Jump to content
wolf33d

Canon EOS R5 - 8K30p 4K120p

Recommended Posts

Well, ladies and gentlemen are we in the most exciting year since a decade for video gear? If this is true then yes. Canon rumors is usually reliable unlike Sony Alpha Rumors that is pure BS. Especially when rated CR3. So here you have it.

Canon EOS R5 for photo + in february

45mpx / IBIS / 8k30p and 4k120p / canon DPAF. Comes with Canon colors and menus that we know.  My dream camera and then more... the one I have been wishing for since many years on EOSHD. The one that could take me back to Canon. 

Also if true, Sony is dead. Canon took a massive hit with Sony being far better than their products since the A7III. They saw a massive number of people like me jump boat, even if massively invested in their system. They released in rush and too late an absolutely shitty EOS R, with laughable video specs, mediocre stills performance (FPS, dynamic range...), no IBIS and early gen mistakes. They should be dying now or soon. Yet before dying it seems they are giving all they can now to make a turn. We can clearly see that with the 1DX3, and HOPEFULLY we will see that with that thing. 
Why R5? Is it to rule the Sony RIV? :).

Anyway Specs sound unreal... so brace yourself. But dreaming is free.

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r5-specifications/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Well, ladies and gentlemen are we in the most exciting year since a decade for video gear? If this is true then yes. Canon rumors is usually reliable unlike Sony Alpha Rumors that is pure BS. Especially when rated CR3. So here you have it.

Canon EOS R5 for photo + in february

45mpx / IBIS / 8k30p and 4k120p / canon DPAF. Comes with Canon colors and menus that we know.  My dream camera and then more... the one I have been wishing for since many years on EOSHD. The one that could take me back to Canon. 

Also if true, Sony is dead. Canon took a massive hit with Sony being far better than their products since the A7III. They saw a massive number of people like me jump boat, even if massively invested in their system. They released in rush and too late an absolutely shitty EOS R, with laughable video specs, mediocre stills performance (FPS, dynamic range...), no IBIS and early gen mistakes. They should be dying now or soon. Yet before dying it seems they are giving all they can now to make a turn. We can clearly see that with the 1DX3, and HOPEFULLY we will see that with that thing. 
Why R5? Is it to rule the Sony RIV? :).

Anyway Specs sound unreal... so brace yourself. But dreaming is free.

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r5-specifications/

At first glance it would seem like those specs are such utter BS...but I have to agree with you, Canon Rumors is hands down the best of the rumor sites. For them to put CR3 means that most of this is probably happening. There are still a lot of questions. For example what is the crop for the 4k modes, will the camera shoot raw lite or raw in 4k mode, what are the file sizes, etc.

Also for a company that always wants to protect its cinema line, 8k raw just seems so odd and out of left field. I have a couple of initial reactions - one is that Canon want to get the specs leaked to scare Sony, but some of the specs are misleading. The second one is that they are actually accurate and Canon does not want to mess around anymore and they realize in order sell the expensive new RF glass they have, they need to go nuclear and drop a camera with such insane specs that everyone and their mother wants to switch over. All I know is that 2020 is about to be an insane year - XT4, A7S3, all these new Canon cameras, possible GH6, Red Komodo, possible new Canon C400, and who knows what Blackmagic has cooking. Start saving now, it is going to be an expensive year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization

The inclusion of this in the specs is a strong indicator of BS.

7-8 stops of stablisation would defy physics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, androidlad said:

The inclusion of this in the specs is a strong indicator of BS.

7-8 stops of stablisation would defy physics.

Canon traditionally released under whelming spec’d cameras and now suddenly has the fastest readout of any sensor, better IBIS than Panasonic and Olympus, and 8K 30p RAW in a mirrorless form factor?

Why isn’t that in the C500, their flagship cinema camera?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, androidlad said:

The inclusion of this in the specs is a strong indicator of BS.

7-8 stops of stablisation would defy physics.

To be fair, that part is not bolded which would imply the article's author thinks it is less reliable.

But overall I'm skeptical that these are entirely accurate, it's too good to be true or too expensive to be reasonable. On the other hand, I thought similar things about the XT3 but it turned out to be a phenomenal value with amazing image and specs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, androidlad said:

The inclusion of this in the specs is a strong indicator of BS.

7-8 stops of stablisation would defy physics.

Read the article first. He said only the specs in bold were confirmed which is not the case of the 7-8 stops. 
 

Also, @crevice, yes codecs and crops remain to be seen, but considering what they have done on the 1DX, and considering 8K and 4K120 that shows it will rock in videos I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t put at least 10 bit codec. I don’t care about RAW. And in fact a good h265 8bit would be fine when you consider 4K120, that’s just insane. 
 

Now, if I was not clear enough in first comment for sure I am not confident in those specs. Definitely sounds too good to be true. Also how could it beat the 1DX which has bigger body and for sure bigger price is a question. 
But as I said we are allowed to dream..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🤔 so Canon decided to cannibalize their flag ship c500 & 1dx miii ? If this is true than expect 15k tag on it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find these specs utterly laughable: 8k raw? 4k120? hahahahahah

Oh, they posted some clarifications:

8K @ 30fps RAW

As suggested on Twitter by a reader, this could perhaps be a timelapse feature. Things get messed up in translation and excitement.

[email protected] & [email protected]

It’s possible that the video features such as this could come with a heavy crop to get the heat down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not totally impossible as 8K at 30 is less data than 5.5K at 60 and 4k at 120fps could be a 100% crop. Also 45Mpixel at 20 fps... seems fishy but maybe a crop burst like the M6 Ii...

To me it seems all too good to be true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way that this camera would have much better specs than the latest 1D model, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Not totally impossible as 8K at 30 is less data than 5.5K at 60 and 4k at 120fps could be a 100% crop. Also 45Mpixel at 20 fps... seems fishy but maybe a crop burst like the M6 Ii...

To me it seems all too good to be true

Umm....no. 8K at 30 is more data than 5.5k at 60. Do the math.

And remember, this will be in a smaller body that is going to provide less cooling, which means that the camera will do less than the 1D even if it used the same processor.

Not sure what exactly the Digic X is, it may be the sibling of the DV7, meaning it is essentially a Digic 9. Or it may be a processor dedicated to the 1D series, with Digic 9 coming in for the consumer models. If so, then use the E500II as a guide for max specs (in the EOS-R they will be substantially less because of the form factors thermal envelope)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Mokara said:

Umm....no. 8K at 30 is more data than 5.5k at 60. Do the math.

And remember, this will be in a smaller body that is going to provide less cooling, which means that the camera will do less than the 1D even if it used the same processor.

Not sure what exactly the Digic X is, it may be the sibling of the DV7, meaning it is essentially a Digic 9. Or it may be a processor dedicated to the 1D series, with Digic 9 coming in for the consumer models. If so, then use the E500II as a guide for max specs (in the EOS-R they will be substantially less because of the form factors thermal envelope)

I did a quick mental guess, doing the right math is true that 8k is more by ca 4% than 5.5k 60fps so still doable but I doubt in a R model right now

 

5.5k 1dx 5496 x 2904 x 60 = 957'623'040

8k 7680 × 4320  x 30 = 995'328'000

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

I did a quick mental guess, doing the right math is true that 8k is more by ca 4% than 5.5k 60fps so still doable but I doubt in a R model right now

 

5.5k 1dx 5496 x 2904 x 60 = 957'623'040

8k 7680 × 4320  x 30 = 995'328'000

 

At what, like 5Gbps....

Have fun with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How anyone can think that Canon will not cripple their cameras is beyond me.

Even the 1DXIII has questionable PDAF in full frame modes, not to mention no IS in RAW and... NO 24P at launch...

I'll believe it when I see it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scotchtape said:

How anyone can think that Canon will not cripple their cameras is beyond me.

Even the 1DXIII has questionable PDAF in full frame modes, not to mention no IS in RAW and... NO 24P at launch...

I'll believe it when I see it.  

O boy again.... point wich camera can do >4k FF  Raw with AF?

I help you: C700 FF (but only with additional recoding module), C500 II and then 1Dx III.... not really questionable as no other manufacturer has a FF camera that can do it. FF Internal Raw 4k or above with AF no other camera so why people continue to complain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing about this to me is how little I want / need any of these specs. 

I have everything I need in my GH5 right now. I could do with better auto focusing, but other than that? It's pretty close to being perfect for my work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

O boy again.... point wich camera can do >4k FF  Raw with AF?

I help you: C700 FF (but only with additional recoding module), C500 II and then 1Dx III.... not really questionable as no other manufacturer has a FF camera that can do it. FF Internal Raw 4k or above with AF no other camera so why people continue to complain?

There is nothing special about FF when it comes to computational load, the processor does not give a rats ass about pixel size.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...