EOSHD testing finds Canon EOS R5 overheating to be fake

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is incredibly interesting. Would be nice to have a third party try this out and see if the results are replicated.

I think this next firmware is going to “fix” that EXIF temperature reporting. Why the fuck did they implement this absurd recovery timer. It’s beyond the realm of defense for being a “conservative” feature to protect the camera from overheating. It’s straight up bullshit, it seems.

Great stuff.

• Administrators

If there is indeed a hardware problem such as the LSI running too hot or certain parts of the chip not turning off when idle, then Canon may have originally developed this kind of temperature monitoring system to keep things in check.

But the fake element of it is that the actual temps my camera is reporting are nowhere near problematic and the recovery timer is completely out of whack with both ambient temps and the actual cool down temps of the electronics.

So it is likely they found a convenient outlet in the temp management system for a classic Cripple Hammer.

I want answers from Canon and I will be seeking them starting tomorrow.

How did you test whether the temperature reported by the Canon firmware is an accurate measure of the temperature of whatever component (or part thereof)  it purports to measure?  I’d be reluctant to rely on that reported temperature when making conclusions. It would be preferable to measure the temperature independently. 
But that notwithstanding, interesting stuff! 

2 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

How did you test whether the temperature reported by the Canon firmware is an accurate measure of the temperature of whatever component (or part thereof)  it purports to measure?  I’d be reluctant to rely on that reported temperature when making conclusions. It would be preferable to measure the temperature independently. 
But that notwithstanding, interesting stuff! 

Yes I agree. But how? I’m not sure you can take off the back panel and expose the PCB and keep everything working. You would need to take temperature readings from inside.

• Administrators

The temperature reported by the EXIF data more-or-less corresponds with the Chinese heat gun thermometer tests out there as well and it closely resembles the ambient temp of my room at the moment, I am sweltering in 30 degrees heat!

I suppose the easy test would be to cool the camera right down in a freezer, quickly take 1 shot then analyse that EXIF data.

It is very unlikely the camera is reporting wrong data in the EXIF. It is very basic to get right, even for Canon.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

If there is indeed a hardware problem such as the LSI running too hot or certain parts of the chip not turning off when idle, then Canon may have originally developed this kind of temperature monitoring system to keep things in check.

But the fake element of it is that the actual temps my camera is reporting are nowhere near problematic and the recovery timer is completely out of whack with both ambient temps and the actual cool down temps of the electronics.

So it is likely they found a convenient outlet in the temp management system for a classic Cripple Hammer.

I want answers from Canon and I will be seeking them starting tomorrow.

+1

• Super Members

There is also a relative relationship between the exif data temperature and the inhibitor triggers that are read from the internal temperature status monitor object.

When the temperature goes up in the exif files the inhibitions increase in the camera.

When the temperature comes down so do the inhibitions.

Its like an inverse of a beach holiday to Magaluf.

Great work Andrew. If your findings are correct it might really be the cripple hammer and that would actually be so canon like. They lost me as a customer 2014 when I bought the the a7s and sold the 5d mk 2 and mk3. I thought Japanese companies have higher standards then this. Maybe somebody will do some harakiri these days...