the processing). With the A7rii 1080p (FF) image, it did line-skipping which left many more aliasing and moiré problems... still, it wasn't bad. With the GH2's HDMI, it offers a 50i image output, but the Atem puts it back to a 25p image that looks decent without any interlacing. I suspect it's simple due to the AVCHD codecs of the day when 25p wasn't actually possible, only 50i. My RX100 (mark 1) had something similar. So what exactly does "pixel binned" mean?

Welcome back dude, and stay around!

Image is like my 3rd job in the industry, so I spend a lot of money for sound mainly, but recently I worked with A) GH5 3 cameras setup B) A7Siii and A7iii setup C) last night we worked with 2 C300mkIII and 2 C70s, I love the latter..

Personally, 

I still using my fleet of NX cameras, mainly because the lens collection is amazing. I bought this past summer the R7 and a couple of years ago the BMP4K. I am relatively set for the moment, but I am eyeing the R8 now, mainly because I have so many EF and RF lenses that makes perfect sense to just have the option..

As I said, it isn't my main job, but I want to stay relevant somehow (that is why I have the Pocket for braw, and the R7 for the run and gun..

Stuck with the a7sIII and a7IV. May be shifting the a7sIII since I shoot a ton of stills and want a higher mp camera. The XH2s is still tempting, but Fuji's AF is just meh compared to the Sony's. Sometimes my eye wanders to the FX30. My main cam for the last year+ has been the a7IV thanks to its stellar AF. But like everyone, mostly my damn iPhone for everything else.

Chris

4 minutes ago, kye said:

Current totals and some very shallow analysis.

image.png.42bdbd4eb85bdc105525214b1d9a1863.png

image.png.484d9dfaee95f0bb20db26d27cd865b4.png

image.png.0125cbeff1232ea9a036ffd5009ae2c8.png

image.png.24975c450076baed7865b3a30c939ba0.png

Not much overlap between what is used and what is discussed, and not much respect for what people are actually using.

Good point...we should start talking more about the cameras we already own and about making the most with them.

22 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Thanks for you response. I actually had a technical question: what's the difference between the terms "pixel binned" and "line skipped"?

They literally mean what the words say. 

"Pixel binning" is taking the average for that bin.

While "Line Skipping" is skipping over entire lines, no calculations done whatsoever. 

That is why line skipping generally performs so much worse. 

1 hour ago, kye said:

Current totals and some very shallow analysis.

Sound Devices is missing from the list of brands 😞

I gave you a like for your unusual choice @Rinad Amir of camera. Noooot:) But for the Konica 35-100 F2.8 which you might have combined with it, which a I got because of your recommendation. Best direct lens recommendation I got, besides my 8EUR Tokina 25-50 F4 from @andy lee, one of Eoshds lens connoisseurs.

I put my Fs700 to a bit of use for some additional income, in HD 420 mostly. S1 got a little share of that. GX85 my eternal love, awesome beautiful image taker and camera. Sony PMW F3 waiting to get any use:) BMMCC used for some camera enjoyment. 5D2 and 3 to test which one is cooler for raw video and hopefully not collecting dust with the F3. Second FS700 never used, collecting dust. BMPCC og collecting dust. I am a dust collector like my lenes. Don´t start me on lenses:) Still got a G7, Oly Pen EP2 and E-PL1 🙂 

Looking forward to see some (moving) images from your beauties. 🙂 @Ty Harper @majoraxis

Welcome back to the forum @kye 🙂