Canon EOS R5 - 8K30p 4K120p

wolf33d

25 minutes ago, Django said:

Anyways, I'll be glad to no longer consider 1DX3 as an option. That form facto, lack of IBIS & price was not something I was excited about after the initial hype wore off (I even skipped the local preview event yesterday!).

Exactly my thought. To be able to have some of the tech of the 1DXmkIII in one of those next bodies is good, because at least we have the choice now.
You're talking about the preview event in Paris? If so i was there, it was interesting, not a lot of people and i was able to have the body to really test it out. It's impressive, and to think maybe some of those features will be in one of the next mirrorless bodies is awesome.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah my guess is 8K TimeLapse like Nikon introduced some time ago..

Nikon-D850-slides-1.jpg

27 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

You're talking about the preview event in Paris? If so i was there, it was interesting, not a lot of people and i was able to have the body to really test it out. It's impressive, and to think maybe some of those features will be in one of the next mirrorless bodies is awesome.

Yeah in Bastille. I had planned to go but something came up. I don't regret now with these new rumoured products! My next camera will have IBIS, that much is for sure..

11 hours ago, gt3rs said:

You are saying that 1dx is crippled with questionable features.... like the dpaf in FF, like many others in this forum, there are 3 threads with multiple posts similar to yours saying that Canon is crippling dpaf in ff without realizing that nobody else has ever have made Raw ff with af.... so your post was good info contains?

No, my original post complained about Canon's long history of crippling their cameras and taking history as a guide, wondered what they will cripple on this camera (which is still in rumor phase).

My second post I referenced the 1DXIII, maybe that was a poor choice, but do you need me to list the TXi series using the same sensor for half a decade, the missing 24P modes of EOS-M6, RP and 90D (which then magically appeared months later after that other not to be named user of this forum claimed Canon couldn't do it because reasons), the lack of 1080p24fps on several higher end cameras etc.

Are you saying that Canon doesn't have a history of crippling cameras??? Are you serious?

27 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Are you saying that Canon doesn't have a history of crippling cameras??? Are you serious?

Canon doesn't cripple cameras... Not on purpose at least.  Well, you see.. there's this thing that roams around.  People call it the "canon cripple hammer".  When canon managers think they should add X or Y feature that would make their cameras "too" awesome, the cripple hammer would hit them in the head forcing them to either drop the feature or scale it back.  True story.  Saw it on youtube.

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The sensor itself is a computer chip. Larger die size = more heat.

The heat that limits camera performance is processor heat, not sensor heat. Sensor size has nothing to do with it.

An overheating processor will shut down or throttle to prevent damage to itself. The level of throttling and when that happens will determine what specs the camera will be able to meet. All modern sensors are capable of much more performance than what current cameras deliver, the bottleneck is the processor and what it is capable of (which in turn is limited by the thermal envelope in which it can reliably operate).

Unless you are suggesting that camera processors operate by magic and not the same principles as processors in computers and GPUs.

2 hours ago, Mokara said:

Unless you are suggesting that camera processors operate by magic and not the same principles as processors in computers and GPUs.

Last time I checked, my phone didn't have a fan and is extremely compact. Let me check again....Yup.

Yet, RED has a heatsink on their sensors....and feels it's important to give you temp readouts for their sensor. MY guess, is that the DSPs they are using are still stuck on old process nodes, even as old as 55nm. Compare that to the latest Apple and Samsung devices at 7nm. A lot less heat and voltage at 7nm.

1 hour ago, Dunjoye said:

Well I believe it when I see it. 

I'm with you and have serious doubts myself, but let's not forget canon announced their plans for an 8k camera shortly after the launch of the EOS R. 

From an Imaging Resource interview with Canon a year ago: 

Video will play a huge role in the EOS R System for sure. For example, an 8K video capable camera is already in our EOS R-series roadmap. 

So who knows, maybe they are indeed ready to deliver on their promise...?

While I don't see why 8K should be important to them or to anybody at all, if that spec also brings us closer to 4k 120p in those cameras, I'm all for it... 

Is there any mention of internal 10-bit on this thing? At least up to 60fps? You know Canon will cripple this camera in some way. 8-bit only? 420 only? Overheating? 29-minute recording limit? No 422 10-bit out the HDMI? There will be a catch. And they will price it as if there was no catch. For now, I'm happy with my S1, but Canon has a chance to re-dominate the market again. Will they choose to do it? Will they actually give people what they want?

In order to recover from our late entry into the mirrorless camera market, we have plans to launch a model that incorporates a newly developed image sensor and image-processing engine that offer even more advanced features.

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-releases-financials-and-lays-out-advanced-eos-r-plans/?fbclid=IwAR0p-iQG09dDym6CRrOc7mEW9Ek_xDZ6VJ9HCldtL3JTmtcicQcFDMzGXrA

Looks like Sony might delay a7S III once again 😄

mighty interested in this as well. Heck, we have the S1H and XT-4 for anamorphic nuts like me already, i really wonder what Canon will pony up in 2 weeks. 

The canon really got one big advantage over the other 2 :  the RF to EF ND adapter. that alone could sway me.