Canon EOS R5 - 8K30p 4K120p

wolf33d

17 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

O boy again.... point wich camera can do >4k FF  Raw with AF?

I help you: C700 FF (but only with additional recoding module), C500 II and then 1Dx III.... not really questionable as no other manufacturer has a FF camera that can do it. FF Internal Raw 4k or above with AF no other camera so why people continue to complain?

I didn't mention any of those things but ok. #triggeredcanonfan?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I’ll believe it when it’s released and in peoples hands.

Highly doubt Canon would sell you an R camera with better specs and less money than a C500.

Exactly my thoughts.
I don’t believe in these specs so soon, since nobody really asked or need for them.

But on the other side, I’m sure canon will mark 2020 with their new mirrorless, in order to give faith back to the disappointed that left them to go Sony/Fuji/Panasonic.

And then, they’ll start again to cripple their cameras for five or six years.

Yeah, and then at the product announcement you read all the ***

*8K at 30fps: Timelapse mode rendering only
*4k120: 2.3x crop, AF disabled, 2 seconds recording limit, converted to 30fps only

* 7-8 stops IBIS: when combined with 1.8x EIS crop, AF available

$8995

That's being said, if they finally give us clean 4k60, no crop, full sensor read out, no binning or skipping, and not BS crippling, I'll order it right away at $3-4k. Hopefully with some sort of articulated screen and not the size of brick.

3 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Highly doubt Canon would sell you an R camera with better specs and less money than a C500.

I have my doubts too, but perhaps, I mean PERHAPS, it's slowly start to penetrate Canon executives brains that all their stupid crippling is not translating into more C500 sales but increase in Pana/Sony/Fuji sales.

6 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I didn't mention any of those things but ok. #triggeredcanonfan?

You are saying that 1dx is crippled with questionable features.... like the dpaf in FF, like many others in this forum, there are 3 threads with multiple posts similar to yours saying that Canon is crippling dpaf in ff without realizing that nobody else has ever have made Raw ff with af.... so your post was good info contains?

Hopefully a lot of DR, and a better codec. Now prores, braw and other great codecs have become quite common nobody wants to shoot h264 or h265 as it sucks for editing. I own quite some camera's and get asked to shoot prores a lot (and because I can deliver prores to production companies, they also hire me instead somebody with a A7 iii or GH5 or the likes of that).

31 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Hopefully a lot of DR, and a better codec. Now prores, braw and other great codecs have become quite common nobody wants to shoot h264 or h265 as it sucks for editing. I own quite some camera's and get asked to shoot prores a lot (and because I can deliver prores to production companies, they also hire me instead somebody with a A7 iii or GH5 or the likes of that).

Oh shit here we go 😂 

There are now also specs for a Canon R6 on CanonRumors:

Canon EOS R6 Specifications:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor

IBIS

12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.

4K @ 60p

New battery (Not sure if it’s the same as the EOS R5)

June 2020 launch (We think a May announcement)

These look a bit more realistic to me than those of the R5... 8K raw and 4K 120p in a Canon mirrorless body? Sounds too good to be true... Could that even work without a fan considering the S1H has one for 6K recording? 

The Eos R6 rumors specfications is interesting too. It provides basic things in video ( 4k60p at last in a canon body other than the 1dx MkIII) but should be interesting nonetheless considering the probably lower price. It is rated CR2.5 so I assume that it's quite a solid information, just to be double checked. 

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r6-specifications-cr2-5/

5 minutes ago, Michi said:

There are now also specs for a Canon R6 on CanonRumors:

These look a bit more realistic to me than those of the R5... 8K raw and 4K 120p in a Canon mirrorless body? Sounds too good to be true... Could that even work without a fan considering the S1H has one for 6K recording? 

You posted it one minute before mine 😂
And yes it sounds more realistic. But maybe if we put aside the 8k and 4k120 specs, everything is real as the fps are the same on the two rumored bodies, maybe these really are the next two R bodies from Canon, each with its own capabilities, price point and usability.

A lot of confusion it seems over these leaks. Looking at the rumoured info closer:

Scroll wheel added to the back

Liveview/Movie toggle like previous EOS DSLRs

New battery, but the same shape and compatibility as the EOS 5D Mark IV

..what if this new camera wasn't simply the 5D Mark V? (Code name EOS R5)

the R6 sounds more like an EOS R follow-up.

22 minutes ago, Django said:

A lot of confusion it seems over these leaks. Looking at the rumoured info closer:

Scroll wheel added to the back

Liveview/Movie toggle like previous EOS DSLRs

..what if this new camera wasn't simply the 5D Mark V? (Code name EOS R5)

the R6 sounds more like an EOS R follow-up.

Those specs you mention are not confirmed CR3 as they're not in bold. But I think it's just that Canon moved what would be the Canon 5d MkV into a mirrorless pro body, and to make people waiting for a 5dMkIV follow up want to actually make the switch to mirrorless they put a lot on the table specs wise. 

6 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Those specs you mention are not confirmed CR3 as they're not in bold. But I think it's just that Canon moved what would be the Canon 5d MkV into a mirrorless pro body, and to make people waiting for a 5dMkIV follow up want to actually make the switch to mirrorless they put a lot on the table specs wise. 

check again, the above spec is in bold. furthermore, canonrumors added this tidbit:

Is this really the high megapixel replacement for the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R?

It doesn’t feel that way to me, it seems more like an EOS 5D Mark V as it has been presented. Remember, we made up “EOS RS” as a model name and we have no confirmation on what this new camera may be called.

Canon have always been known to react primarily to Nikon, their historical competitor (even the EOS R was announced days after Z6/Z7). And Nikon have just announced their D780. 5D MkIV is also long due for a sequel. Just saying these things do add up.. 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I did a quick mental guess, doing the right math is true that 8k is more by ca 4% than 5.5k 60fps so still doable but I doubt in a R model right now

5.5k 1dx 5496 x 2904 x 60 = 957'623'040

8k 7680 × 4320  x 30 = 995'328'000

3840 x 2160 x 120 = also 995328000

In theory the rate of data coming off the sensor per second, is similar in 8K 30p and 4K 120p to 5.5K at 60p.

However, it would need the 45 megapixel sensor to have the same readout speed as one with half the resolution, bucking all the trends we've ever seen.

In a smaller body with IBIS (harder to cool the sensor)

At a cheaper price.

And this is Canon we're talking about.

The rumour seems wild. I don't think it'll hold up.

If it does then there has been a massive policy and technological shift within Canon to allow it.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Mokara said:

There is nothing special about FF when it comes to computational load, the processor does not give a rats ass about pixel size.

The sensor itself is a computer chip. Larger die size = more heat.

Canon catering to the needs of videographers? Heresy!

It's going to get interesting around here when these cameras do come out lol!

I believe the "shift" in strategy is probably due to tech R&D (EOS R was rushed out the door to be out in time to block Nikon) but also due to slow sales and expanding competition in the FF market. Canon put out a lot of pricey RF glass and needs to move it so that should explain them going all out as they did with 1DX3 (DSLR sales have also been plummeting). 

Of course I agree some of those specs seem too good to be true and will probably feature some kind of catch. 

Canon aren't crazy enough to give you a mirrorless that beats their flagship cine camera.

They certainly seem back in the race though which is a blessing for those of us that haven't yet left the system.

• Administrators

I wouldn't get too excited in a Canon Rumors article.

First they said it would be an 83 megapixel EOS R, and showed Canon had a patent for an 83 megapixel sensor

https://www.canonrumors.com/more-about-the-upcoming-high-megapixel-eos-r-system-camera/

Then they said it would be a 75 megapixel camera, with a continuous shooting rate as slow as the original EOS R

https://www.canonrumors.com/rumoured-canon-eos-rs-specifications-cr1/

Now they are saying 45 megapixel sensor and another model, basically an 1D X Mark III in an EOS R body.

And in between linking to as many shops as possible through as many affiliate links as possible, CR said in 2019:

"We’re told that there are two bodies planned that will be marketed as “professional” bodies when they hit the market in 2020. However, neither one of them will be considered equals or a replacement for the EOS-1D series of DSLRs. We’re going to see an EOS-1D X Mark III next year and that will be the flagship camera from Canon through 2020."

Pure bullshit.

Or dramatic policy shift at Canon.

You decide.

heck, if this is even half-truth ... i'm interested. means i could use my old L glass, lots of anamorphic adapters with the RF to EF ND filter adapter. I guess i am salivating.

For me, a nice ND filter solution with good anamorphic ratios (3:2, 4:3; 6:5) feels like the next step to me. with anamorphic IBIS support ;)

CR is one of the more reliable rumour sites. It does remain a rumour site. Those early specs weren't rated CR3. It does make sense that if we only are less than a month away before the announcement, that more accurate info would emerge.

1DX3 this is not though. 12FPS mechanical barely puts it in 2012 1DX mark 1 league.

We know nothing about buffer. AF. The video specs, I am sure there will be caveats. 

That said, I'll happily upgrade if we just get IBIS and no crop 4K. RAW would be of course icing on the cake.

I wonder if someone at Canon woke up and realised what MLRAW did to 5D3 sales..

Anyways, I'll be glad to no longer consider 1DX3 as an option. That form facto, lack of IBIS & price was not something I was excited about after the initial hype wore off (I even skipped the local preview event yesterday!).