Canon EOS R5 - 8K30p 4K120p

wolf33d

This makes a ton of sense and seems to show that Canon released the EOS R and RP to get into the mirrorless space, but were really just launch models to slow the bleeding to Sony and Fuji. Then they focused on the the things they are amazing at (lenses, adapters, color, etc) until they could get their mirrorless tech in a place that really swayed people. 

I don't see this as a competitor to the 1DX III at all. If you're main thing is video, then the 1DX style body is not that enticing compared to something like the C200 or EVA-1 (same weight basically), whereas a much more compact mirrorless body is. Plus the 1DX III is for Olympic photographers and people who really need OVF/DSLR/speed. I'd try it out for video if that was my only option with Canon, but I'd probably default to an S1H or XT4 for my go-to video body instead because the 1DX has too many limitations (fixed screen, no EVF, huge, hard to use on small gimbals, etc).

In the end, Canon may have set this up pretty perfectly. They have the really high-end, top notch lenses available when these two, souped-up models are dropped. Whereas Panasonic dropped some souped-up models but no real lenses for them. They've added some, but the refrain continues (and autofocus, of course).

But I just hope Canon focuses on great 4K (10-bit 422, 60fps in 10-bit, maybe 12-bit raw like C200) rather than push for 8-bit 8k (but that may be what the R6 is for). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, MediaMan said:

Kinda feel bad for Panasonic. After all the disappointments from Canon in the last few years I was actually rooting for the S1H. They were actually listening to the marketplace.

Well, it‘s still a good camera, no matter what Canon is releasing.
I think this rumors are mainly good news for Canon shooters, a sign their brand might start to appreciate the needs of the video crowd a bit more. Something Panasonic is doing anyway since years.
Is that really a common thing: switching brand/equipment every time a new „best of class“ camera drops?  

Ok just to add my two cents. As I said in another thread I talked to a Canon rep on tuesday and he told me that on the video side the announcement that will come in February (he told me specifically before March)  will have me happier than ever. I was telling him that I loved the EOS R on the stills part but on the video though it is better than advertised all across the internet, it lacks some really important things. And he smiled, really confidently, and told me to not worry at all, to just wait for the next announcement.
Then today I spoke with a Canon Ambassador, over 30mn on the phone. We talked about her next projects etc and I couldn't help myself to ask for advice, i know she's one of the early professional adopters of the EOS R, and I told her I wanted to buy a second body, I was waiting for the next iteration of the R line, but was hesitant to not buy right now a second EOS R. She just told me this : "you better wait! I signed a NDA so I can't tell nothing but you really better wait. Something big is coming" She insisted on the "Big"... I speak to some Canon reps or this ambassador from time to time and got some insights sometime. But never, never I saw them this confident about a coming product. 
So yes, something really big is coming, and I think it will be a game changer.

I am glad I ditched Sony and go back to Canon last year, all I need now is the tasty new body 😎

But man those new R5/R6 definitely make my R look like dinosaur for sure, but R still producing pleasing image with minimum tweaking.

Now just need Tamron to port their lens to RF and that will be perfect.. not all of us need big expensive lens.

My interest for Red Komodo 6K drop to 0%

I really don't know about this. Cannon's massive, INTENSE and irresistible desire to cripple the HELL out of their cameras....is going to make them shoot themselves in the foot again. I just know it.

Cannon pays more attention to their feature limiting tricks than their focus on feature enabling work.

Cannon is just like what Yoda told Luke:

"Always with you, what CANNOT be done..."

Cannon cares more about what they cant or shouldnt do then what they can or should do.

20 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I am glad I ditched Sony and go back to Canon last year, all I need now is the tasty new body 😎

But man those new R5/R6 definitely make my R look like dinosaur for sure, but R still producing pleasing image with minimum tweaking.

Now just need Tamron to port their lens to RF and that will be perfect.. not all of us need big expensive lens.

My interest for Red Komodo 6K drop to 0%

Exactly the same I did ! Ditched Sony last year tired of trying to grade Slog on an 8 bits codec... Even C-Log in 8 bits is way better and more solid thant S-Log in sony mirrorless. I came back to canon and I really knew they would commit fully on mirrorless bodies. 
Tamron, Sigma and Samyang/Ronkinon will port their lenses, it's just a matter of time...

Good times...

i wouldnt say panasonic is out. their s1h is still my first pic. by far. 10bit, awesome varicam color science. also custom LUTs, and dedicated anamorphic recording modes AND anamorphic IBIS modes.

As long as Canon doesnt do those... ill stick with the S1H. im waiting for mid February to decide ;)

We anamorphic nuts might just be a few, but we are vocal xD

I think Canon has shown with the C500 II and 1DX Mark III that they are through crippling their cameras until they regain a much steadier and more dominant lead over the competition. People claim that Canon crippled the 1DX Mark III because it can't do AF in 50/60fps 5.5k raw, but if they just launched it with 24/30fps in 5.5k raw, people would still have been blown away. Same with the 10-bit 4k 422. Yes, you have to crop the sensor 1.3x to get 10-bit 422 with AF, but these are added bonuses to a camera that offers things NO other mirrorless or DSLR offers. I'm not sure I'd call it a real cripple.

And the C500 II is just packed to the brim. If anything, it has been Sony that has been crippling their cameras intentionally in comparison. Panasonic hasn't, but their AF is seen as such a bummer, that they basically have (whether they have a choice or not, not sure).

With the lenses Canon has been putting out, I really do think they are coming out swinging in 2020. Two monster full-frame RF cameras and I bet a C300III with the RF Mount at NAB 2020 that is the direct competitor to the FX9 but, unlike that camera,  will have internal 4k raw, 4k 120fps, and a full-frame sensor.

hmm, I still think this is hype and we will see the usually bizarre crippling but if it is true...

I might invest in RF and canon. 8K is more than I’ll ever need. If they can deliver no crop 4K up to 60p (120p is icing on the cake) with dual pixel auto focus, 10 bit Clog, IBIS and color science then good on Canon.

The S1H is that now but without good AF. Which is a real shame because they make great cameras and give the people what they want and I trust them more than Canon. But autofocus performance, if not sorted out, will kill any future Panasonic cameras I’m afraid.

But man oh man, those RF lens prices pucker the ol’ b-hole.

Say $2799 for the new R5, $2,299 for 15-35, and $2,799 for 70-200...

Thats $8K...